Best Additive to reduce oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you have been using the Lucas Stabilizer since 20,000 miles you probably have some stuck piston rings causing the oil consumption. You might need to do some gentle cleaning to help free up the rings.

Good point. Time for some AutoRX maybe?
55.gif

Time for some MMO and Pennzoil Platinum.
grin2.gif

Call me stupid but what is MMO? You referring to Marvels Mystery Oil? A couple of you said something about it.

Last edited:
Just stay with Maxlife blend 10W30 or even try the heavier 10W40... Great oils.

If you think you need to supplement/thicker, I would just go with the 10W40 and drop the Lucas garbage. Never liked the stuff in any of my classic/muscle cars and I think it caused a few ring problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Call me stupid but what is MMO? You referring to Marvels Mystery Oil? A couple of you said something about it.

Yes, Marvel Mystery Oil.

LOTS of threads on it here.......

I'd try come MMO to help clean the ring areas out.
But it thins the oil, and that should be compensated for with a thicker engine oil. MMO is about a 5W.

But as an additive to quickly slow oil burning, the oldest trick in the book is thicker oil.

Havoline 10w30 HM for a couple of OCIs helped stabilize oil consumption in my 1997 Tbird which started after an experiment with synthetic oil...after that I was able to use the regular Motorcraft 10w 30, with no oil usage, then moved down to Motorcraft 5w/30 and the car returned to previous "normal" consumption around 1/2 qt per about 5k miles...After a flush with Lubeguard, I recently started using Motorcraft 5w-20 and will see how the consumption is...no consumption yet, at about 1000 miles into it...

VSOT (if you can find any) might also help to thicken it up a bit...

Don't use Cermax, lol. Autorx then switch to synthetic like amsoil or RP after you phases. MMO will do nothing except make you engine run smoother.

Last edited:
I got a quart of MMO today I will add it as it needs it to this oil change till I got the whole quart in there and change it when I reach 3,000 miles. My truck holds 6qts. I usually run 10-30 but if I buy the Maxlife 10w-40 5qt jug and a quart of MMO would it be ok to run this in the next oil change the whole 3,000 miles? Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
When the oil is down 1/2 to 3/4's of a quart, add a quart of MMO.

It will overfill it a bit, but it will start cleaning uop the engine slowly.

+1, Or you can remove the filter drain the filter and reinstall it. Then start the car check for leaks and check the oil level, do that until you remove ~ a qt of oil. Replace with MMO. I've done it a few times now, and never had a problem with a filter leaking. Just be sure to let the engine sit a while before checking the oil.

MMO will clean the engine and the ring areas if that is the problem. The only fear I have is since you've used Lucas OS for so long the engine might have developed a wear pattern, and you will continue to use oil. JMO

You would only need one qt of heavier oil.
The MMO website says it is OK to NOT use heavier oil.
Hot weather makes me think differently.
MMO is slow, but it does clean thing inside the engine.
There are not dead cars and airplanes littering the countryside from using MMO.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
First, check your PCV system. Replace anything that looks at you funny.

Then, run the MaxLife straight with no additive for at least 2-3 oil changes and see if the consumption settles out.

As far as I can tell, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is pretty much bunk; the only thing it's good for is making a busted engine appear trouble-free just long enough for you to sell it. If it makes no difference to you, that's all the more reason to stop using it whatever happens.

I've cleaned the PCV Valve its the one without the shaker its just straight through. Its been all nasty before but its all good now and has been for a while.

It's strange that the PCV valve doesn't have a shaker. My '01 Chevy with the 5.3 does have a traditional valve, AC Delco #CV948C.

Do you still get the startup knock? Mine has made a little noise on hot startup, but nothing as bad as the "piston slap" people used to talk about. I have tried getting rid of that by adding a quart of thicker oil each change, but I'm not sure that has made a difference. I guess I just don't pay attention as much now.

Several years ago, I got a gallon of Lube Control LC20, and have been using 6 oz. per change and 2 oz. every 1500 miles. Twice after long highway trips (halfway across the country) I noticed a cold start knock that was cured by adding a little bit. Your truck has double the miles of mine, so I'm not sure the LC20 would have the same effect.

Others have given plenty of oil suggestions. I would use one of them without the Lucas.

My truck knocks like [censored] when its cold out. Not so much in the summer months but a little. It started at 20,000 miles and boy was I [censored] with it being a new truck I paid $35,000 for. Now it has 175,000 on it and still going strong. I kept the oil changed every 3,000 miles and wish I wouldn't have been using lucas all these years now. I spent alot of money for nothing looks like. I took to dealer several times and told me it was normal. So I'm used to it not and dont really notice.

the noise you are hearing is "piston slap".

google GM piston slap and you will find a ton of info on it.

It basically is a bunch of noise from the pistons during cold starts and GM denies that it is a mechanical problem and that it is normal.

stick with the val maxlife and a quality filter and it will be fine. Valvoline Maxlife Full Syntetic is great if you can find it. I used it many times and reduces consumption on the applications I used it for.

1 qt consumed per OCI is cosidered within normal operating spec from most manufacturers, especially on an engine with 175k miles.

if you want, add a bottle of Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment in the gold bottle. leave the Lucas at the parts store and save you some $$$.

before your next OCI, you may want to give your 5.3 a Seafoam or ACDelco Top Engine Cleaner Treatment to clean the combustion chambers.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back