1999 Honda Magna 750 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy! I recently took the MSF safe rider course and got my motorcycle license. I just bought my first bike, a 1999 Honda Magna 750 V4 with 9400 miles. I love it so far! The previous owner ran Valvoline 10w-40 dino it's entire life. Well my Duramax and Honda 400ex seem to love Rotella T6 5w-40, and from what I have read on this site, it seems to be a great choice. My father is an Amsoil nazi and says I am "nuts for running a diesel oil in a motorcycle". I tell him it's a HDEO, and safe for wet cluthes, and JASO approved but he won't budge. Please tell me this oil is okay for my bike! Thanks.

That is one of the favorite oils of motorcyclists. If you read much on this forum you'll see there's no need to spend extra money for the name brand or boutique oils. Check out the UOA's area for motorcycles. UOA means used oil analysis. You'll learn a lot and why your oil is a good choice.

Many folks think about diesels and oil like they do diesel fuel in gasoline engines which is a common mistake...Unlike the fuel, HDEO's are in fact a gasoline engine oil...They are approved for both applications as they carry the gasoline and diesel certifications...I've used Rotella 15W40 for about 19,000 miles in my Bandit 1250 and it works very well...Rotella also carries the JASO MA rating so it is perfectly compatible for motorcycles with wet clutches...Not to mention, the diesel certification tests are much more stringent than the gasoline engine oil certifications as they have to pass a higher standard for wear protection and nearly every engine component is tested...

Here's a fellow that's used nothing but Rotella 15W40 for 100,000 miles in his air cooled bandit 1200 and he's on the original engine, clutch, original everything still running strong...He hit 100,000 miles on it last year so he probably has quite a bit more on it by now....
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43581

Rotella T 15-40 or T6 5-40, Mobil Delvac 15-40, or Chevron Delo 15-40 are all great oils for most bikes. I'm going to add T6 or Delvac to my bike soon.

Originally Posted By: whitesands

Here's a fellow that's used nothing but Rotella 15W40 for 100,000 miles in his air cooled bandit 1200 and he's on the original engine, clutch, original everything still running strong...He hit 100,000 miles on it last year so he probably has quite a bit more on it by now....
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43581

Nice Bandit and story. I'd bet $$ that most Honda, Suzi, Kawi, and Yami bikes would do the same with TLC like this guy gave it. I'd bet ya $5 my Kawi would do the same, or better, with the Rotella I plan to run in it and reasonable TLC. Heck, it'd probably do the same with most any oil if it's changed regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back