.22 LR bird shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok whats the deal with these so called bird shots for 22's trying to take out some barn swallows and if im more then 10-20ft away i cant kill nothing,i have to be right on them to make a kill it seems the pattern spreads to fast.

do they make a better Bird shot? im using just winchester now.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
They are about as effective as throwing an empty oil bottle at them.

you got that right!!!

so all B S are rounds are like that?

.22 rat shot- here's a counter-intuitve fact, it actualy works better from a handgun than a rifle. A revolver with about a 3" to 4" barrel is ideal. Velocity loss is fairly small, & it patterns much better. Even so, I'd set about 7-8 feet as a practical maximum. From my own Ruger .22 single action w/6.5" barrel, my experience says rat shot is a great snake killer at 5-6 feet- much worse by 8-9 feet, and the pattern gets so thin it's pretty much useless by 12-13 feet.

HOWEVER: back in the 1950's- 60's, into the 1970s, there was a .22 LR ratshot skeet shooting system called Mo-Skeet. It was available at Scout Camp way back when. I know this for a fact because most my spending money went to the Rifle Range & the MoSkeet Range!
grin2.gif
The targets were small clay pigeons, maybe 2 1/2" in diameter. The guns were bolt action .22 *Smoothbore* single shots- with a smooth .22 dia bore for about a foot, that then flared to a larger smooth bore for the remainder of the barrel length. IIRC, it was a little smaller than a .410 at the muzzle, maybe about the size of a .38/9mm or a bit bigger. If you could find such a gun somewhere, it should extend your .22 rat-shot bird shooting range to about 20 ft or a little more- but not a whole lot more!
wink.gif

Ahhh i see ok, well that stinks why make the rounds then if there so ineffective, seems silly to me, was going to buy another box getting low but probably wont now.

i get a kick outa the box has a warning on the range, 3/8 of a mile or something like that, yea right.

Decent pellet rifle and a little shooting practice. I could plink pennies off the backyard fence from well over 50ft with iron sights.

I think it is the rifling that fouls things up. I did a patern test on one once because I couldn't hit anything and found the shot was like a small tire shape. All the shot was in a outside ring and a big hole in the middle. I found that if I aimed to the side of the target I did better. I am thinking that the rifling spins the shot to the outside.

Try a pattern on a paper plate or something and see if you get the same results. Should be able to tell the effective range after a couple of tries also.

Originally Posted By: White 03
I think it is the rifling that fouls things up. I did a patern test on one once because I couldn't hit anything and found the shot was like a small tire shape. All the shot was in a outside ring and a big hole in the middle. I found that if I aimed to the side of the target I did better. I am thinking that the rifling spins the shot to the outside.

Try a pattern on a paper plate or something and see if you get the same results. Should be able to tell the effective range after a couple of tries also.

Yup, all 100% true. It's the spinning- and, I suspect, addtional dispersion from the extra shot deformation that occurs in the longer barrel of a rifle- that cause such rapid & uneven dispersion. Holding off to one side may well produce better hits after the first few feet- but bear in mind that those little crimped brass .22 shells hold a *very* small charge of shot.

Originally Posted By: White 03

How far away were you from target? i did shoot pice a tin and it seemed fine had hits in the center as well,BUT i was only 10ft from my target,i'll try farther away and see.

yes these rounds need more shot in them

I'm using a old Remington bolt action long barrel gun,it's a accurate old girl with slugs reaches out.

My Granddad used .22 LR birdshot to kill rats and other rodents around the house. He usually shot them from 5 or less feet.

Maybe .22 mag birdshot would work better for you.

If you have a .357 Mag revolver you can hand load birdshot for it btw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Haha yea dont have a 410 tho,do they make bird shot for that gun?

.410, sure since it's a shotgun they make shells with up to #9 shot (very fine)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: daman
Haha yea dont have a 410 tho,do they make bird shot for that gun?

.410, sure since it's a shotgun they make shells with up to #9 shot (very fine)

Hmmmmm
fighting0067.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I hope the swallows aren't in your barn (roof ventilation), and why do you want to shoot them?

They do eat insects!

Well thats the thing a 22 with bird shot wouldn't do any damage shooting inside,they dive at you and c rap all over equipment.

Yea, that swallow poo all over everything gets annoying. I'd rather use a red rider BB gun than 22 bird-shot on anything more than a barn mouse.

I agree with JT1. A decent air rifle with good sights is more effective at anything more than 15-20 feet. A Crosman 66 is pretty stout for the money :).

I've special ordered a smooth bore savage .22, so they were still available as of 6 or 7 years ago. I use it instead of a gig for frogs. If you shoot them with a regular .22 they will jump, if you shoot them with they shotshell they don't go anywhere. The smoothbore pattern's well, but you still have to be within 30-40 feet to do any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back