Used 2009 GMC Sierra first oil change...questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, for the past few days I have done my research on oil and all suggestions point to this site! I just wanted to say thank you for what Ive learned so far as I thought I knew what I was talking about....now....not so much. Ive always been a fan of Castrol only because I used to own a 2001 Camaro SS and was always told the German 0W30 was the best. Ive since sold the car and have owned a few beaters on down the road that ive put Castrols High Mileage in. Now that I just bought my first (NICE) daily driver I figured I would do a little more research first. From what Ive read so far it sounds like either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 would be the best choices. Then late last night I got into a whole new world with this Pennzoil Ultra stuff. I was leaning more towards the PP until I read more and more and was wondering if the Ultra is any better? Money really doesnt matter as I just want the best for my truck. GM recommends 5W30 but is that what I should stick with? The truck has 13,000 miles on it now and I live in MD where the summers arent too hott and the winters are a toss up. I drive 60 miles round trip to work 11 days a month and a little around town when im home. I plan on using the OLM and changing at 5%, any truth to having to change the Oil Filter twice if you plan or running longer OCI's?

Also, as far as Oil filters, it sounds like PuralatorOne or a NapaGold are the best...true? Is it worth the extra money for the Mobil1?

Sorry for all the Newb questions I just want to get it right the first time and stick with something that will help my truck run forever!

Thanks again for the help!!
David

As for oil, the Pennzoil brands are very good, as are M1 oils. There are several excellant filters. M1 stands out as does Pure 1, Bosch, K&N, and Amsoil if you don't mind ordering.

I also have an 09 Sierra and asked this same question some time ago.
I was a die hard Mobil-1 fan and used it for years and planned to continue until I received some replies to my questions, read quite a few UOA's etc.

Long story short, I am now using PYB(Penzoil yellow bottle)for the intial break-in then plan on switching to Penzoil Platinum when it is broken in.

Not saying Mobil-1 isn't good oil but from what I have learned, it simply is not worth the money!
There are many decent oils out there that compare or fair quite a bit better than Mobil, but for a lot less money.(even dino oils)

I am running Wix filters, which from what I gather are a great filter, maybe not as good as a Pure one but very close.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I believe tig1 and irv just about cover it.

Originally Posted By: irv
I was a die hard Mobil-1 fan and used it for years and planned to continue until I received some replies to my questions, read quite a few UOA's etc.

Long story short, I am now using PYB(Penzoil yellow bottle)for the intial break-in then plan on switching to Penzoil Platinum when it is broken in.

Not saying Mobil-1 isn't good oil but from what I have learned, it simply is not worth the money!
There are many decent oils out there that compare or fair quite a bit better than Mobil, but for a lot less money.(even dino oils)

I am running Wix filters, which from what I gather are a great filter, maybe not as good as a Pure one but very close.

It's amazimg how a simple question like 09sierra ask can turn into a M1 bash.

Any proper rated oil and viscosity will do the job. No need to change the filter in between. What is recommended in the manual? I doubt if there is a best oil. Remember the air filter and the intake plumbing seal is more important than your choice of oil filter.

I would say all of your oil/filter choices are good ones. As long as you change the oil following the OLM, you'll be set
thumbsup2.gif

I have the same truck. Pennzoil Platinum made the engine nosy. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, and Amsoil ASL have all ran as smooth as butter.

Pick your poison:

oil:
Castrol Edge 5W-30
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30
Amsoil 0W-30 or 5W-30
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

oil filters:
Purolator PureONE
Fram Extended Guard
Royal Purple
Mobil 1
Amsoil EaO

Can't go wrong with any combination of the above.
grin2.gif
Good luck with the new truck... I'd like that old Camaro of yours!

wow that was quick! Thank you all for the help, I think im gonna try the Pennzoil Ultra with a M1 filter. Also, would you suggest changing the ATF and Diff fluids? If so would it be ok just to drain and fill or have them flushed? Would the same brands mentioned above also be good for these applications?

