Kohler KT17 SAE 30....Maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a 1980 Kohler KT17 without an oil filter fitting on a IH Cub Cadet 782. I am took the breather apart and noticed a little sludge in the top end. Would you recommend Maxlife SAE 30? Or another? The Maxlife SAE straight 30 is readily available at the local tractor supply store. I am a little nervous about cleaning with no filter. Recommendations?

I'm 99.9% sure that the KT series is the post Cast Iron series, maybe 2 series later. I also think the KT17 has a factory defect if it's not the later model updated engine with full pressure lube, the issue was no lube from any slight incline while mowing... this is a known issue, and I may have the wrong thing stuck in my head, however do a google search the KT17 series II is the updated version.

As long as your engine is not equipped with hydraulic type lifter or whatever it is that Kohler deemed needed multi viscosity (5w-30)

All that said, I run either Rotella or Delo HD30 in my Kohler Cast Iron series engines, and also in my B&S Intek 24 hp, I have been inside many of the Kohler Cast Iron series and the HDEO keeps the engines spotless if anything near a routine maintenance schedule is used, I change my oil once a year, and at times I even neglect changing the filter on the B&S.

I'm not sure a filter is even needed on these engines, the Kohler Cast Iron series may have been the best small/medium sized air cooled engine ever built. I have had engines that are original 76 model for instance when I purchased was very dirty, varnished up, sludge etc, however a seafoam treatment ( I guess to thin the oil) and a couple runs of HDEO Delo or Rotella and the insides are super clean with only a very small collection of thick black oil which is not sludge at the center of pan.

Sorry I didn't list it. Yes, it is a series II, but it has no oil filter. There is visible crusty hard sludge in the motor. I would like to clean it out. Would the Rotella or Delo be better than the Maxlife SAE 30? I inherited this tractor and this is my first tractor...don't know much about them, even though it seems like quite an easy motor to work on.

I would run the Rotella or Delo HD 30 if I were you, then forget about it, if the HDEO does not clean what your looking at out try a one time seafoam treatment if you wish, however the varnish is probably not hurting anything. I have seen the Rotella, and Delo clean these small engines up, they also prevent what you are seeing as well. I guess I almost harp on this subject, however as I mentioned in above post these two oils offer a lot more to these small air cooled engines that the multi weight oils do, this is in my opinion, and from teardowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back