Best oil for a NEW 2010 Toyota Corolla!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to start one of the 'what's the best oil threads' since we just got a new car!! 2010 Corolla LE.

Looks like my wife was tired of sharing one car for a family of 4, so we went the sensible route and purchased a made in canada corolla loaded with features at a great price. And I even confirmed if was a unit manufactured after February 2010 when they made a bunch of models without the smart-key-push-button system. I assume they did this because of the bad press last year.

I'll probably use up the 5w30 stash I have here and then start on Toyota's 0w20.

This world of 20 weights is new to me. So be nice if I sound a little 'thick'
grin2.gif

Any suggestions on break in treatment? Drive her hard, soft, change oil early, don't... etc. Let's hear the opinions
19.gif

woah! I just looked up the oil filter for the corolla and wix is tellin' me it's a cartridge filter!! I did not know that. My first cartridge filter.. very excellent.

0w20 will be expensive, if that's your thing. I would use an excellent dino 5w20, such as Motorcraft. The cost/benefit anylisis just isn't there with the cost of 0w20 being about $6 per quart or more right now.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
M1 for a toyota. We cant do better UOA or performance/use wise than M1.

Pretty sad when mods repeat myths. It's not right. One of the things bringing BITOG down.

The OP mentioned using 5W-30. Does the OM call for XW-20?

Plenty of good XW-20's out there, not many/any that your engine would even know the difference during routine short OCI's.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I just had to start one of the 'what's the best oil threads' since we just got a new car!! 2010 Corolla LE.

Looks like my wife was tired of sharing one car for a family of 4, so we went the sensible route and purchased a made in canada corolla loaded with features at a great price. And I even confirmed if was a unit manufactured after February 2010 when they made a bunch of models without the smart-key-push-button system. I assume they did this because of the bad press last year.

I'll probably use up the 5w30 stash I have here and then start on Toyota's 0w20.

This world of 20 weights is new to me. So be nice if I sound a little 'thick'
grin2.gif

Any suggestions on break in treatment? Drive her hard, soft, change oil early, don't... etc. Let's hear the opinions
19.gif

Good luck with your new ride. I would change the factory fill at about 1000 miles, use a good 5W20 dino oil like PYB run that for another 2000 miles. Then make the switch to a 0W20 oil. Toyota 0W20 if you can get a good price or Castrol Edge 0W20 would be my choices. I would not use the 5W30 in that engine, because it calls for a 20 grade oil. I know the 5W30 won't harm the engine, but I would stick to what Toyota suggests and call it a day.

Drive it easy for the first 500 miles mixing up the speed, giving it a good kick in the [censored] once in a while after the engine is good and hot. Odds are the lot boy broke her in already! JMO

I have owned several new vehicles over the years and currently have one with about 1800 miles on it and the other with about 800.

I always have used the owners manual when it comes to oil changes and engine break in. +1 on taking it easy for at least the first 500 miles and mixing up speed.

I never dump the factory fill of oil early unless the owners manual recommends it.

I would stick with the 0W20 when you do change the oil.

If warranty does not require the pricy 0w-20 just buy a brand name 5w-20 and call it a day. The 4 cyl in my Tacoma has been fine on anything. No oil use at all. As far as breaking it in, just find a long hill and give it 3/4 throttle a few times up the hill, and put a moderate amount of pressure on the rings and it will seat those rings and break in fine. Try to do it with the original fill. Enjoy the Corolla.

How much did you pay ?
The Corolla is a great car for the money.

I would not drive it hard and keep the original oil for the first 5K miles.

Is Toyota still calling for an oil change interval of 5000 miles or 6 months? If so, going with an expensive synthetic may not prove very practical.

During the 6 month interval I've put as little as 200 miles on my RAV4 but must go dump the oil to maintain warranty. Quite expensive were I using synthetic. It's wasteful with either but little choice due to warranty requirements.

If they have stepped up to 10,000 mile intervals as on some Toyotas then that's a whole different animal.

I paid dealer invoice for it, plus a $500 dollar graduate rebate (my wife graduated from University in the last 4 years) and got 0% financing. It was the last day for the dealer to meet May sales quota, so the timing helped.

All that poor 5w30 in the basement... I'll never get through it all. Looking forward to getting the manual and giving it a good read. If it calls for a 20 weight *only* than that's what it will get.

Some of the features that surprised me for a corolla were:

- VSC (stability control)
- Traction Control
- ABS and EBD
- Automatic (yes, I know, it's my first auto... my wife commutes. It's also her first auto).
- Bluetooth module for Stereo
- xm sat ready 6 speaker stereo
- 16 inch alloy rims
- fog lights
- heated side mirrors
- optitron gauges, with digital multi function display (including water temp, outside temp, and other tricks)

Has all the traits of a great little commuter and should be good on gas.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Is Toyota still calling for an oil change interval of 5000 miles or 6 months? If so, going with an expensive synthetic may not prove very practical.

During the 6 month interval I've put as little as 200 miles on my RAV4 but must go dump the oil to maintain warranty. Quite expensive were I using synthetic. It's wasteful with either but little choice due to warranty requirements.

If they have stepped up to 10,000 mile intervals as on some Toyotas then that's a whole different animal.

I'm not sure what the interval is, but 8k KM (5k miles) sounds about right.

Toyota is in the process of "converting" many cars in its line to 10k mile OCIs, using 0w-20. I don't know if the Corolla is in that category or not. I'm sure you'll be checking on that. If it applies, that would offer some added flex, and make the use of synthetic (well, any oil for that matter) more economical.

woah! I just looked up the oil filter for the corolla and wix is tellin' me it's a cartridge filter!! I did not know that. My first cartridge filter.. very excellent.

You have Toyota's 2ZR-FE 1.8L engine used in the 2009-2010 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe.

You might be interested in the 2ZR-FE cartridge filter change pics posted in the link below (starting at the thirteenth post down):

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38351&page=2

Note: the ACDelco cartridge filter pictured is actually made by Denso, and is the same as the Toyota OEM.

Those engines appear to not wear much. I'd go to 1000, change it to MC 5w20, run it 4k, then just MC or PYB 5w20 for 5-6k changes for the rest of its life. If you do highway miles then perhaps 7k.
Syn you need to go 10k to get your money's worth. Platinum would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: LTVibe

You have Toyota's 2ZR-FE 1.8L engine used in the 2009-2010 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe.

You might be interested in the 2ZR-FE cartridge filter change pics posted in the link below (starting at the thirteenth post down):

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38351&page=2

Note: the ACDelco cartridge filter pictured is actually made by Denso, and is the same as the Toyota OEM.

Excellent pics! Thanks!

Congrats on your new car!

FF change at 1,000-2,000
Run the oil the OM calls for
Dino should be fine with 5k runs

As far as breaking it in, just drive it normally. It'll break in around 100k
grin2.gif
01.gif

I got a case of 12 quarts of Toyota 0w20 synthetic for $60.
I'd use that and the PureOne filter if they make one for it. Otherwise, just use OEM Toyota filter. trdsparks.com has good deals on Toyota/Scion parts. You can also barter with the dealers. I do now, and it works.
Good luck on the new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back