New GE NightHawk Platinum 9006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never tried them, I used Silverstars before and they didn't last long for me. Then I found HIDs from ebay and never looked back.

I'd look at HIR2 bulbs before looking at a hopped-up 9006. The HIR2 will provide much more light and much more life. The minimum a HIR2 puts is 1875 lumens, vs ~1200 for a hopped-up 9006.

Any bulb with blue coating (or ring) is gimmick. You will GET less light with the blue coating and is terrible in inclement weather. That is just the law of physics.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would try DDM HID kit for $40. It seems to be better than GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs for not much more. Just be sure to adjust the light level a little lower than normal to not blinding oncoming drivers.

www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

And you still will blind every oncoming vehicle on the road...ya not illegal at all.

33.gif

Last edited:
And here we go again...

Critic, it's your call. You've heard opinions from all of us, now it's up to you.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

And you still will blind every oncoming vehicle on the road...ya not illegal at all.

33.gif

When will folks understand that if you install HID bulbs in a reflector not designed for it you not only totally blind on coming drivers you put your own life at stake if they end up hitting you because they are blinded.

HIDs installed in non approved reflectors/lenses is ILLEGAL, dangerous, inconsiderate, and just plain stupid.

HIR is the ticket...blows away everything else by quite a bit. No conflict with wiring, wattage, or any potential electronic interference feedback from cheap Chinese HID kits. Plus it works as designed in reflector type headlamp enclosures. Win-win.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
HIR is the ticket...blows away everything else by quite a bit. No conflict with wiring, wattage, or any potential electronic interference feedback from cheap Chinese HID kits. Plus it works as designed in reflector type headlamp enclosures. Win-win.

I wish they had an application for my old 9004 bulbs
21.gif

Installed them(NH Platinum 9007) in my Liberty about a month ago and I'm quite impressed. Way brighter than the OEM Philip bulbs. They make road signs and obstacles really stand out. I feel much safer driving at night with these bulbs installed.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Any bulb with blue coating (or ring) is gimmick. You will GET less light with the blue coating and is terrible in inclement weather. That is just the law of physics.

- Vikas

Agree 100% about the blue coated bulbs, ( and the post about HID kits. Stay AWAY from them! ) however the ones with just the small blue ring ( these bulbs and the Osram X-Treme Power) still allow the full spectrum of light to exit the bulb. For my application ( H13 ) Daniel Stern told me the Osrams are the best bulb available right now, and he doesn't sell them.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Do they last longer than most "fancy" bulbs?

Thanks!

Just remember that there's no "free lunch". These bulbs are brighter than stock so they will probably not last as long. They will probably last longer than any legal blue coated bulbs because blue ones have to be overdriven to put out even the minimum legal amount of light, but I can tell you're too smart to waste your money on blue bulbs :)

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Where can I get those cheap John Deer HIRs that everyone keeps talking about?

Sadly, you can't anymore. If you go to Candlepower's website, you can find them there. 2 HIR2 bulbs will run you about $50 shipped. The latest and greatest will run about $75 shipped.

Just ordered a set of these in the 9004 size for my father's Previa.

The esteemed Daniel Stern seems to give strong recommendations for the Nighthawk Platinums when used in the 9004 applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back