oil recommendation for Nissan QR25DE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an oil recommendation for my next OCI. Although it is still 4K miles away, I figure if I have an oil in mind then I can watch the ads and maybe pick it up if/when it goes on sale and save some money.

- The vehicle is a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 S with the QR25DE engine. It's still under warranty.
- The owner's manual calls for API Service SM, SAE 5W-30, Energy Conserving oil.
- I live in Southeast Michigan. The selected oil won't go in until September/October and will be in there through the winter until March/April.
- I generally drive pretty easy. I rarely ever see the tach go higher than 3000 RPM.
- My daily drive is 70 miles round trip with a 40% city / 60% highway split. But since I carpool, every other day the car is only driven 6 city miles in the morning to where I meet for carpool, and then 6 city miles back home in the evening.
- The engine has no known problems.
- I'll only use full synthetic oil.
- I run 6K OCIs which equates to 6 months.
- Walmart, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Pep Boys, and O'Reilly are all near me.

Here's a history of my OCIs to date:
- Factory Fill, 0 - 4K miles
- Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, 4K - 10K miles
- Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, 10K - 16K miles
- Castrol EDGE 5W-30, 16K - 22K miles
- Castrol EDGE 5W-30, Current Fill

The only pre-disposition I have is that I'd like to try something other than Valvoline SynPower or Castrol EDGE, only because I've already tried those. (Both of them have been fine with no noticeable differences BTW.) I've thought about trying a 0W-30, but the stores mentioned above don't seem to carry much of a selection in that weight other than Mobil 1.

Give Ultra a try. It's 'designed' to keep engine spotless on factory OCI's, which is what you're basically following (6 months).

I have the same engine than you in my Rogue and I used Synpower in one OCI and PP for the next OCI.
Here are my UOAs:

OCI with Synpower
OCI with PP

I really liked it a lot with PP as I found the engine quieter especially in winter on cold starts.

As for now, I had some Synpower I got on sale, so that is what I have in the sump (I have to change my sig).

Since you want to change from Synpower, try PP, it seems to return good numbers.

I have a 2006 Sentra with the 1.8S and using PP. it is working fine for me now.

Andy

I was going to say Mobil 1 0w-30 since you're going to use it during winter, but you sound reluctant to use it. If price isn't a concern then try Ultra 5w-30. My car (listed in my sig) seems to like it. Don't notice the startup rattle it usually makes since the oil change with it.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I was going to say Mobil 1 0w-30 since you're going to use it during winter, but you sound reluctant to use it.

Not necessarily reluntant. I just realize that if I wanted to try a 0W-30 it would essentially have to be Mobil 1 since it seems to be the only 0W-30 currently available.

Feedback thus far has yielded the following "votes":

4 Pennzoil Platinum
4 Pennzoil Ultra
1 Mobil 1 Extended Performance
1 Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30
1 Valvoline SynPower

I was surprised to see:
1) Such a dominant recommendation for Pennzoil.
2) So few recommendations for Mobil 1.
3) No votes at all for any of the boutique synthetics.
4) Not one mention of Quaker State.

Stick with either the Valvoline or give GC a try. My SpecV likes 5W-30 Syntec as well (although I don't like Castrol's advertisements). It seems the QR25DE likes thinner oils at startup, especially in cold weather.

Good luck!

Gary

I have run QSQTP in my 97 Sentra I did not like it as much as PP

but if you are going with OCI under 7,000 you would be fine with QSQTP or QSQHP.

Andy

What are QSQTP or QSQHP?

I presume QSQHP is Quaker State Q Horsepower, also known as Ultimate Durability, the full synthetic.

What Quaker State is QSQTP?

Synpower ALLDAY!
if you would like to try other synthetic, i recommend quakerstate HP, my 2nd favorite synthetic after synpower. I've tried amsoil, syntec, pp, m1. M1 being the least favorite

Last edited:
I have 2 Altima's with the 2.5 engine. One is an 07, one an 08. I am presently running the Castrol Edge in the 08 and the engine really seems to like it. Over the winter I ran the Mobil 1 0W-30 and it seemed to do very well. PP also worked well in this one. I drive right at 100 miles a day, mostly rural highway so I put a few miles on my car each year.
The 07 was my car but I gave it to the wife and bought the 08. I still don't know which oil works best in it. It has had royal purple, PP, Mobil 1 and currently has Motor Craft syn blend. I am trying to find an oil that quiets down the brief but noisy start up clatter. So far the Motor Craft seems to be the best. The other odd thing about this one is the clatter seems to get louder at about 4000 miles on the oil then gets better after the oil is changed. I have not noticed this with the 08. Both run very well and don ot use any oil.

5w30 Castrol syntec, for the price is good. 5w30 M1 too.
5w30 RP,Amsoil,Motul 300v, Redline. Those are more pricey but great oils.

Originally Posted By: Andyge
I have run QSQTP in my 97 Sentra I did not like it as much as PP

but if you are going with OCI under 7,000 you would be fine with QSQTP or QSQHP.

Andy

I only run synthetic oil in the winter Dec-Apr.

So I get what ever is on sale.

in my oil stash I have QSQTP and QSQHP

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back