Kohler 20hp Pro smokes after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the oil and it was just above the add line. Guess what? It did not smoke. I may change the oil out after the next cut and add just enough to get a little above the add line?

like others have said Kohlers smoke a bit on startup. I had a 25HP Command that smoked pretty bad on startup after about 1000 hours, but it was still running strong when I sold it with over 2400 hours. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

My DLT3000 with the 20hp Kohler engine will smoke on start-up if parked nose down.
I ran Rotella synthetic in mine two years ago and it smoked worse on start-up so I switched back to Rotella 15W-40 and all is well.

For what it's worth, the 4 year old Troy-Bilt with a Briggs engine smokes on start-up also.

Our 25HP Kohler command pro started consuming small amounts of oil at around 80 hours. It started to smoke when started. By 200 hours is was smoking very heavily when started and for the first few minutes after and used even more oil. Took it in and the engine had bad rings on one side. Kohler authorized the dealer (fantastic dealer with great mechanics) to rebuild the engine with new rings on both sides, new reed valves, complete gasket set and new spark plugs. Unit now has over 700 hours on it and it NEVER smokes at any time. It also uses absolutely no oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back