Saddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Diamondback Outlook MTB. I'm happy with it except for the butt jarring saddle. I'm looking for something that will be reasonably comfortable for 10+ miles, but not cost half as much as the whole bike did. What suggestions do you guys have?

BTW, I know being a hardtail it can only get so comfortable, but there has to be something better than the original saddle.

Last edited:
there are hundreds of varieties on the market because everyone's butt is different (thankfully). take any recommendation w/ a grain of salt, unless he's got your butt.
besides seat choice, A LOT of it has to do w/ position (fore or aft, and tilt).
so-called hardtails can be plenty comfortable; that's all there was for what, a good hundred years or so.
lastly, a good part of the comfort has to do w/ how much you ride.

I'll gladly trade you for my cushy seat. I can depress the material to the core easily with one finger.

It was very comfortable on my rear, but the perineum was aching quite badly by the end of 20 miles.

If there's a way to find out if they'd swap, Im all for it. 1991 Trek 1200

I have the same bike, mine is a 2009 model. The saddle is hard like a rock, very uncomfortable for longer rides. So I replaced it with a Selle Royal saddle which was about ~$28. Its not too soft so you still feel stable while riding.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
there are hundreds of varieties on the market because everyone's butt is different (thankfully). take any recommendation w/ a grain of salt, unless he's got your butt.
besides seat choice, A LOT of it has to do w/ position (fore or aft, and tilt).
so-called hardtails can be plenty comfortable; that's all there was for what, a good hundred years or so.
lastly, a good part of the comfort has to do w/ how much you ride.

What he said!!^^^^^^

But just a little OT; I'm still waiting for someone to reissue the old buffalo suede covered Unica saddles.
One of the MOST comfortable (for me at least) I've ever ridden, and I have some hope since San Marco has recently reissued the Concor.
wink.gif

I use a WTB Rocket V saddle on my bike. VERY comfortable. But wait... Are you wearing padded bike shorts when you ride? Makes a difference also.
Now that I have a seatpost that holds my saddle's dialed in position no matter what (Thomson), I've found that I am able to ride in only the outer short without the padded liner. Makes my life a little more pleasant when it's hot out.
Check ebay for saddles. I got mine for 1/3 of what it would have cost in a shop. I see Brooks saddles on there too.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
but the perineum was aching quite badly by the end of 20 miles

Ouch, I think I'll pass!

And I don't wear padded bike shorts...I just wear whatever shorts I happen to have on at the time. As far as biking gear goes I'm pretty casual.

The best seats I've used are made by Velo. I bought four identical Kona take-offs for $10 each at a local shop last year. Many people want a wider seat right when they buy the bike, so they had a bunch in a clearance bin and I bought them all after trying one. The padding is about 3/4" thick. It's pliant but firm enough that I can't bottom it out with my finger, and the plastic underneath that supports the padding is very rubbery and flexible. It also has the cut-out center. It's a little heavier and wider than the race seats I've used in the past, but far more comfortable, and it's still narrow enough at the front that it doesn't interfere with my pedal motion at all.

Any new seat will feel a little strange at first, and those were no exception. It takes about a half-hour of riding to get a good idea of how well a seat works for me, so finding a good seat was not easy.

The Specialized Body Geometry saddles were the only other saddles I found locally that were comparable, but they were quite expensive and the local shop had none mounted to try out, nor did they have the saddle fit system that Specialized recommends using to determine proper saddle size. So I tried a cheaper option and it worked out.

For me, the other big thing for riding comfort, especially on longer rides, is to not have my skin in contact with any polyester. My butt prefers 100% cotton underwear for riding (and everything else; it's just most obvious during rides).

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
but the perineum was aching quite badly by the end of 20 miles

Ouch, I think I'll pass!

And I don't wear padded bike shorts...I just wear whatever shorts I happen to have on at the time. As far as biking gear goes I'm pretty casual.

If you want to go on longer rides and be comfortable, you are already 'behind' the game by not getting a pair of quality 6 panel cycling shorts. A minimal saddle is best...not a wide (that's for a female anatomy) overly padded one. Any good brand such as Selle will work fine. Proper adjustment is also essential (front to back, leveling, and how high). Lastly....it takes time for your body to adjust and your crotch to toughen up. If you don't ride regularly, it won't.

Things may have changed, but a long long time ago (back in the '80s & '90s) my wife and I used Avocet saddles. I always liked them. The seat's still on the bike and hasn't deteriorated with age. Maybe worth a look.

I really like the Specialized 'Minkow Wedge' saddles. Back when I was riding 100+ miles a week it's the only thing I would have on my bike. Once you get used to the pressure being put on the sit bones where it should be, you'll never go back to one of those ultra 'cushy' padded saddles what will eventually apply more pressure to the perineum.

If you can handle just a little Euro-snobbery and afford some miles to break it in, Brooks saddles from England are legendary for long-distance comfort. Pricey, but also retaining a lot of value since they take 50 years to wear out.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
If you can handle just a little Euro-snobbery and afford some miles to break it in, Brooks saddles from England are legendary for long-distance comfort. Pricey, but also retaining a lot of value since they take 50 years to wear out.

I just removed the Brooks saddle from my road bike after 3 seasons. It never did work as well for me as I'd hoped. Brooks saddles are supposed to conform to the unique shape of the owner's sit-bones, but mine never did seem to take the "set" properly. That may be due to the fact that I sweat way more than most folks when I'm riding. Those Brooks saddles are leather, and shouldn't get wet on a regular basis, but mine did on almost every ride. I replaced it with a cheap old Velo saddle I had in storage.

FWIW, most of my riding friends use saddles by Selle Italia, Fi'zi:k, and Terry.

For kicks, take a look at this 100% carbon fiber saddle:
Carbon Fiber Saddle

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Things may have changed, but a long long time ago (back in the '80s & '90s) my wife and I used Avocet saddles. I always liked them. The seat's still on the bike and hasn't deteriorated with age. Maybe worth a look.

Are they still in business??

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: Kaboomba

I just removed the Brooks saddle from my road bike after 3 seasons. It never did work as well for me as I'd hoped. Brooks saddles are supposed to conform to the unique shape of the owner's sit-bones, but mine never did seem to take the "set" properly. That may be due to the fact that I sweat way more than most folks when I'm riding. Those Brooks saddles are leather, and shouldn't get wet on a regular basis, but mine did on almost every ride. I replaced it with a cheap old Velo saddle I had in storage.

FWIW, most of my riding friends use saddles by Selle Italia, Fi'zi:k, and Terry.

For kicks, take a look at this 100% carbon fiber saddle:
Carbon Fiber Saddle

yup, brooks aren't for everyone. I'm running 2 different brooks on 2 different bikes; one has a regular B-17, the other has a B-66. the 66 took a lot more adjustment to get the spot 'just' right. the 17 felt pretty good right out of the box and is getting better all the time. in fact, the only points of contact that I'm always aware of now are my hands, I don't even think about the seat anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back