2005 VW Jetta 2.0L Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am going to help a friend change her oil in her Jetta. It is spec'd for 5W40 but I do not have any experience with this car or oil weight. So I was looking for some suggestions on what you all thought. It is not the turbo so no worry about that. It has a little over 66 thousand on the odometer and is driven mostly short trips with stop and go. Also what 5W40 oils meet VW specs?

Thanks

You will do very well with Mobil One 0W-40 oil as that meets VW spec and the only Mobil One oil that meets it. In addition, Shell Rotella 15w-40 synthetic meets the ACEA A3/B4 spec. If you can find Castrol synthetic "European Formula”, it meets VW spec as well. That is about it for off the shelf stuff. Any of these oils will perform admirably. If you go to Amsoils' web site you will want to purchase the Amsoil "AFL" European 5W-40 which meets virtually all German car manufacturers stringent requirements. Here is the link to more information Amsoil AFL. I have used the Amsoil AFL in my Audi Quattro and also their oil filters and run 10k changes. I drive the car extremely hard (old military pilot, stock car driver) with, since I retired at 47 yrs. old, many short trips to the local store 1.8 miles away and rarely a trip to a major metro about 30 minutes away and frequently run it up to the 140 mph mark. In addition, when I was working and traveling to Boston, I would run consistent 100 mph speeds on a daily basis. I did two oil analysis and they were both excemplary with TBN still hanging in there at 1.6 on one test and 2.4 on my second test at about 9k miles. The Audi now has 150k on the odometer and still runs as good as the day I bought it if not better. The car is also been reprogrammed to bring the horsepower up from 150 to 200 and an additional 100 LB ft. of torque (now at 245).

So;
1. Amsoil synthetic AFL
2. Mobil One synthetic 0W-40
3. Castrol synthetic European formula 5W-30/40
4. Shell Rotella synthetic 15w-40

Of course, if you wish to use Dino oil, your car will run just fine on Castrol GTX 5W-30 as that is the very best in conventional oils. Change oil every 5k with the Dino and every 10k with any of the above synthetics...use a good filter...Wix, Napa Gold, Motorcraft, Wal-Mart super tech (yes, it’s a good filter) also the Purolator pure one is decent...avoid Fram filters as they are inferior quality and are more expensive. If you decide to order the Amsoil, purchase one of their filters.

I am planning on running synthetic in my friends car. I know when my sister had her Jetta the oil change interval according to the manual was 10,000 miles. I am leaning towards trying Mobil 1 0W40 right now as Pep Boys has a oil change special with that oil.

Thanks for your comments.

Those engines aren't picky about oil at all. If it were my car I'd use Rotella-T 5W-40 synthetic and a Mann filter.

As previously mentioned, Mobil-1 0W-40 meets VW's 502.00 spec for this engine as does Castrol Syntec 5W-40 which is available at AutoZone in my area. Valvoline sells a SynPower 5W-40 that also carries the VW 502.00. My local NAPA and PepBoys sells this brand also.

But again, I'd go to Wal-Mart and buy Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 @ $19,50 per gallon and mail-order a few Mann or Mahle filters.

Just go pick up 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT and a Mobil 1 filter from Pep Boys for $30.00. This was my brothers UOA on this combo in his 2.slow

TDT

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Those engines aren't picky about oil at all. If it were my car I'd use Rotella-T 5W-40 synthetic and a Mann filter.

As previously mentioned, Mobil-1 0W-40 meets VW's 502.00 spec for this engine as does Castrol Syntec 5W-40 which is available at AutoZone in my area. Valvoline sells a SynPower 5W-40 that also carries the VW 502.00. My local NAPA and PepBoys sells this brand also.

But again, I'd go to Wal-Mart and buy Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 @ $19,50 per gallon and mail-order a few Mann or Mahle filters.

What places can you mail order Mann or Mahle filters from?

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Just go pick up 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT and a Mobil 1 filter from Pep Boys for $30.00. This was my brothers UOA on this combo in his 2.slow

TDT

Thats for that link.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Since we can't post links to non-sponsor sites, google autohausaz, bimmerparts, ecs tuning, eac tuning, to name a few. There are plenty others if you do a general google search for vw parts.

You can not post links to non-sponsor sites, i.e. link to company xyz: http://www.xyz.com, but can you post the sites name such as xyz.com or autohausaz.com or bimmerparts.com or amazon.com ?

I usually buy Mann or Mahle filters for my E430 at these online stores: importedcarparts or importecparts

Last edited:
Also, I've got two M1 filters and one K&N filter for this VW 2.0 engine. If anybody wants to take them off my hands, drop me a note.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Since we can't post links to non-sponsor sites, google autohausaz, bimmerparts, ecs tuning, eac tuning, to name a few. There are plenty others if you do a general google search for vw parts.

Thanks that is how I figured someone would let me know.

I also buy a lot of maintenance parts for VW's from WorldImpex dot com.

Check with a dealership parts department but I believe the part number for a BEV 2.0 liter filter is 06A 115 561B. They should run about $7-8 each.

Check the sticker in the trunk in the spare tire well for the engine code if you're uncertain.

I have never been a fan of Mobil 1 0w40. So even though they do not meet any VW specs, I'd suggest almost any 5w40 for the normally-aspirated 2.0-liter VW gas engine. That might be my choice for the 2.0-turbo as well, but I'd have to give it some more thought.

Hey, I am going to help a friend change her oil in her Jetta. It is spec'd for 5W40 but I do not have any experience with this car or oil weight. So I was looking for some suggestions on what you all thought. It is not the turbo so no worry about that. It has a little over 66 thousand on the odometer and is driven mostly short trips with stop and go. Also what 5W40 oils meet VW specs?

Thanks
Shell Rotella Syn 5W40 is probably the best oil for it, but it doesn't have VW specs printed on the bottle....not that it matters because the Rotella is a very stout oil. If you were worried about the VW spec stuff for warranty reasons, Castrol Syntec 5W40 and Mobil 1 0W40 are availble at any Autozone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back