NAPA Gold 1036 Cut Open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter had 4300 Miles and was taken off my Sierra, oil used was Valvoline WB 5-30 at a 2 month period. Mostly highway miles with some aggresive driving. Filter held well, can was medium thickness and pleats were not damaged in any way. Note the seam on the pleats has some pretty thick glue there to hold them together.

This filter was purchased for almost 7 dollars two years ago, Way overpriced. Will continue to use ST's and Delcos as they are half the price and perform just as fine.

NG10361.jpg

NG10363.jpg

NG10365.jpg

NG10369.jpg

NG10368.jpg

NG103610.jpg

NG1036.jpg

NG103613.jpg

NG103614.jpg

NG103612.jpg

NG103617.jpg

NG103616.jpg

One of the best on the market- nice to see they haven't changed a thing after the first internet cutaways showed how good they are all those years ago. Can't do much better than that- no need for overpriced M1, K&N, or RP filters when you can get Wix/NapaGold and P1 for so little.

ssathe filter was on just for 4300 miles. And the media is starting to look wavy. the mobil I ran for over 8 thousand miles. Look perfect like it was on for 3k oci. Not bashing the filter just curious how it would look with double that 4300 interval(media warped,damaged).

Like the metal end caps btw

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
ssathe filter was on just for 4300 miles. And the media is starting to look wavy. the mobil I ran for over 8 thousand miles. Look perfect like it was on for 3k oci. Not bashing the filter just curious how it would look with double that 4300 interval(media warped,damaged).

Like the metal end caps btw

I suspect that the filter media looked wavy the day you installed it- the waviness probably comes from the slight pressure on the end caps that seals the "bottom" end cap to the ADBV. That's the whole thing about cutting open filters- you can't really make any judgment about how any one filter looked before and after use (obviously). If a filter has an assembly flaw- like a tear in the medium- you'll never know it until you've run un-filtered oil for an entire OCI. That's why its all really a statistics game- you cut open a whole bunch (or watch here as lots of people cut open a few each, which is why this forum is so helpful) and see which ones *most often* have flaws or deficiencies.

I actually like M1 filters- they're very well made (presumably by Champion Labs by the looks of them). I just don't know that they're worth $10-15 (depending on size) per filter as opposed to half that for a Pure1 and 1/3 that for a regular Puorlator, Motorcraft (also made by Champion) or Wix.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Looks like a much bigger version of the 1040 I cut open a few weeks ago.

lol, thats exactly what it is.

that filter looks excellent!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes
Way overpriced. Will continue to use ST's and Delcos as they are half the price and perform just as fine.

FYI, if you catch NAPAs filter sale that usually happens every spring these fine filters can be had for just over $3.

Sales are always best. I never buy filters like M1, P1, Wix/NG, K&N, etc. for retail. Always get the deal. M1 filters work out to $5. P1 for $3. Wix for $3-4 ($6 for the Duramax oil filter). Last time got a $20 K&N for the 7.3 Powerstroke for $6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back