Weatherstripping lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good lubricant to use for the weatherstripping around the doors?

We replaced them on one vehicle, and our other vehicle is a new vehicle. We'd like to keep the weatherstripping in good shape so we don't have to replace any more of them since they are very expensive (over $100 each).

I just spray silicone spray on them twice a year. It has worked well for a long time, our 28 yr old BMW has the original and it is soft and pliable.

The best stuff is called "rubber care" and its made by Wurth. I don't know if you would find it in a normal store or not, that stuff is ususally sold to shops and things like that. But it has no silicone, and won't damage paint or anything if it gets oversprayed and just works great.

I use spray silicone on mine a few times a year. Works well. I use it on my wiper blades every few weeks too. It keeps them soft and in good condition in the hot Florida sun. The sun and heat here are murder on wiper blades.

Dupont krytox is unsurpassed as a weatherstripping lubricant. It's expensive but a little goes a long way and one treatment can last 1-2 years

The owner's manual in my Buick recommends dielectric silicone grease. It's 100% silicone, and works like a charm. It's also cheap.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
The best stuff is called "rubber care" and its made by Wurth. I don't know if you would find it in a normal store or not, that stuff is ususally sold to shops and things like that. But it has no silicone, and won't damage paint or anything if it gets oversprayed and just works great.

I had heard this from others. I was amazed as to what it did to my t-top seals on my 88 fiero. The 22 year old seals are like new again.

What I did was put some latex medical goves on, and worked the krytox into the the rubber. About an hour later I used a clean lint free cloth, and removed what wasn't absorbed into the rubber.

I bought my krytox on e-bay. I think it was about $15 for a very small tube.

Last edited:
I just use a protectant (303, Mothers, etc, whatever I am in the mood for) on door seals.

Napa Sil-Glyde. Works great and at < $6/ for a large tube, can't beat the price.

Wurth Rubber Care here (I have max faith in almost all of their products, especially their; VERY high solids spray paints, HHS 2000, and Rubber Care!).

I would use the Dupont Krytox if it weren't soooo prohibitively priced.
wink.gif

It seems to be the weathership lube eqivalent of Castrol SRF brake fluid (as far as performance & price goes).

Originally Posted By: mva
Gummi Pflege is recommended by BMW

It worked well to fix minor leaks on the rubber seals on my soft top Z3

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smar...tion%20100%20ml

The orgiginal BMW branded Gummi Pfledge (gel like in a tube) has not been made for several years. It was excellent. IMO, other brands of rubber treatment just do not measure up. I have tried them. I have a tiny bit of BMW Gummi Pfledge left and use it only once a year. Cannot even find on e-bay. Sob!

Turner Motorsport claims Wurth Rubber Care is the same as the discontinued Gummi Pfledge. I have no idea really just passing along the info.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Turner Motorsport claims Wurth Rubber Care is the same as the discontinued Gummi Pfledge. I have no idea really just passing along the info.
I have the Wurth product. it is not teh same. It is watery white like Armorall or 303. Just does not seem to work as well.

Originally Posted By: iluvhonda
Shin-Etsu Grease!

Tell me more!! This seems interesting, especially after I got past the name. How expensive and it is available from all local Honda dealers?

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: iluvhonda
Shin-Etsu Grease!

Tell me more!! This seems interesting, especially after I got past the name. How expensive and it is available from all local Honda dealers?

I bought the Shin-Etsu Silicone grease Honda part # 08798-9013 today. It is 100g/3.5 oz tube (about the size of a toothpaste tube). Cost about $30.00. The parts people knew exactly what and why i wanted it.

It looks (gel like & mostly white) and feels very similar to the old BMW gummi-pledge. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back