UV protection for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Say you have a car that sits out in the sun. Say you wax it with a quality product consistently.

How long can a paint go before it is really "shot"? Can using product - waxes, 303 on rubber, etc. keep a car truly long more or less forever? Can one approach maintenance and lack of degradation similar to parking in a garage, just by using the right products?

Im particularly interested in folks who live in the desert and other extremely sunny spots.

Thanks!

I say no,unfortunately. Mother Nature is a VERY powerful thing! You can hold her off temporarily,but she`ll eventually have her way. Living in the Texas heat and sun will show you just how strong she really is.

It really depends on the products. Some high end manufacturers spend a lot of money to put high quality UV protectors in their sealants. With most of the OTC stuff the UV protection is probably gone after a couple washes.

The paint is the easy part, if you use good sealant (not wax) and re-apply/top-up every 1-2 month, it will last forever.
However, the plastic and rubber trims may not last that long, after 3 years most of it will deteriorate if left untreated, and maybe another 2-3 years if you diligently treat it every 2-4 weeks.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I say no,unfortunately. Mother Nature is a VERY powerful thing! You can hold her off temporarily,but she`ll eventually have her way. Living in the Texas heat and sun will show you just how strong she really is.

Ain't that the truth!

Living in Jersey is an advantage, UV wise.

JHZR2- I live on the beach. It gets very hot here. I have 5 vehicles and 2 boats. 1 car is garaged the others are at the mercy of the outside elements. Here is my formula. Once a year each get a coating of Duragloss 601 polish bonding agent and DG 105 total performance polish. Every time they are washed. I use DG aquawax on them. Fleet is the following-
04 Nissan supercharged Frontier Crew Cab longbed
05 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
06 Dodge Stratus SXT turbo
08 Buick LaCrosse CXS
1999 Grady White 222 Fisherman
2005 Grady White 265 Express
My pride and joy-1968 Plymouth Hemi Roadrunner

Last edited:
Part 2- For all of the rubber and plastic on everything I use 303 religiously. Did not mean to rant on here but my point to you is all of my stuff looks like new. Do some research on the DG products. I have used everything on the planet regardless of price. You wanted some real world info so here it is. The DG products are amazing.
P.S.- This is for Johnny if he sees this post. I was going to post some pics of the Roadrunner for you a few months back. I just got a new digital camera and will be posting some pics in the photo section soon. I think you will like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back