Anybody ever heard or tried a FilterMag? Sounds good just didnt know if it was worth the money.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: PFF09Sierra
wow that was quick! Thank you all for the help, I think im gonna try the Pennzoil Ultra with a M1 filter. Also, would you suggest changing the ATF and Diff fluids? If so would it be ok just to drain and fill or have them flushed? Would the same brands mentioned above also be good for these applications?

Anybody ever heard or tried a FilterMag? Sounds good just didnt know if it was worth the money.

Thanks again!

Diff fluids yes but not the trans fluid unless your truck has a ton of miles on it. The newer GM trucks and cars come with Dex VI which is a very high quality (synthetic I think?) fluid designed to go longer than the old dex was designed for. Your truck should have the G80 if it is a locking rear and you dont need any additive for the G80 just a good quality diff oil like amsoils severe gear.

Your choice of PU and mobil 1 filter will do a very good job. PU starts with a high TBN and tends to retain it very nicely and the Mobil 1 filter is good for longer drain intervals.

Last edited:
So I guess I made the right choice with the PU, I just went to 2 Walmarts in my area and they were both sold out of the 5W30 and only had 5W20 and 5W40...but they plenty of PP and M1!! I had guys even check in the back and they had nothing. They both told me they usually sell out within the first few days but should be getting some in by the end of the week. Tried Advanced also and they didnt even carry it. Looks like ill have to stock up if I ever find some.

Thanks for the help ProStreet, Ill def look into Amsoil for the rear and leave the trans for now.

Anyone know if the FilterMag works?

Thanks again for all the help!

Originally Posted By: PFF09Sierra
So I guess I made the right choice with the PU, I just went to 2 Walmarts in my area and they were both sold out of the 5W30 and only had 5W20 and 5W40...but they plenty of PP and M1!! I had guys even check in the back and they had nothing. They both told me they usually sell out within the first few days but should be getting some in by the end of the week. Tried Advanced also and they didnt even carry it. Looks like ill have to stock up if I ever find some.

Thanks for the help ProStreet, Ill def look into Amsoil for the rear and leave the trans for now.

Anyone know if the FilterMag works?

Thanks again for all the help!

I see you are in maryland. What part? My walmart here in germantown always has PU when I go to pick it up. Actually just changed the oil in my wifes G35X today with 5W-30 PU and wix filter.

Southern Maryland, near LaPlata. There is a Walmart near my work in VA so I might try that one. Do you know of any other stores that carry it?

Originally Posted By: tig1

How is what I said a bash??
Maybe re-read it and not be so quick scouring bitog looking for anything that resembles, in your opinion, anything that "you" think is a bash?

I have a 2003 Silverado with the 5.3 I have Max Life in it now but i am going to put PYB in the truck. I do not have any leaks. If you read this site you will learn there really is not an oil that wont protect your engine. Just don't go too long on your intervals.

Maybe re-read it and not be so quick scouring bitog looking for anything that resembles, in your opinion, anything that "you" think is a bash?

A simple question was ask about PP and M1 and various oil filters and you're off to the races with several points of critizem for M1 all based on what others tell you(many M1 bashers here on BITOG have angendas) and UOAs, which some think a few PPM of anything more or less will lead to premature engine failure. You even mentioned you used M1 for some time(you must have had good success with it) untill the bashers and uninformed convinced you differantly.

A simple question was ask about PP and M1 and various oil filters and you're off to the races with several points of critizem for M1 all based on what others tell you(many M1 bashers here on BITOG have angendas) and UOAs, which some think a few PPM of anything more or less will lead to premature engine failure. You even mentioned you used M1 for some time(you must have had good success with it) untill the bashers and uninformed convinced you differantly.

And how many Mobil 1 drinkers have agendas sir? Please.
33.gif
Irv stated that in this engine that the OP has Mobil 1 is not going to do ANYTHING better than any other oil.

So the question is, as soon as someone states a FACT and uses the word Mobil 1 you jump out of your seat and post away.

Who has the agenda?
whistle.gif

I'm sure Irv will accept your apology.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back