Any Snapper rear engine rider mower guys out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a older rider mower that a friend gave me. The motor had a piece blown out the back side. I was able to find a used motor to put in its place,got it running but have a issue with it. It goes forward in all 5 gears, but won't move in reverse. Is that adjustable, or do I need to replace the friction disc. Thanks in advance for any help.,,

If it works properly going forward in all 5 gears but will no go in to reverse, it probably just needs some adjustments. Those are great mowers. After this surgery I am seriously thinking about buying me one of those. I like them because you can stand them up on end for storage during the winter. Just be sure there no gas in the tank.

Does your Snapper look like this or does it have a more modern steering wheel?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_pvc9PUuNvQY/Sf9y6NDhyQI/AAAAAAAAAIc/BwEG6tEYwzE/SnapperRiding+Mower1a.JPG

it's the same except for the steering wheel. I guess I have the new and improved version. I put the mower up on a set of ramps, and was checking out what makes it work but I couldn't see/find anything to adjust.,,

The drive wheel changes to reverse by crossing the centre of the friction disc, perhaps some adjustment is required?
These are great mowers, I particularly like the way you can shift speeds on the fly, almost like a hydrostatic.

There built like a tank. When we first moved to wausau we rented 1/2 of a duplex and the landlord/owner lived in the other half. He knocked $55 per month off the rent if I would mow the grass and he let me use his Snapper rider. I almost felt like I should have paid him. I sometimes mowed twice per week just because it was fun to do and relaxing.

My parents had one for years like the one in Johnny's link. Now my grandfather uses it. I always liked to use that thing. And they are built like a tank for sure. You have to adjust them a little and get the odd part every now and again, but they're great.

Built like a tank?
54.gif
You can't argue they're simple machines and easy to work on. As a kid I mowed a neighbor lady's lawn with one. Had the hoop style steering. Gawd I hated that thing. It was loud and rough because of her lawn. After awhile I parked it and used my pushmower.

snapper33.JPG

Joel

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I have a older rider mower that a friend gave me. The motor had a piece blown out the back side. I was able to find a used motor to put in its place,got it running but have a issue with it. It goes forward in all 5 gears, but won't move in reverse. Is that adjustable, or do I need to replace the friction disc. Thanks in advance for any help.,,

Yup, I've got 2. Reverse can be problematic on older models. It doesn't go into reverse like the forward gears, you have to push the shift lever back firmly and hold it. The slider thing gets sticky with dirt and age. It usually needs cleaning and lubing from time to time.

What size deck do it have? Both of mine are 33"
Here is 1 of mine.

100_1423.jpg

Mine is a 8 hp, 28 inch model. I've been looking for something to adjust, only thing that looks like it would make a difference is the coupling part with the two set screws. That would drop the disc part down a 1/4 inch or so. At this point that looks like it might get tricky if the set screws start to strip out.,

I have a 1982 8hp model-it's been sitting in the back since last Fall cause I cannot find a governor to carb spring which broke
Burns almost 1 qt every hour of operation. I sue oil drqined from the vehicles to feed it
Wish I could find another one

Steve

Soak every thing in penetrating oil for a day or so. Does yours have a steel drive disk, or aluminum? Mine is aluminum and I was afraid of breaking it when I replaced the engine. I eventually had to gently heat it with a torch to get it off.

It might just need a new friction wheel. I've had to replace friction wheels on both of mine, even though they looked ok.

Mine was originally 11Hp, how is powered with a 12.5Hp engine. It has a nice big bagger on the back, works good for sucking up leaves in the fall. I also have an 8Hp one. It's pretty well worn out, but it still runs.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Mine is a 8 hp, 28 inch model. I've been looking for something to adjust, only thing that looks like it would make a difference is the coupling part with the two set screws. That would drop the disc part down a 1/4 inch or so. At this point that looks like it might get tricky if the set screws start to strip out.,

Get someone to hold the clutch down and shift gears, watch as the trans mission moves the drive wheel across the friction disc.
Dose the friction wheel move across the centre of the disc when shifted to the reverse position?

I did what you say and it appears the drive wheel makes contact in 1-5 gears, but doesn't touch the disc when in reverse. It goes thru the motion of switching to the other side of the friction disc but doesn't rise up enough. I was thinking I might need a new drive wheel. but it goes fine forward just not in reverse.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back