MOOG vs. NAPA ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering doing ball joints and have MOOG and NAPA chassis parts available. They are of slightly different design and was wondering if anyone has any input as to which is more durable.

The shop I work at primarily uses MOOG, but lately we've had some issues with boots tearing and seen some ball joints wear out in 6 months time- to clarify, we didn't install them (customer installed), but did notice they were defective.

Last edited:
If the Moog is a "problem-solver" it will be longer lasting. Also if the Moog is made in USA vs somewhere like China or Taiwan it will be the preferred choice in both situations.

NAPA balljoints are Spicer (DANA.) which is OEM for some makers. The ones I got for my focus were made in some south american country.

the napa ones seem very good (premium line anyways) but i got a set for my dakota and they had no grease fitting (and neither did the factory ones which probably led to the demise) where as the moog ones did have zerks, that would be something i'd look at for you application, fom me i'd buy what ever has zerks.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
If the Moog is a "problem-solver" it will be longer lasting. Also if the Moog is made in USA vs somewhere like China or Taiwan it will be the preferred choice in both situations.

Yes, American is definitely preferred. If all else is the same, that will be the deciding factor.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
the napa ones seem very good (premium line anyways) but i got a set for my dakota and they had no grease fitting (and neither did the factory ones which probably led to the demise) where as the moog ones did have zerks, that would be something i'd look at for you application, fom me i'd buy what ever has zerks.

We have installed a handful of NAPA chassis parts and so far they've all had zerks on them. I'll keep an eye out.

If it weren't for the fact that we've seen some (possible fluke) problems with their products, I'd say MOOG all the way. I guess I'm just a bit gun shy.

Originally Posted By: defektes
NAPA balljoints are Spicer (DANA.) which is OEM for some makers. The ones I got for my focus were made in some south american country.

How many miles did they go?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
The shop I work at primarily uses MOOG, but lately we've had some issues with boots tearing and seen some ball joints wear out in 6 months time- to clarify, we didn't install them (customer installed), but did notice they were defective.

The boot defects may not be the fault of the part manufacturer.
Check TSB on cars with damaged boots.
One example is some GM vans and W cars had a sharp edge that needed to removed with a die grinder or it would just cut the new boots.This is especially true of those with zerk fittings as the boot tend to be slightly more inflated when initially filled.

Edit When there is any question about quality go with Moog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Originally Posted By: defektes

the factory one's i replaced had 30k on them, but they were the ones that had been recalled due to early failure, the napa ones i put on had 60k on them when i traded the truck in for a quad cab, but at that point they were still very tight.

How many miles did they go?

as a side note my new dakota was in need of some upper ball joints, so being on a budget i got some from autozone for $40 each (napa ones are almost$90 as are the moog) but they have a lifetime warranty and had zerks, i'm at about 4k on then and i think my drivers side one is starting to clunk,so i guess this is'nt a place to try and save a couple of bucks.

Well you guys aren't making it any easier!

I figured they were probably both good brands, I guess it just comes down to pricing.

The OEM on my focus were at 83k when I destroyed them with a pickle fork and sledge hammer because they seized to the knuckle. They were still good, I replaced them with the NAPA ones that were exactly the same, same factory marks, same everything. NAPA guy confirmed that DANA makes multiple OEM joints. The new ones installed well, and so far have had no issues.

FYI, I would have gotten the Moog just because I like zerks, but I am cash strapped after fixing that car so I had to bite the bullet and get the NAPA Spicer ones.

Also, NAPA has two lines of joints, Master Ride or something, and the NAPA chasis parts ones, I went with the Napa chasis ones.

I put MOOG ball joints and tie rod ends on my truck 8 months ago and just had to replace a tie rod end due to a ripped open boot. Very disappointed in this.

So far the others are holding.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I put MOOG ball joints and tie rod ends on my truck 8 months ago and just had to replace a tie rod end due to a ripped open boot. Very disappointed in this.

So far the others are holding.

Our shop had to warranty some Moog tie rod ends the other day on a Ranger due to ripped boots.

Is there any chance you over greased them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back