Delvac 1300 in a turbo Suby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had PU in my Subaru but had to drain the oil prematurely when my upgraded oil pickup arrived. I have seen a few UOA's on the delvac and it looks stout. Any opinions on using it in the turbo Suby. I dont really drive it that hard just a few WOT runs occasionally. Im sure some will say it will make it sluggish but I doubt it will be that noticeable.

Yea I usually use T6 I was just looking at some others because I just get to bored easily I guess. The only VOA I found on it had a ton of calcium and a lot of zinc so I figured it would be good for cleanliness and wear. BTW I meant for this to be in the other PCMO section sorry
33.gif

Last edited:
Well, do what you want, bubba. In the end, your car will probably be wear out or be destroyed by modding (you said you get bored, so I'm guess that's not exclusive to oil) before your oil choice will.

Out of curiosity, did your pickup crack or in any way fail or did you do this because you read of failures online?

I use this in the summer in my VW 1.8 gas turbo. It cleans well and I have experienced no sludge or turbo problems and the engine is over 150K miles. Also use it in two BMW R1200 air cooled motorcycles. It, like other HDEOs are stout.
I use Delo 0W30 synthetic in the winter. These engines are known for sludge and related turbo problems and mine has been rock solid. I can afford synthetic but want the best oil for the job and that has been Delvac for around 5 years now. Little consumption on 5K changes, less than a cup added.

I've got 4qts of Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 and 0.5qt Rotella 15w-40 in my '06 WRX right now. I notice absolutely zero difference in how the car drives regarding power or gas mileage. I was using Rotella T6 5W-40 before and decided to give the 15w-40 a shot just to see. I've gotten 26 mpg combined regardless of which oil I use.

As an added bonus the Delvac was on sale for $9.99/gal at Advance Auto Parts for a while. I've got enough to last me through the summer, then I'll probably go with either Rotella T5 0W-40/0W-30 or T6 5W-40.

I'm sold on XW-40 for turbo Subies.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Well, do what you want, bubba. In the end, your car will probably be wear out or be destroyed by modding (you said you get bored, so I'm guess that's not exclusive to oil) before your oil choice will.

Out of curiosity, did your pickup crack or in any way fail or did you do this because you read of failures online?

Not sure what tone that first comment was in but I dont need a lesson in what modifying a car can do to reliability. Actually im pretty happy with my state of tune as it is now becuase its only slighlty altered from stock and still reliable.I replaced the pickup because of all the attention it gets one the web as a safety precaution. Mine had a hairline crack where most of them break at. I would try to post some pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CSM746
I use this in the summer in my VW 1.8 gas turbo. It cleans well and I have experienced no sludge or turbo problems and the engine is over 150K miles. Also use it in two BMW R1200 air cooled motorcycles. It, like other HDEOs are stout.
I use Delo 0W30 synthetic in the winter. These engines are known for sludge and related turbo problems and mine has been rock solid. I can afford synthetic but want the best oil for the job and that has been Delvac for around 5 years now. Little consumption on 5K changes, less than a cup added.

Thats good to hear. My girlfriend got a 1.8t jetta not long ago and itlooked clean under the valve cover so hopefully a good HDEO will keep it that way.

Hi Red,
I always enjoy your posts. I have to disagree with you about the conventional oil in a TDI. My owners' manual says synthetic is preferred in 5W-30 or 40; but any oil meeting the CF spec in an appropriate viscosity is OK.
This past summer I used Delvac 15W-40 in my ALH engine, and no issues or problems. Then I picked up my Lubromoly stash and I've been using it since. When it's gone, I'll probably go to M1 either M or ESP.

I hate to be the one to say it but if you use anything other than an oil that says VW505.00 right on the bottle you are doing yourself a disservice.

The CF spec is not precise enough for a small VW diesel IMO. I certainly would not run a regular conventional oil either even if it was changed sooner. I am always a firm believer that once it has a turbo gas or diesel, synthetic all the way.

I personally see no wrong in using a built to spec diesel oil like Rotella, Delvac, Delo but just using M1 ESP in a TDI is a risk. Save it for the gas motors.

When I did run a TDI, I used Mobil TDT, GC, and I tried Elf once. There were some dealer changes that used Syntec 5w40 as well(before I got smart)
33.gif

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
I had PU in my Subaru but had to drain the oil prematurely when my upgraded oil pickup arrived. I have seen a few UOA's on the delvac and it looks stout. Any opinions on using it in the turbo Suby. I dont really drive it that hard just a few WOT runs occasionally. Im sure some will say it will make it sluggish but I doubt it will be that noticeable.

In general, you won't find a better oil than Delvac 1300 Super 15W40. Think Robust and Heavy Duty. I use it in my Mercedes OM647 turbo-diesel I-5 Sprinter and in both my motorcycles (650 and 920 Yamahas who's air-cooled engines operate up into the 300 F range).
Modern high performance Japanese engines such as my Mazda MX5 roadster and your turbo-sub have incredibly fine tolerances and oil passages, however. A 0W-30, 0W-40 or 5W-30 would give you better start-up protection. My choice would be Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro-Car formula. Light enough for a cold morning start of a tight hi-reving engine like an MX5 and robust enough to be the factory fill for a Sprinter turbo-diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back