I am fighting back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am SICK of the selfish people who believe their attempt to be cool with their aftermarket high intensity lighting is worth BLINDING me and my family on the highways. After recently teaching my daughter to drive, she asked me "Dad, what do I do when those terrible blue headlights coming at me hurt my eyes?" Sadly, I had no answer, just "look away" as best as you can, until the offender passes.

That was my advice for her, but for me I now employ two specific strategies:

For ONCOMING blue or other HID vehicles; I light up my brights right in their face until they totally pass. I do this each and every time.

For TRAILING blue or other HID vehicles; blinding me through my rear-view mirrors, I adjust the mirror fully down to kill the glare, then ease up on the gas letting the offender pass, the follow behind the offender blasting him with my BRIGHTS as long as possible.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

For approaching car:
I just use hand the shield my left eye while I keep my right eye on the road.

For tailgaters:
I just simply take my foot off the gas and slow down until the [censored] changes lanes and passes me.

I agree.
I put reflective tape on the back of my truck to annoy bright tailgaters. They usually get sick of it after a while and pass.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I am SICK of the selfish people who believe their attempt to be cool with their aftermarket high intensity lighting is worth BLINDING me and my family on the highways. After recently teaching my daughter to drive, she asked me "Dad, what do I do when those terrible blue headlights coming at me hurt my eyes?" Sadly, I had no answer, just "look away" as best as you can, until the offender passes.

That was my advice for her, but for me I now employ two specific strategies:

For ONCOMING blue or other HID vehicles; I light up my brights right in their face until they totally pass. I do this each and every time.

For TRAILING blue or other HID vehicles; blinding me through my rear-view mirrors, I adjust the mirror fully down to kill the glare, then ease up on the gas letting the offender pass, the follow behind the offender blasting him with my BRIGHTS as long as possible.

I like you style..
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I agree those lights are a PITA. But I wouldn't employ your strategy with your brights, that's just giving them what they want, to be noticed.

Do you do this with your daughter watching?

A guy I went to high-school with years ago had what he thought was the perfect solution (probably not legal) to the tailgater with bright lights. He mounted a set of large driving lights (white) on the edges of the trunk on his old Celebrity. If someone behind him had their high-beams on, he would flash them once (just like on-coming). If they didn't get the hint, he left them on! Not smart or a good idea even, but it worked.

Rob

I generally flash at oncomers if it is a divided highway. For folks too b right behind me, I slow a bit and have my hi beams on - and let them drive into the path.

When i was learning to drive it was recommended to me to look down at the white line on the right side of the car when folks wouldnt dim their high beams.

Dad was a good teacher

Seriously be careful doing that there are some real lunatics out there that will turn more more than just another set of light on.Don't get your family involved in road rage especially at night on some deserted road.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Seriously be careful doing that there are some real lunatics out there that will turn more more than just another set of light on.Don't get your family involved in road rage especially at night on some deserted road.

Yea, road rage is a real problem. I would hate to get into a moving battle while driving down the road.

I flash my brights several times, then leave them on until they shut theirs down or pass. For folks behind, my mirrors are adjusted to see blind spots, so their high beams aren't visible anyhow.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
When i was learning to drive it was recommended to me to look down at the white line on the right side of the car when folks wouldnt dim their high beams.

Dad was a good teacher

I got that one too... But people are less and less considerate.

I usually flip my rear view mirror up. It's annoying with those HIDs/Blue Lights. I had one guy up my rear so I pulled over, put my high beams on and went behind him until he pulled off. People coming towards me with their super blind lights get high beams as well.

In NJ they aren't really legal or illegal its a gray area, but causes a lot of vision issues. It's like staring at the sun and looking else where your vision is messed up.

All I can say is if you escalate the situation you may end up seriously injured or even dead...It ain't worth it to try and retaliate.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For approaching car:
I just use hand the shield my left eye while I keep my right eye on the road.

For tailgaters:
I just simply take my foot off the gas and slow down until the [censored] changes lanes and passes me.

Wise man. I'm sure almost all of us would all love to do like the OP, but two wrongs don't make a right, and, where I'm from, it's unlawful.

Still want to make some bumper stickers for tailgaters that read "The closer you get, the slower I go"

Originally Posted By: Anies
In NJ they aren't really legal or illegal its a gray area, but causes a lot of vision issues. It's like staring at the sun and looking else where your vision is messed up.

If you're talking about HID conversions, they're illegal everywhere. They violate FMVSS regulations (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard). That rarely stops anyone from doing it. Heck, simple respect for your fellow motorists isn't even good enough. It's really too bad that HID kits are so cheap these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back