2008 Toyota Rav4 Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine just got a 2008 Toyota Rav4 with around 20,000 miles. She said that I could change the oil for her and asked for me to get her the best. She has a 4wd limited 2.4L.

What do you guys suggest? I like Castrol, Mobil1, and Pennzoil. So maybe more of one of those kinds. I would like a full synthetic.

I was thinking of going with a Purolator Pureone filter.

But anyone with a Rav4 in that generation of years or someone with experience with those years and oil with them could suggest oil they have used that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ANY 5w-20 oil will be fine. There is no "best" so that takes care of that. No need for anything syn for a 5k or 6 month OCI.

2.4l I4 is a excellent motor.

Bill

When I said best I was referring to oils that people used in their Rav4's and that it drove really well with it.

In the manual it said it could also use 0W-20. Any one used that in their Rav4?

I seen Mobil1 has that new 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. Anyone used that yet?

I'd use 5w-20. No need for a 0w-20 in Ohio.

There is not going to be a difference between 5w-20 and 0w-20 or syn vs conventional in that engine. Its a great motor that runs well with anything.

Millions of them out there doing the carefree miles.
19.gif

Bill

Ok I was just looking to see what others were using on here. Thanks

If anyone still whats to say what they use let me know thanks!

What Bill said. OCI has to be 5K per warranty. Any 5-20 will protect for 5K. Don't waste money on syn until you plan on longer OCI's.

I believe Toyota has a new 0W-20 engine oil out with their label on it. That would probably be a great place to start. I own a 2009 Rav4 with the V-6 (5W-30), so I don't have anything else to offer.

radtech, my sister has the exact same vehicle and I've been using Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Toyota filter. So far both my sister and her trucklet are very happy.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I believe Toyota has a new 0W-20 engine oil out with their label on it. That would probably be a great place to start. I own a 2009 Rav4 with the V-6 (5W-30), so I don't have anything else to offer.

I got my Toyota dealer to sell me the new 0w20 for $60 for a case of 12 quarts. I'd do that. Use the Toyota filter or a Purolator PureOne.
Great deal on great oil and should help it last for a long time.

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

I got my Toyota dealer to sell me the new 0w20 for $60 for a case of 12 quarts. I'd do that. Use the Toyota filter or a Purolator PureOne.
Great deal on great oil and should help it last for a long time.

It will last a long time on either the $5 a quart Toyota oil or $2.70 a quart Pennzoil when bought in a 5qt jug.

The best value is Motorcraft at $11 a jug. ($2.20 a quart) The engine will be in the SAME condition at 200K, 300K with that oil as it would be with the $5 per quart Toyota oil following 5k or 6 month OCIs. (whichever comes up first)

Bill

I know. We can shut this site down and simply tell everyone that.
How about you give your suggestion like everyone else here and just leave your always used comparisons of money out of the replies?
Let the OP decide on costs, brands, etc.
As long as someone doesn't recommend something inappropriate, seems a safe way to go. And less annoying.

I'd say Valvoline SynPower. It's a synthetic on par with the ones you listed, and people always comment on how smooth their vehicle runs on it. If there's any "smoothness" felt, your friend will think you did an amazing job and put in "the best".

I personally think Pennzoil Platinum (or the new Ultra), Motorcraft, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc will all protect the vehicle about equally, so go with the one that more people say have smoothed things out for them so your friend is a little happier.

Two items I want to note: 1) I've never used Valvoline SynPower so I can't comment on the smoothness, though I wouldn't hesitate to put it in one of my cars. 2) It's unknown if there's an actual smoothness, or if it's just a placebo affect

How about you give your suggestion like everyone else here and just leave your always used comparisons of money out of the replies?
As long as someone doesn't recommend something inappropriate, seems a safe way to go. And less annoying.

Because money does matter to most people.
smirk2.gif

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: radtech91

Thank you.

So I guess your first question does not matter then?

Why ask if you don't want feedback?

If you don't want FACTUAL info you are at the wrong site.

All I wanted was people to tell me what they have put in their Rav4's in that generation and their engine ran well with it.

You said: "ANY 5w-20 oil will be fine. There is no "best" so that takes care of that. No need for anything syn for a 5k or 6 month OCI.

2.4l I4 is a excellent motor. "

Obviously you didn't read my question and tell me what oil runs well in YOUR Rav4 of that generation or even lead to the fact that you own one. Which after reading your signature you don't, so I don't even see why you posted.
At least the people after went ahead and actually own the vehicle and told me what they used in it. Which is what I was looking for, I already knew that ALL 5W-20 oils work in the engine, but I was looking for what others have used.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
All I wanted was people to tell me what they have put in their Rav4's in that generation and their engine ran well with it.

You said: "ANY 5w-20 oil will be fine. There is no "best" so that takes care of that. No need for anything syn for a 5k or 6 month OCI.

2.4l I4 is a excellent motor. "

Obviously you didn't read my question and tell me what oil runs well in YOUR Rav4 of that generation or even lead to the fact that you own one. Which after reading your signature you don't, so I don't even see why you posted.
At least the people after went ahead and actually own the vehicle and told me what they used in it. Which is what I was looking for, I already knew that ALL 5W-20 oils work in the engine, but I was looking for what others have used.

Okay so with those limits (you should be asking this question on a Rav4 board then) there were only 2 replies. Motorcraft 5w-20 or Valvoline Synpower.

All the rest are noise with your limits.

Pm me if you want to to edit this thread so only those 2 "valid" replies are here.

(insult removed)

In my mother's 2007 RAV4 I have used valvoline synpower 5w20, M1 5w20, motorcraft 5w20, pennzoil platinum 5w20, castrol syntec 5w20, castrol edge 5w30 (before they had 5w20). I generally do 6000 mile OCI's which is a 1000 miles over the oil light reminder. No difference really noted between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back