Adding Water To A Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mom's battery on her 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo went bad yesterday, I tested the battery and the tester that I used said it was no good.

It took me almost 30 minutes to remove the battery, I had to remove the air box as well as tank that holds the windshield washer fluid.

So its 5:30 p.m. and my Mom wants a battery in it fast since she wants to use the car the next day, the old battery was one of those batteries you do not service, so I went to Sears and got a Die Hard Gold Battery.

With this battery I need to add water in it from time to time, the thing is that in order to check it I have to take the windshield washer fluid tank off, my Chevrolet El Camino is easy to check since there is nothing sitting on top of the battery.

So, how often do I check the battery to see if it needs any water, my Mom does drive the car just about everyday unless we have really bad weather.

Do I check it every 3 months, every 6 months, or maybe check it when I do her oil change. I am thinking that checking it once a year is kind of pushing it.

Do these batteries use more water in the spring and summer than they do in the fall and winter.

The hotter the battery gets, the more water will evaporate. With that in mind, it's likely it will need more water in warmer months. A friend of mine has a 2007 Subaru with a regular (non-maintenance-free) battery that requires water. It went probably 2 years before it needed water the first time. That said, though, it also depends on the charging characteristics of the alternator. I suspect the Subaru has a smallish alternator, and replenishing the charge used from starting the small 4 cylinder won't take a lot of current. On a V6 like the Monte, and with what is almost certainly a higher output alternator, it's likely the battery would hydrolyze a little more water than the Subaru does.

I would check it in 6 months and see how much the level has gone down. If you can get one of the caps off easily, shine a flashlight in there and you should be able to see the water level on the side of the battery. Be careful with those caps - they are probably covered with sulfuric acid on the bottom side. You can probably refill it with distilled water once a year and be fine unless she lives in a hot climate. Checking it at 6 months will give you an idea what kind of level drop you can expect over time.

Originally Posted By: c3po
My Mom's battery on her 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo went bad yesterday, I tested the battery and the tester that I used said it was no good.

It took me almost 30 minutes to remove the battery, I had to remove the air box as well as tank that holds the windshield washer fluid.

So its 5:30 p.m. and my Mom wants a battery in it fast since she wants to use the car the next day, the old battery was one of those batteries you do not service, so I went to Sears and got a Die Hard Gold Battery.

With this battery I need to add water in it from time to time, the thing is that in order to check it I have to take the windshield washer fluid tank off, my Chevrolet El Camino is easy to check since there is nothing sitting on top of the battery.

So, how often do I check the battery to see if it needs any water, my Mom does drive the car just about everyday unless we have really bad weather.

Do I check it every 3 months, every 6 months, or maybe check it when I do her oil change. I am thinking that checking it once a year is kind of pushing it.

Do these batteries use more water in the spring and summer than they do in the fall and winter.

For Ford, it was check the battery at 3 months when being used in severe service. When there was normal service, then there was no need to check it.

Aren't there batteries available that don't need maintenance at all?

I make sure it is topped up before you install it. Then check at 6 months and adjust your check interval from there. I think I would have opted for a maintenance free with this vehicle.

What makes a battery maintenance free is not, contrary to popular belief, vent caps that cannot be removed.

It is the chemistry inside the battery that makes it maintenance free.

Chances are very good that the battery you bought has maintenance free chemistry (lead/calcium plates) even though it has removable vent caps. The Diehard Gold is described as a maintenance free battery.

Originally Posted By: Eddie

I make sure it is topped up before you install it

I did that.

Quote:
I think I would have opted for a maintenance free with this vehicle.

I wanted to do that, but my Dad said since the last battery was rated for 6 years and it only went 4.5 years he thinks the battery that you add water to will last longer.

Is there a difference in longevity between a maintenance free battery and the type of battery I purchased.

I don't think Die Hards come in Maintenance Free, I could be wrong.

Die Hards don't come with non-removeable vent caps, if that's what you're asking.

As far as I know, there were 4 major car battery manufacturers in the USA:

Delphi
Exide
East Penn
Johnson Controls

Of these, only East Penn and Delphi made wet-cell batteries without removable vent caps.

