Paper Shredder oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSS

I'm in the market for a shredder and see that they sell an oil for the shredder. Seems it prolongs the life considerably. Probably would've made mine last much longer.

The MSDS for Fellows Powershred Shredder Lubricant, http://www.fellowes.com/Fellowes/materials/documents/MSDS_35250.PDF , lists vegetable oil as the chemical name. SO, can I just use regular vegetable oil instead paying $10 fo a 12 Oz bottle of there stuff?

That is Soyabean oil. Not a very impressive lubricant.

My first reaction was to say to use a mineral oil.

There must be some reason they use soya oil other than it's poor qualities as lubricant.

Try google, there must be other people who have gone through this.

Last edited:
I've also seen where they sell paper soaked in the stuff. You simply shred the paper and it supposedly lubricates what's needed. I've never used them though so i can't comment on them beyond that

Originally Posted By: sicko
I've also seen where they sell paper soaked in the stuff. You simply shred the paper and it supposedly lubricates what's needed. I've never used them though so i can't comment on them beyond that

Since my paper shredder is overdue for maintenance I read about the topic. Either dripping some oil in the paper slot, or wiping some oil onto paper and running it through are two common ways of lubing a shredder.

The claim made by some manufacturers is that mineral oil tends to make a gummy mess with the paper dust and that the right vegetable oil (the one with their label on it
grin2.gif
) doesn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Spontaneous combustion would be my guess.

This is probably the exact reason. Same problem as with oily rags. The mineral oil slowly oxidizes in a confined area until it builds up enough heat to combust. Finely shredded paper and mineral oil could be a potential fire in the making.

I use Break Free CLP in my shredder regularly. I shread all my mail that I don't keep.
It seems to have extended the life of my shredder considerably.

Just clean out all the paper, drip oil in-between the teeth while it is off, turn it on and off a few times to make sure everything is lubricated, and you are ready to go.
If you are really anal you can clean it all with a q-tip, then lubricate with a oil loaded q-tip.

Use your's wife's Wesson Cooking oil, it's the same thing; nothing but soybean oil.

Oh yea; I forgot about that expensive additive pack they add to it.
lol.gif

Last edited:
If you want to move up a level in protection, use Castor bean oil. Used with good results by professional shredders worldwide.
28.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you want to move up a level in protection, use Castor bean oil. Used with good results by professional shredders worldwide.
28.gif

Mmmm the sweet smell of Klotz Super Techniplate emanating from the... paper shredder?

Originally Posted By: pcoxe

This is probably the exact reason. Same problem as with oily rags. The mineral oil slowly oxidizes in a confined area until it builds up enough heat to combust. Finely shredded paper and mineral oil could be a potential fire in the making.

Whatever you do, don't use spray lube on the paper shredder!
31.gif

I found out the hard way -- the resultant fireball singed off my eyebrows, lashes, hair and forearm hair. Zoiks!

I think amsoil sells a synthetic paper shredder oil but people suspect from its pour point it is really only a hydrocracked slack wax based oil and that cold shredding performance may be affected. They also have had to significantly reduce the antiwear additives in the new paper shredder oils in order to meet EPA and CAFE standards so I would try to buy an older "real" synthetic shredder oil from ebay, something that is ester based with a very high VII (especially if your shredder is turbo charged).

Last edited:
I like to use olive oil, its a lot lighter than cooking oil and works great on a shredder.

Originally Posted By: PRND3L
Originally Posted By: pcoxe

Whatever you do, don't use spray lube on the paper shredder!
31.gif

I found out the hard way -- the resultant fireball singed off my eyebrows, lashes, hair and forearm hair. Zoiks!

I learned that one the hard way also. I sprayed Dupont Multi-use into the spreader thinking it might be a good use for a "dry lube". Let it sit for about 5-10 mins to let the propellant dispel then used it with no problem. It sat for 10 mins more when I used it again...KABOOM. I guess whatever the carrier off-gasses when it dries is super flammable!

What about 3-in-1 oil? Or air compressor oil? lol.

At our work place we got a no-label "jug" of the stuff, it's got a brown tinge to it, and yea, you just zig zag it across the paper, feed it through every time I shred.....before and after (to make up for those who don't)

But have no idea what kind of oil it actually is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back