Suggestions? - Centric Permium vs Posi-Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's Infiniti FX35 is about due for brakes. I've had excellent experience with Centric parts. The company also owns StopTech and Powerslot lines. Even the $23 new rotors for my Honda Accord (it would have cost $20 to resurface the old ones) came with a nice blanchard grind and were really sturdy.

For the brake pads I can't decide between their Posi-Quiet line, in ceramic flavor, or the Premium line in ceramic flavor. There's only $4 difference between the two.

Also, should I consider semi-metalic? I believe the stock recipe is semi-metalic. Upgrading to ceramic pads on my Accord felt great, the Hawk cermic pads on my Jeep don't bite like the old ones did. I'm trying to stay as quiet as possible with whe same or more stopping power.

Thanks for the input!

I have personally found the Nissan/Infiniti OE pads to be excellent, so this is one of the applications where I would stay with the OE pad. As you may have seen on the G35 forums, switching from the OE pad to an aftermarket pad sometimes results in diminished initial bite and lowered overall brake performance.

Most Japan build vehicles use either Nissin or Akebono as the OEM supplier. If you want OEM quality for non dealer cost, try Akebono.

Semi metallic would have more bite and can sustain higher temperature, but with more dust and squeal louder. Between premium and Posi Quiet for only $4, I'd try the premium one. They are probably the same compound with different backing and shim to quiet the ride down.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Most Japan build vehicles use either Nissin or Akebono as the OEM supplier. If you want OEM quality for non dealer cost, try Akebono.

Semi metallic would have more bite and can sustain higher temperature, but with more dust and squeal louder. Between premium and Posi Quiet for only $4, I'd try the premium one. They are probably the same compound with different backing and shim to quiet the ride down.

That is far from the truth. Advic supplies OE pads for certain OEMs now as well.

The Akebono, Nissin, Advic, Sumitomo, etc pads that are available from worldpac may or may not be equivalent to the OE formulation. Many manufacturers make one part for their OE line, and one for their aftermarket line. The aftermarket line is not subject to the same costly validation testing and rigorous quality requirements that is required for the OE line. So, to purchase a pad from an OE supplier with the assumption that you will always be getting an OE part at a lower cost is simply not true.

As for semi-metallic vs ceramic, it depends on the specific formulation. There are aggressive semi-metallic pads and low noise, low dust semi-metallic pads as well. Same goes for ceramic.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

That is far from the truth. Advic supplies OE pads for certain OEMs now as well.

Would you recommend a hawk pad or go oem for my vehicle? I'm looking at the hawk hps I believe

The Akebono, Nissin, Advic, Sumitomo, etc pads that are available from worldpac may or may not be equivalent to the OE formulation. Many manufacturers make one part for their OE line, and one for their aftermarket line. The aftermarket line is not subject to the same costly validation testing and rigorous quality requirements that is required for the OE line. So, to purchase a pad from an OE supplier with the assumption that you will always be getting an OE part at a lower cost is simply not true.

As for semi-metallic vs ceramic, it depends on the specific formulation. There are aggressive semi-metallic pads and low noise, low dust semi-metallic pads as well. Same goes for ceramic.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have personally found the Nissan/Infiniti OE pads to be excellent, so this is one of the applications where I would stay with the OE pad. As you may have seen on the G35 forums, switching from the OE pad to an aftermarket pad sometimes results in diminished initial bite and lowered overall brake performance.

Depends on what your looking for. The brakes on my wifes 2004 G35X were terrible. Front brakes were replaced at only 15,000 miles and the rotors were turned but they did bite well and squeaked all the time and produced more brake dust than any brakes I have ever seen plus they wore the rotors really bad. Wash the car and drive 15 miles and the front wheels were already turning black.

Anyway at 30K they were shot again and the front rotors couldn't be turned again so I installed powerslot cryo rotors and Project Mu pads. They bite just like the OEM pads and lasted till 70K when they started to squeal a little and my wife wanted me to change them. They still had life left on them but I changed them anyway with another set and they are still going strong today at 112K miles. They dust very little and bite very good and the powerslot cryo rotors are still looking excellent.

I'd always go for the premium line.
Ceramics are great for dust!

That said, I have had OK to good success with cheap pads, and OK to great success with expensive pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back