Delphi sold their battery business to Johnson Controls (who also makes the batteries for Sears). As a result, AC Delco batteries are now Johnson Controls batteries with removable vent caps. But they're still "maintenance free" because they use lead calcium plates.

East Penn still makes the batteries without removable vent caps. Carquest sells them under the Carquest brand.

I like using acid to top off/add,adding water over time will dilute the acid and also could freeze in the winter if the solution gets strong enough.

daman: where do you get acid though? The only way I know is to buy one of those "power sport" batteries at WM, that are "unloaded" - you add the electrolyte to the battery, then seal it up for good...

I'd say go with the maintenance free lead/calcium battery....WM is pretty good with their warranty service on batteries....if one store doesn't take it, try another :p

Note: for battery warranties, coming in with a battery and expecting a new one won't get you one, they will have to test it first.....if the test yields "REPLACE BATTERY" - they will replace it no questions asked under warranty....IF the test yields "CHARGE REQUIRED" - their machine will have to totally discharge the battery, then recharge it, to determine the battery result. If the battery is truely "bad" it won't make it past that "re-charge" cycle....but most simply need a recharge.

Go to any auto motive parts place(Car Quest/NAPA in my case)and get the small power sport bottle they sell it.

Originally Posted By: ahoier

Note: for battery warranties, coming in with a battery and expecting a new one won't get you one, they will have to test it first..

Costco doesn't test batteries, they take 'em back and give you a refund.

daman: where do you get acid though?

AutoZone. It is the "Motorcycle" Battery Acid and i have receipt for Product Name and Number at home. But it is Pre-Mixed at 36% Sulfuric Acid, so technically no Distilled Water is needed.

You have to go up to counter and ask for it. They dont just have Sulfuric Acid sitting on the Shelf. Its particularly explosive.

Would you not add that instead of ONLY Distilled Water, to the bottom of the Caps?

I like the Removable Cap ones myself. Maintenance Free dont even charge up on a Charger right....

Originally Posted By: daman
I like using acid to top off/add,adding water over time will dilute the acid and also could freeze in the winter if the solution gets strong enough.

I don't suppose you've ever used a hydrometer to check whether the battery really needs acid added, have you?

Weird-never heard of battery acid evaporating before, & I've read a LOT of lead-acid battery info over the years. Could it be just spilling out from vibration out the vents at all??

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Unless the electrolyte has spilled, you do not need to add acid.

Are you sure? How do you know what has evaoprated, or if it evaporated at all?

If it spilled, you lost "Electrolyte" so some Sulfuric Acid has been leaked, or id imagine

Battery guy once told me that Sulfuric Acid goes into the Cells and comes back out but is that true, is that the reason whyDistilled water will do or is there any Harm in adding the pre-mixed Battery Acid solution ?

Originally Posted By: brianl703

I don't suppose you've ever used a hydrometer to check whether the battery really needs acid added, have you?

No never not once.

Originally Posted By: HomerJ5w40

Are you sure? How do you know what has evaoprated, or if it evaporated at all?

The sulphuric acid does not evaporate, nor is it broken down by electrolysis, which are the two main reasons why you must add water.

Quote:
Battery guy once told me that Sulfuric Acid goes into the Cells and comes back out but is that true, is that the reason whyDistilled water will do or is there any Harm in adding the pre-mixed Battery Acid solution ?

That's a simplified explanation, but it's correct. Distilled water is all you need to add unless some of the electrolyte has spilled out of the battery.

No never not once.

I suspect that if you did, you'd find that adding water does not dilute the acid over time.

Note: for battery warranties, coming in with a battery and expecting a new one won't get you one, they will have to test it first.....if the test yields "REPLACE BATTERY" - they will replace it no questions asked under warranty....IF the test yields "CHARGE REQUIRED" - their machine will have to totally discharge the battery, then recharge it, to determine the battery result. If the battery is truely "bad" it won't make it past that "re-charge" cycle....but most simply need a recharge.

And have the receipt - in my experience, auto parts places have
gotten pretty anal about you having a receipt, even in small towns. I put my receipt in a zip-lock bag and duct tape it to the side of the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back