DIY Rinse Agent = Jet Dri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXW

Curious to know if anyone uses a rinse agent when washing? I know that certain chemical agents assist in the removal of soaps and detergents...

I use Meg gold class shampoo, use two bucket wash method (with great success) and typically clay bar before a full detail for best results.

I want to avoid the "water stains" if possible from rinsing.

Note: I never wash my cars in direct sun but only inside or in the shade.

Originally Posted By: JXW
Curious to know if anyone uses a rinse agent when washing? I know that certain chemical agents assist in the removal of soaps and detergents...

Not Jet Dri. But I've found that just a tiny bit of MMO added to the rinse water leaves the surface feeling noticeably smoother after toweling dry. And it seems to repel dirt better, too.

I use Megs GC too. I've found that if the concentration of soap to water is too high (too sudsy) it is more difficult to rinse the car thoroughly bc it leaves a thicker film on the paint. Maybe try reducing the amount of soap.

After washing I use a power leaf blower to remove all water. Works great and gets water out of hard to reach places like under trim that can lead to rust formation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
After washing I use a power leaf blower to remove all water. Works great and gets water out of hard to reach places like under trim that can lead to rust formation.

X2, same routine, makes drying quicker, once the car is dry i'll go over it one more time concentrating on the nooks and crannies that water hides in(windows,doors,grille,mirrors etc)and give it a final wipe down with a waffle weave MF towel
thumbsup2.gif

I tried the leaf blower thing once, it didn't seem to really push a lot of water off and the neighbors looked at me like I was nuts.

What is the spot free rinse chemical or process at self service wash bays? How is this water different than the regular water on the same wash bay?

Last edited:
What is the spot free rinse chemical or process at self service wash bays? How is this water different than the regular water on the same wash bay?

probably de-ionized water. you can buy a system to use at home if you feel like dropping $300

Originally Posted By: sbergman27

Not Jet Dri. But I've found that just a tiny bit of MMO added to the rinse water leaves the surface feeling noticeably smoother after toweling dry. And it seems to repel dirt better, too.

Yeah always a good idea to put strong solvents on your painted surface.

I wish the MMO crazies would leave the board.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: sbergman27

Yeah always a good idea to put strong solvents on your painted surface.

I wish the MMO crazies would leave the board.
27.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I tried the leaf blower thing once, it didn't seem to really push a lot of water off and the neighbors looked at me like I was nuts.

The leaf blower will not blow all the water off but it gets the Majority of the water off so it's quicker and easier to dry with an MF towel, couple of my neighbors have started using leaf blowers on their cars since they saw me doing mine
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Hessen

probably de-ionized water. you can buy a system to use at home if you feel like dropping $300
yep.

BUT, I've also had great success with the Mr. Clean wash system - sadly walmart doesn't sell the cartridge refills anymore though...can't seem to find them at AAP either.....sometime I may try calling up CarQuest or NAPA and see if they carry the refills...

It works great - uses regular household/hose water, and the water passes through a filter so the contaminants (hard water) aren't as harsh on the vehicle.

As far as rinse agents, nah I just do one part of the vehicle at a time, drying each panel before going to the next.

They (Proctor and Gamble) have discontinued this product. I have been able to find what ever is left at Big Lots and that is even not promising. My local grocery store discontinued this stuff long time ago. Got a great deal when they clearanced these out. Too bad the product actually worked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I wouldn't use Marvel Mystery Oil in wash water. I'd be afraid of possible paint damage.

That sounds like an amazing plan.

one of the guys i worked with told me when he was growing up in the 60's they used a bit of calgon in their car washes.it promoted a sheeting action so there were no water spots.
i used a bit on an old truck and camper shell a few years back that had much build up on it.the dark tinted windows on the camper shone like an obsidian mirror when i finished.

I use Jet Dry with an Ortho sprayer that has the dial on the top to adjust the amount of mixture . Jet dry works well as I have well water and no spots. I use a leaf blower as well .

Duragloss shampoo #901 has excellent sheeting action. I then use the leaf blower to dry out the cracks and crevices. Eventhough I have hard water no more water spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back