SuperTech 10w-30, 3,106 mi, 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liberty_0512.jpg

This is the second ARX rinse. That is the second OCI after my first ARX cleaning phase. The ARX website describes these instructions in greater detail. I bought the car used at 28k miles under warranty from a Jeep dealer. I succeeded in reducing oil consumption from ~600 miles per quart to ~1,200 miles per quart.

My typical OCI for this and all of my cars is 3,000 miles. I used a Purolator Classic filter. Please note that I used 3 quarts to top off. At the time of the sample there was a bit more than half a quart left on the dip stick.

I asked about the sodium. The Blackstone rep stated that there are no related coolant damage metals (e.g. Lead) in the sample. He also stated that there was no potassium.

I also asked about the dilution effect of adding three quarts over the 3k miles. He explained that wear metals numbers would not be linear. He believed that the sample numbers looked fine.

I knew that I would be adding oil during this OCI. That is why I did not bother with a TBN.

The bottom of my SuperTech jug had "WPP" in logo form.

I am trying to salvage this car. I started the second ARX clean phase after the oil change that took this sample.

Thanks for your interest!

Great report only 3,000 miles but good yea, when did ST have that much Zinc? not crazy about the low Cal with out Boron either.

Originally Posted By: daman
Great report only 3,000 miles but good yea, when did ST have that much Zinc? not crazy about the low Cal with out Boron either.

daman,

I used two ST 5 quart jugs. One full, but purchased last summer, and the other with 3+ quarts left from last summer. The zinc could have been left over from a previous oil change. I had used Citgo/Mystik (Blain's Farm and Fleet) private label, ST and Valvoline High Mileage in previous changes.

The sodium stumps me more...

yea are these jeeps known for leaks? sodium sometimes is a additive but not that much and that often in ST.

yea are these jeeps known for leaks? sodium sometimes is a additive but not that much and that often in ST.

No potassium and no lead, even with the 3 quart top off. The coolant level has held steady from the day I brought it home. I recently had the coolant changed/flushed. The mechanics thought all was OK.

I'll just have to watch it and send in another sample in 3k miles.

Is oil the norm for you or just flush oil?

daman,

I've used a variety of dino oils when on sale. The ARX website recommends ST among the dino oils that will not conflict with the ARX chemistry.

BTW, I always run a 3k or so OCI. A synthetic without an extended run would be a waste of money for me.

Originally Posted By: Six_in_a_row
Is oil the norm for you or just flush oil?

daman,

I've used a variety of dino oils when on sale. The ARX website recommends ST among the dino oils that will not conflict with the ARX chemistry.

BTW, I always run a 3k or so OCI. A synthetic without an extended run would be a waste of money for me.

Thats what i was getting at if you do short OCI ST(according to your report)may be your oil.
55.gif

What happened to this rig?

4 years old, 51k miles, and it's burning about a quart every 1k miles????

Did you know it was in this shape when you bought it? Is there a warranty still in place it can maybe be fixed under?

Good gawd!

Thats odd, a 3.7L isn't known to burn oil, specially that new(06). Poor maintenance on previous owner. You checked the PCV?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
What happened to this rig?

4 years old, 51k miles, and it's burning about a quart every 1k miles????

Did you know it was in this shape when you bought it? Is there a warranty still in place it can maybe be fixed under?

Good gawd!

addyguy,

I've experienced your reactions in spades!

The car was under Jeep warranty, now expired. Old Chrysler (through the Jeep dealer) did oil consumption tests and confirmed ~600 miles per quart. Old Chrysler at the time stated strongly that consumption of 600 miles per quart was acceptable.

There were no signs when I bought the car. I obviously placed too much trust in the original Jeep warranty. My plan was to have the original warranty fix anything that would obviously fail.

There were no signs of smoke, puffing while under load or cold start-up. I asked the dealer during their investigation under warranty about the PCV system. The stated it was fine. Nonetheless, I replaced the PCV valve twice on my own.

