"universal" oil weight by temperature range chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing? I've done some google searching without much luck. Just trying to compare ranges of oil. For instance, my manual shows

100 deg F and below , rec 5w20 for fuel econ and cold starting
0 - 120 deg F 10w30

I copied this weather information from another site, don't know how accurate it is, but it is supposed to be for my area. I am just wondering if the car is driven from roughly march-aprilish to october-novemberish, how do some of the other oiles out there such as a 0w30 or 5w30 fit into my driving schedule. I used to use 0w2-. but have been running 5w30 simply because of the lack of avail for the 0w30 amsoil I was running. I know that people are going to give me grief, but for whatever reason I prefer a 30w oil over a 20w oil, so I ve been trying to avoid any of the 20w oils. Just trying to find the best protection for my engine. It does get driven pretty hard so I try to use a high quality oil.
Code:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Avg. High 30° 34° 45° 58° 70° 80° 84° 81° 74° 61° 48° 34°

Avg. Low 16° 18° 27° 37° 48° 57° 62° 60° 54° 41° 32° 21°

Mean 24° 26° 36° 48° 58° 68° 74° 71° 64° 52° 41° 28°

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be more interested in the average low temps for your area! I also do not run the 5w20 oil in my ford escape, i just don't like or trust a 20w. Its just me but if its 0 f and up i'd run a 5w 30 if it gets under 0f then a ow-xx oil. Or your could just run a 0-w 30 and not worry about it.

If you look at those average temps. we live in a relatively cool place even though it dosn't seem like it this time of year, I am good with 5w20 when approved.
If I lved in Texas I might rethink that

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would be more interested in the average low temps for your area! I also do not run the 5w20 oil in my ford escape, i just don't like or trust a 20w. Its just me but if its 0 f and up i'd run a 5w 30 if it gets under 0f then a ow-xx oil. Or your could just run a 0-w 30 and not worry about it.

You do know a 0W-20 and 5W-20 offer the same protection at operating temp as they are the same thickness when warm. The 0W-20 when cold flows better at startup and is never 'too thin' and a 5W-20 would rarely be better (unless it's Motorcraft since it's ungodly inexpensive and just makes $$$ sense). Also, if it's 0F, you'd better already be running a 0W-20 at that point.

PS what website had that nifty temperature lookup feature? It's useful beyond belief for this forum!

Last edited:
Quote:
Although thinner oils with less antiwear additive outperform more robust products in the 96-hour fuel economy test, it is not clear that such products save fuel over the useful life of the engine.

Every fluid is a compromise. Oils recommended by the auto manufacturers seem to compromise protection from wear under severe conditions to gain fuel economy and catalyst durability. It is important to recognize that to use a product that offers more protection from wear will most likely compromise your warranty. Thicker oils also compromise cold temperature flow, which may be of concern depending upon climate and season.

The best protection against wear is probably a product that is a little thicker (such as SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40) and has more antiwear additives than the oils that support the warranty. The best oil for your vehicle depends on your driving habits, the age of your engine and the climate you drive in, but it is not necessarily the type of oil specified in the owner’s manual or stamped on the dipstick.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

I have run 10w30 in the engine during the middle of summer. I'm most concerned about wear, ability to stand up to abuse, and of course cold starting (even though it is the warmer months, it's not always 70 in the am.)

Last two fills I've used were 5w30 with LM MOS2 added.

I think you're overlooking the fact than an engine can be designed for a thinner oil, and that article is assuming performance in one specific engine, seemingly designed for 10W-30.

Observed engine oil temps of your vehicle in it's operational environment and a universal temp viscosity chart is where your detailed viscosity answers will lie. If a programmer or the renowned ScanGaugeII will not read oil temp via the OBDII port in your application, then you have to install a gauge and sender.

IMO, if your bulk oil temp routinely stays below the viscosity measuring point, 212F, you aren't doing the engine any particular favors running a heavier oil. You aren't hurting it either, though you may be costing yourself a bit of fuel. The evidence seems to point to any improvement in wear running a 30 grade in an engine certified for 20 is inconsequential, if even present (assuming you are following the general viscosity guidelines in the manual). Going the other direction is likely to be similarly inconsequential with most modern engines, especially in cooler climates. Also, many 30 grades (5W30) are at the middle or bottom of the grade anyway and many eventually shear into the 20 range anyway. 20 grade oils seldom shear. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you may be picking nits. Your engine won't notice much difference between the vast majority of 5W20 and 5W30 oils no matter what your average ambient temps.

I have learned from monitoring oil temps for a couple of years, in my application, the 5W20 is running at a bulk oil temp that keeps it in the lower part of the 30 grade range most of the time. If I ran a 30 grade, depending on it's actual cSt viscosity, it might be running in or near the 40 grade. In an OHC, roller follower engine, heavy oil isn't generally needed, so I have stayed in the 20 grade. I am going to try some SAE 30 at the next OCI, but that's mostly an experiment to see how the VCT reacts to the heavier oil. According to most sources, I should also see a slight to moderate increase in oil temps from the heavier oil due to fluid friction. I also closely monitor my fuel economy, so we'll see how that changes too.

The last 4 vehicles that we have owned called for 5W20 oil. It gets hot here. We live about 20 miles from the Florida line. Yesterday our thermometer said 103 degrees for an afternoon high.

We run 5W20 synthetic.

City, and county police run Fords with 5W20 oil. Lots of time the vehicles are parked with the engine running and A/C on. Lots of hard service.

Never heard of an engine blowing up in one! Many run well over 100,000 miles in service before being sold.

The lowest temperatures your engine will see are whatever your ambient temperatures are in the morning where you live. If you have an air cooled engine your high temperatures will vary likewise. However, most engines have cooling systems and so the oil temperatures generally max out at around 200 F regardless of the ambient temperatures.

This may help too:

These may help one understand viscosity, the first one is more current:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_haas_articles

Original version:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=259902#Post259902

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back