2002 VW JETTA BEST OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUES

2002 VW JETTA 2.0L GAS ENGINE WITH 130,000KMS OR 78000 MILES

MANUFACTURERS SPECS: 5w40 vw 502 00 vw500 00 vw501 01
ACEA A2 OR ACEA A3 API SERVICE SJ

LIVE IN ONTARIO CANADA
I DRIVE FAIRLY HARD..AND FASTER THAN POSTED SPEED LIMITS..BUT I DON NOT RACE THE CAR..JUST HATE DRIVING SLOW..
THE DRIVE INTO WORK IS ABOUT 30KMS EACH WAY..CAN BE HIGHWAY OR STOP AND GO STREETS.
CAR HAS NO KNOWN ISSUES OTHER THAN OIL CONSUMPTION..ABOUT 2-3 LITERS EVERY 5000KMS...I HAVE ALWAYS USED MINERAL OILS..DON'T MIND USING SYNTHETIC IF IT WILL HELP PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE..

WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND? THX

Originally Posted By: new02vw
HAVE ALWAYS USED MINERAL OILS..DON'T MIND USING SYNTHETIC IF IT WILL HELP PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE..

I don't think there are any mineral 5w-40 oils out there, so what oil specifically are you using?

Synthetic will not necessarily prolong the life of the engine, but it will allow you to run longer intervals. I used to run Shell Rotella T 5w-40 in mine ('01 Jetta 2.0) at 10K mile intervals.

a VW spec oil isn't bad

Castrol Syntec 0w-30 "GC" as its called around here, made in germany and carries VW approval.

Mobil 1 0w-40 I believe is spec'd for your engine

other oils that would probably work [censored] good but not VW approved

Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck
Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage
Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage

Castrol Edge 5w-40 I think it is, might be VW spec'd, dunno how available that is in N. America

any kind of synthetic 40wt oil would probably do the job nicely, that includes oils that are "for" diesels like Rotella and such...

depends on how cold it gets up there and how often you change your oil. For summers I'd run one of the thicker oils mentioned. For winter time Mobil 1 0w-40 and Castrol Syntec 0w-30 would be good places to start.

I gotta do an oil change on a VW Jetta 1.8T and was pondering using some 10w-40HM Mobil 1 if I can find it. The last oil I put in it was Castrol Syntec 0w-30. Might go the 5w-40 TDT mobil 1 route, depends on whats cheaper and available at Walmart in the 5qt jug

Last edited:
did you have oil cunsumption issues?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
HAVE ALWAYS USED MINERAL OILS..DON'T MIND USING SYNTHETIC IF IT WILL HELP PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE..

I don't think there are any mineral 5w-40 oils out there, so what oil specifically are you using?

Synthetic will not necessarily prolong the life of the engine, but it will allow you to run longer intervals. I used to run Shell Rotella T 5w-40 in mine ('01 Jetta 2.0) at 10K mile intervals.

did you have oil cunsumption issues?

Yeah. I added about 2.5 quarts in 10K miles.

Seems like yours is worse... now that I think of it, using synthetic oil in your case is probably a waste of money. Good mineral 15w-40 will probably do the job. Just not sure if that's not too thick for winters, depending on how cold it gets where you are.

Last edited:
VW requires a 502.00 complaint oil, but since it is well out of warranty, feel free to use any 5w-40 synthetic oil.

Spec oil is just for extended drains and hardly relavent if consuming 2-3 litres over 5k miles. The 2.Slo hardly has the specific output to require a 40 weight oil anyway. So that leaves 30 weight. Dino 5w-30 is fine in winter, 10w-30 in summer if desired. Run a UOA on the used oil to check for wear.

I see you have a consumption issue, that tends toward using dino oil and maybe 10w-40 in summer/10w-30 in winter. Try a Hi-Miles oil or plain old Pennzoil.

ok so here are my options:

QUAKER STATE HIGH MILAGE 10W30 OR 5W30
CASTROL EGDE 10W30 OR 5W30
ROTELLA T 5W40 SYNTHETIC

AND I'M GOING TO USE PUROLATOR PURE ONE OIL FILTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back