Recommended Oil for 2001 Acura CL-P w/ ~210K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am new to the BITOG forum. I own a 2001 Acura CL (non-Type-S) and live in the Twin Cities, MN. My parents bought this car off the showroom floor back in 2001 and I bought it from them about two years ago. My car has about 210,000 miles. I obviously do a lot of driving (both city and highway) and typically get from point A to point B as fast as possible
21.gif
I just acquired a second job that will require me to drive all around MN. My transmission was replaced at about 130K miles. For my performance modifications I have an AEM V2 Air Induction System, custom exhaust system, and custom aluminum radiator.

I am in need of an oil change. I already bought a K&N Performance Gold Wrench-Off Oil Filter and am wondering what oil I should use. My owner's manual states the following: "It is highly recommended that you use Genuine Honda Motor Oil in your vehicle for as long as you own it. A fuel-efficient oil is recommended for your Acura. Always use an oil that is labeled API Service SJ. Make sure it says For Gasoline Engines. An oil with a viscosity of 5W-30 is preferred for improved fuel economy and year-round protection in your Acura. You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for conventional motor oil: energy conserving, a service classification of SJ, and a viscosity of 5W-30. Your Acura does not need any oil additives. For normal driving conditions, change oil every 7,500 miles. For severe driving conditions, change oil every 3,750 miles."

My parents used conventional motor oil when they owned the car. I started using synthetic oil when I bought it. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Oil for my last oil change. I also hear good things about Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol, and Red Line. What oil do you recommend I use for this next oil change?

Valvoline Max Life 5w-30 maybe with 5,000 mile oil changes. Use a good filter too like AC-Delco, Motorcraft, Purolator, or Wix.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Pennzoil Platinum and change it between 5,000 and 7,500 miles. The K&N oil filter should work just fine as would a good WIX or Purolator.

If you do not want to spend the money on a good synthetic, then I recommend conventional Pennzoil 5W-30 in the yellow bottle and do 5,000 mile oil changes.

210K is a walk in the park for Honda engines.

I'm currently using Motorcraft blend and the engine sings. Likes it a lot.

Welcome! I'd stick with your PP regimen...

Having owned the same year CL-S, you should be far more concerned with the longevity of the transmission than the engine.
grin2.gif

Oils I would recommend are conventional or synthetic from Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Supertech, Valvoline, Chevron, Havoline, Shell, Mobil 1. Oil filters would be Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator Classic and PureOne, Ac Delco (classic), Wix, Napa Gold, Bosch.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Oils I would recommend are conventional or synthetic from Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Supertech, Valvoline, Chevron, Havoline, Shell, Mobil 1. Oil filters would be Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator Classic and PureOne, Ac Delco (classic), Wix, Napa Gold, Bosch.

Are you sure you covered all the bases here?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back