Blain's Farm and Fleet 5w-30 by Citgo/Mystik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blains_VOA.jpg

This is a VOA of Blain's Farm and Fleet 5w-30 made by Citgo Mystik as a private label. This oil is very popular at Blain's because they sell it by the pallet load. I suppose it is also found in similar formulations at other farm and ranch stores. Blain's sells this oil in quart and two gallons bottles.

I have used this oil over the winter in both my Cherokee and Liberty. I'm now running it in my Liberty. Chrysler specs 5w-30 for 2006 Liberty at all temperatures. I find it to be an excellent value, especially during a promotion.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Thank you for the report!

but wow it's a thin 30w and not too impressive, kinda weak looking,i wouldn't get overly crazy on the Length of the OCI.

i wouldn't run this oil any longer then 5,000 max.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Then you consider most if not all major 5W-30's as thin?

most are not at the bottom of the scale,look at that cSt number?

M1 5w30 cSt @ 100º C 11.3

M1 5w30 HM cSt @ 100º C 11.48

M1 0w30 cSt @ 100ºC 11.0

all mid and upper 30w

Come on daman..using one mfg to state what?

I do not know what chart you are looking at but the chart I posted shows the majors all around what the oil you questioned as "thin" is at.

Try it again 10.35 puts it right in the MIDDLE of the 11 major 5W-30's tested.

Again, you may label 10.35 as "thin"...So be it...but that makes the majors "thin" as well.

That is all I am stating....

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

BTW

Pennzoil Platinum 10.3

Synpower 10.5

Looks like an average SM/GF-4 dino. It will work perfectly fine for a manufacturer's OCI in a car calling for SM/GF-4 5W-30.

Thanks for doing the test - it's one PQI hasn't done.

Come on daman..using one mfg to state what

I do not know what chart you are looking at but the chart I posted shows the majors all around what the oil you questioned as "thin" is at.

Try it again 10.35 puts it right ion the MIDDLE of the 11 major 5W-30's tested. Again, you may label 10.35 as "thin"...So be it...but that makes the majors "thin" as well.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

Of hand thats good enough to make my point, you think im going to look all them up for you,look at the chart,, from this site here,,your saying it's wrong? and i really could care less you know!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

The oil in question is a dino 5W-30. It's Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt stacks up middle of the road with major brand dino 5W-30's even Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower synthetics

Again it maybe "thin" according to the chart on 5W-30 oil...but so are the vast majority of 5W-30 oils. That does not make it a negative, as you seemed to state in your first response. That is all I am stating.

If the F&F oil is "thin" so are the vast majority of major 5W-30 oils.. So then is it really "thin"?

BTW Mobils 5000 Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt IS tested LOWER than the F&F dino. although Mobil rates it at 10.6..still close to the F&F oil.

I never said it was a negative TL just made the comment is all, if the oil was to shear any at all it would put it into a 20w witch isn't necessary a bad thing either.

Using the range for 5W-30.....9.3-12.5, the F&F oil is close to the middle (on the thinner side) as M1 and closer than M1 HM. By your reasoning labeling 10.35 "thin" M1 HM would be labeled as "thick"

It's all good....! I am done...

Again.....using the site chart, look at that line that goes across, a 11 is a solid 30w.

i hear ya,stick a fork in me.
grin2.gif

Using the range for 5W-30.....9.3-12.5, the F&F oil is close to the middle (on the thinner side) as M1 and closer than M1 HM. By your reasoning labeling 10.35 "thin" M1 HM would be labeled as "thick"

It's all good....! I am done...

+1 to this.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Looks like an average SM/GF-4 dino. It will work perfectly fine for a manufacturer's OCI in a car calling for SM/GF-4 5W-30.

Thanks for doing the test - it's one PQI hasn't done.

addyguy and other posters,

Thanks for your interest. I'm glad to have made the Blain's VOA available. The MSDS is available from Citgo Mystik on request. The base stocks appear to be a blend of Group II and Group III.

The Citgo Mystik help desk was friendly and very helpful. This oil is an excellent value and works for folks like me looking for running dino with reasonable OCIs.

Thanks again for your encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back