New Rotors, Old Pads OK? Pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it okay to install new rotors and keep the old brake pads?

I recently bought a used car from a private seller and knew it needed new brakes. I took the tires off for a closer inspection and turns out the pads have a ton of life left. So, I went to NAPA to have them turn the rotors only to find out if I did then they would be below minimum manufacture specs. I ended up getting two new front rotors (NAPA Premium) . I installed them, and kept the old pads on. I took it for a drive and the brakes feel fine. After the drive I noticed the pattern the pads are wearing into the rotors. I do not think it will cause any problems considering how much stronger the rotor material is compared to the pads.

Here are a few picture from a 10 minute drive.

258tq92.jpg

a132g1.jpg

fd7l6w.jpg

Any thoughts?

If I wanted more "bite" would pads do the trick?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You should be fine.

I would rather see new rotors on old pads, than new pads on old rotors

+1

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You should be fine.

I would rather see new rotors on old pads, than new pads on old rotors

+2

It will be ok if you continue to drive the car alot. If not the parts of the pad that don't contact the rotor will turn into rust rings. This very well can ruin the rotor(s).

However as I said, if you drive rather frequent then it is a non-issue.

I would preffered new pads, but this is obvious.

Any harm?
The old pads will have a little or a lot of wear that is non flat. This results in high 'hot' spots that can wear the rotor differently than a new flat pad.
Other than that, it is OK to use the old pads.

*UPDATE*

Thanks for the responses so far! I have put about 800 miles on the new rotors/old pads and things have been working fine. However, on my way home from work today, the ABS light turned on signaling my rear pads/rotors are on their way out. I am planning on replacing the rear rotors and pads.

I think I will just get new front pads too so all rotors/pads will be new. Will this be okay even thought I put 800 miles on the new rotor using the old pads? I don't want to cause any harm here.

If you get both front and rear sets there are some promotions going on from Wagner.. Check the websites of auto stores and pad manufactureres for rebates.

Quote:
the ABS light turned on signaling my rear pads/rotors are on their way out

????????????

How does the ABS light relate to wear on your pads or rotors? If the same light indicates other brake problems such as low fluid level, inspect all the braking system and adjust the fluid level.

You haven't done any harm to anything. If the front pads are grooved from the old rotors, put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and lightly dress the surface of the friction material until it is flat. You'll be good for the remaining thickness of the friction material.

You only need new pads and rotors on the rear if both are worn below minimum spec. Do take a very good look at everything. My Volvo is unusual in that the rear pads wear before the fronts. I know that and inspect them semi-yearly.

Here is my dilemma...do I get the cheapest pads I can find or do I get better quality? I only plan on keeping the car for 2 years or 20,000 miles. I am very easy on the car and do not drive like I am racing the thing. However, I realize brakes are important in terms of safety. I would also hate to buy cheap pads and have them see the end of their life when I go to sell the car. I also don't want to drive two years with poor brake performance. I have a NAPA, Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto Parts near me.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with inexpensive pads. Premium pads just have more "features" you may or may not want such as low dust, fade resistance, extra long life, etc.

If you're worried about pads wearing low by the end of 2 yrs, just get the basic Duralast pads at AutoZone. They're usually around $20 a set and have a lifetime warranty. When it comes time to sell, get another set free. =)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Here is my dilemma...do I get the cheapest pads I can find or do I get better quality? I only plan on keeping the car for 2 years or 20,000 miles. I am very easy on the car and do not drive like I am racing the thing. However, I realize brakes are important in terms of safety. I would also hate to buy cheap pads and have them see the end of their life when I go to sell the car. I also don't want to drive two years with poor brake performance. I have a NAPA, Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto Parts near me.

What do you suggest?

The wear pattern looks fine, just give it a few thousand miles and it will look normal.

I would get a set of quality semi-metallic pads. It is an Euro application, after all. Mintex Red pads are as cheap as the pads from AutoZone but are much better quality. Sure, they may not be as good as a set of OE or Hawk pads, but they are still better than any of the Duralast stuff.

Here is a link to the pads from a reputable seller:

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/produ...products_id=815

$60 shipped for a set of quality pads. CANNOT beat that. And yeah, being able to stop is kinda important.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back