Mercruiser 454 castrol gtx 20w50 sodium level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have dual 454's that have 100 hours in last eight years. One is fine, the other had high:

iron 240 (26) (after oil and filter change and 12 hours)
lead 37 (4)
copper 65 (11)
Alum 34 (4)
sodium 498 (98)

Seems like sodium is still high, press test of coolant system is okay. Any idea's?

I use M-1 20W-50 V-Twin in my Mercruiser 525 EFI's.

Gorilla juice...practically 0 wear numbers in oil samples,

What you have is not probably oil related. One engine is abnormally wearing...spelling possible failure in my books out in the middle of the lake...needs to be overhauled.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do these use lake water as coolant or do they have their own radiators?

This is closed cooling... you can't pressure test a raw water cooling system.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do these use lake water as coolant or do they have their own radiators?

This is closed cooling... you can't pressure test a raw water cooling system.
Sure you can. Just plug up the holes. Thats what we done with my Boss's boat to find a leak.

Chrom tin,1
nickel silver magnes 168
calcium 2228
barium phosperous 759
zinc812
moly boron 18

The boat had very little use the last 8 years, mostly sitting. An oil analysis was done and came back with a coolant leak on just one engine. Changed oil on both engines and ran for 12 hours, but sodium came back as an alert to be checked at next oil change on just the one engine that had the high #'s.

Maybe residue? And coolant was just seepage from sitting so long?
Boat used in salt water, freshwater cooling. Pressure tested the closed system, okay!

Both engines had the oil changed, only one had the high #'s. No other symptems, good oil pressure, full rpm's, full power, starts easily etc.

you must have HUGE clearances in those motors to run 20w-50. Sounds like one is getting even bigger.

I'd want to pull it down for a look see. Good luck with it.

I have a custom tweaked zz572 crate motor with a blower and it uses 0w-30 Amsoil synthetic. About 850 hp at the crank.

Never uses oil and gets great analysis #'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back