Needless to say, I've been profoundly humbled by all of this. The ARX treatment appears to be a low risk way of salvaging the Liberty. I wlll be coming to a decision on the car shortly. I only regret dealing with the Old Chrysler warranty. New Chrysler was no help either.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Thats odd, a 3.7L isn't known to burn oil, specially that new(06). Poor maintenance on previous owner. You checked the PCV?

Anies,

I have to agree that some poor maintenance or even a maintenance accident must have played a roll here.

Yup, I've replace the PCV twice as a precaution. My reply to addyguy describes this in greater detail.

Thanks for drilling down with me on this!

That oil useage is anything but normal. That is a shame for a car that new with that many miles to be useing oil like that. We have trucks at work with 150,000 miles and they dont use any oil between changes at 5000 miles. Just my opinion, but I wouldnt bother with the ARX, I would try using a 15w40 HDEO in like Delo or Mobil delvac and see what it does. That engine oil is very high detergency and very resilent to burn off. It may cure your problem and 15w40 will be fine for winter use, dont let the thinnies sway you.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
That oil useage is anything but normal. That is a shame for a car that new with that many miles to be useing oil like that. We have trucks at work with 150,000 miles and they dont use any oil between changes at 5000 miles. Just my opinion, but I wouldnt bother with the ARX, I would try using a 15w40 HDEO in like Delo or Mobil delvac and see what it does. That engine oil is very high detergency and very resilent to burn off. It may cure your problem and 15w40 will be fine for winter use, dont let the thinnies sway you.

Panzerman,

I have thought about a HDEO, but haven't read much about 15w-40 in the Jeep 3.7l unlike the Jeep 4.0l. I decided to let the ARX treatment play out because there has been some improvement. Perhaps I can use 15w-40 in the spring, summer and fall and 5w-40 during winter after the ARX treatment. I don't see much value in spending time with HDEO 10w-30.

The thinnies haven't really swayed me yet. Perhaps this is another triumph of hope over experience!

Last edited:
I'd try the oil additive 'Restore'.....

Yeah, I know its for old, beat-up engines, but it might just do the trick to seal up the engine a bit more.

It can't hurt!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd try the oil additive 'Restore'.....

Yeah, I know its for old, beat-up engines, but it might just do the trick to seal up the engine a bit more.

It can't hurt!

addyguy,

I agree, I probably won't hurt. The only shortcoming is that I may run out of patience by then!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Last edited:
Just dump a can into your current fill of oil, and see how it goes - it should work fairly quickly. Use it for a couple of oil changes, and it might make a noticeable difference!

Just a tought, but after your ARX treatment you might want to try a High Milage formula. It worked wonders on my wifes malibu. It cut the consumption in half. was a full qt every 2k now barely low at 4k oci.

Originally Posted By: JonnySaab
Just a tought, but after your ARX treatment you might want to try a High Milage formula. It worked wonders on my wifes malibu. It cut the consumption in half. was a full qt every 2k now barely low at 4k oci.

JohnnySaab,

I had a bit of success with Valvoline 10w-30 Maxlife on a trip last spring before the ARX treatments. Instead of ~600 miles per quart with the Jeep specified dino 5w-30, I got ~800. By then the warranty expired and any possibility of an accommodation with Chrysler for a fix ended too.

I have six quarts of Maxlife I can use with the Liberty if I still have any patience left by then.

My wife and I are about to drive out east to visit our son and the trip will put on some hot, highway miles which is supposed to help the ARX cleaning phase. I had a thread last year about ARX and my Liberty. I will post my results there as the ARX rinse/clean cycles end.

I'm glad you had a such an improvement with your wife's Malibu!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Well at least if you are doing 3K OCI you can change oil viscosity with the seasons. 20w50 in the summertime and 15w40 in the fall/spring?

What about straight 30wt HDEO, perhaps? Shell has Rotella T1 30WT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back