Yamalube and Motul 300V Double Ester Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off... who makes Yamalube? (I assume it's just a rebranded oil from one of the big oil companies.)

Second, I have a 2009 Yamaha XT660R, it's a big thumper. The US never received this bike, but the engine is the same as the Yamaha Raptor 660 Quad. It's an Italian designed/made 660cc fuel injected single. The bike now has 4000km on it, it's been running Yamalube 10W-40 semi-synthetic. At the next oil change (in another 2500-3000km) I am going to change the oil. Yamaha recommends oil changes every 10,000km, I'm going to do 5000-6000km. I am thinking of using the Motul 300V Double Ester Full Synthetic from now on. Any ideas about this oil if it's a good idea? Or I could use the Motul 7100 Ester Full Synthetic. I would assume the Double Ester is the top dog from Motul.

The local Yamaha dealership also uses Motul for all their services, because they said, Yamalube costs them and their customers too much.

So, any thoughts on the Synthetics from Motul?

Yamalube is made by a company most have never heard of but they are very big in making OEM products and doing private labeling for a bunch of companies including some of the major oil companies for their speciality items. The name of the company is Life Automotive Products and they are headquartered in Tennessee.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yamalube is made by a company most have never heard of but they are very big in making OEM products and doing private labeling for a bunch of companies including some of the major oil companies for their speciality items. The name of the company is Life Automotive Products and they are headquartered in Tennessee.

Thanks.. I'm surprised there isn't a Wikipedia entry for Yamalube, a google search doesn't yield much information either.

Here is the oil I am thinking of switching too, it's expensive in Australia, but hey, so is an engine rebuild. :D

http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4stroke/4stroke08.html

Last edited:
Where in Australia are you? Your profile says Austin, Texas.

10,000km, that's a decent interval for a big thumper. For my GSX-R750 2007 they recommend 6,000km. I'd run 10w40 winter, autumn, spring and 20w50 summer.

If you are worried about cost you can use a diesel heavy duty engine oil. The difference is next to nothing unless you are using it in competition.

I picked up 20 litres of Caltex (Chevron) Delo 400 15w40 multigrade CI4+ for AUD$82 on special. Normally about AUD$108

$4 per litre compared to $17 per litre for Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 locally imported by Mobil Australia or $22+/litre for speciality imports like Amsoil, Maxima Ultra, Royal Purple.

Just to add, you can get Redline locally, only in US quart bottles at AUD$42/quart. Sounds like a bargain to me if it will last 10x longer than an HDEO. :)

My informant says that currently (lat 5 yrs or so) Yamalube is supplied in the US by Citgo, in Canada by Imperial Oil LTD. In some other countries by Torco.

Actually the informant is a regional sales rep for one of the companies..
Quote:

One of our major private label accounts is Yamaha of Japan. We have been manufacturing for Yamaha since 1973 and supply many of Yamaha?s distributors with their Yamalube brand lubricants in Mexico, South America and Southeast Asia. I want to clarify that we do not make Yamalube for the US or Canadian markets. Actually in Canada, Imperial Oil Co. (ESSO) manufactures the Yamalube brand on behalf of Yamaha Canada and in the US, a company called CITGO makes Yamalube on behalf of Yamaha USA. .

Well Mike I guess the guy I talked with on the phone the other day could have been lying to me. But he told me that his company made all of the Yamalube sold in the USA and Canada. So flip a coin, either he is lying or the other information is outdated. Makes no difference to me who makes it as I don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back