Your experiences with Mobil 1 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotted the 5-qt. jug of Mobil 1 0W-30 on an I-was-desperate run today at Walmart for $23.50 (whereas the quarts are $6 or so). Though I won't be changing my Buick's Castrol Edge 5W-30 until about November, it started me thinking.

I know it's overkill for my application, that I can do just as well and cheaper for 6-month/6K-mile OCIs with other synthetics or even dino. But I plan to change the oil myself this time (I hope!), so the labor cost is zero; and I'm curious to see if it might eke me out a tiny bit more gas mileage in the blink-and-you'll-miss-it winter we have here.

If you've used it, what were your experiences? If your car leaked oil before, did M1 0W-30 leak more, or less, or none? Any gas mileage improvement, even if it was just statistical noise?

I've used it in the Honda and really liked it. I like it because it meets the more demanding GM 4718M spec, but has a very low HT/HS of 2.99 for better fuel economy and overall power. It's a nice oil. All things considered, it's one of the better oils for the $$. I believe most of Mobil 1's 0w oils are PAO/V based.

No leaks no noise no consumption nothing but a great oil that works fine here,great winter flavor also,but i haven't really noticed a killer increase in mileage maybe a little but that's it.

nice oil i run it out to 7-9,000 miles.

I wish we got that oil up here. I'm suprised with how expensive our gas is ($3.70/gallon), it ISN'T.

I've used M1 0W-30 in the '99 Accord the last couple of winters, and I used the old 0W-30 in the van for quite a while in its youth.
The engines were smooth and quiet with this oil, and the rev-happy Honda felt really good with it.
It will go in the Accord again this winter, since I have another jug of it that cost $12.00 after MIR.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
since I have another jug of it that cost $12.00 after MIR.

Thats where most mine came from,haha,wish they would do that again...

Originally Posted By: buster
...but has a very low HT/HS of 2.99 for better fuel economy and overall power... I believe most of Mobil 1's 0w oils are PAO/V based.

Marginally low HT/HS. Keep in mind that most Xw30's run around 3.1. Most Xw20's run around 2.6-2.7. 2.99 ~= 3.0, which is only a bit on the low side for an Xw30. Though it *is* the lowest HT/HS of any Xw30 I know of.

I''ve posted this before. And I can't take credit for discovering it, because someone else, whose post I've been unable to track down, posted the observation here first. But if you are willing to believe that the Japanese products are similar to the US ones, then M1 0w30 AFE is 10% - 20% mineral oil. Compared to M1 5w30, which is 30% - 40% mineral oil.

One might reasonably guess that the remainder of each is group IV or V.

It's good oil. I've no qualms about recommending it for any Xw30 service.

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
didnt like it, engine ran rougher and

And what about the oil, do you think, made it run "rougher"? Did it get lumpy?

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
probably because it was a thick 30weight

Kinematic viscostity of M1 0w30 at 100C is 11.0 cSt, which is pretty middle of the road. HT/HS viscosity is 2.99, which is a little on the low side. But only a little. Most Xw30s run around 3.1.

And concidering that much larger differences in kinematic and HT/HS viscosities make only a *tiny* difference in overall efficiency, does it really seem reasonable that different oils would be "smoother" and "rougher" in a seat-of-the-pants perceptible way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back