5W-20 or 5W-30 for 1997 Honda Civic EX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just picked up a cheap 1997 Civic EX for my son to drive while we sort out some problems with the 99 Subaru. This is the first Honda in my fleet, so I have a lot to learn...

The Civic has a newer engine in it, from a '98 according to the PO. 175K miles on the car, 114K on the engine. Runs fine, needs a rear wheel bearing and front brake pads, no other pressing issues. Timing belt, clutch, etc where done when the engine was installed 60k miles ago.

The owner's manual and fill cap call for 5w-30. A receipt from a local shop shows they filled with 5w-20 semi-synthetic one month ago.

I'm not worried about the 5w-20 doing any damage, but wondering if Honda back-spec'd 5W-20 for this engine. If yes, we'll stick with that, otherwise go to 5W-30 on the next OCI.

There is a bit of valve train noise (very light clatter). Not sure if that's the thinner oil, or if it's time for valve adjustment, or "they all do that".

What say the experts?

Since it is new to you, a valve adjustment could not hurt (other than the pocket book or your time). I'd go with that first for possible source of "noise".

All OHC motors make slight noise. I doubt that 5w-20 is going to make any more or less than 5w-30.

Personally I'd use either and get down the road. Your engine is VERY easy on any oil. Whatever API-SM oil you'd like to run will work great.

Any idea on why the first motor lasted only 114k?

Take care, bill

Our 1998 Civic EX consumed a bunch of 5w20 oil and lost gas mileage , when I switched back to 10w30 the consumption went away and gas mileage went up. At the time the engine only had 70K miles so its not like the engine had a lot of miles.

I would stick with a 30 Wt oil.

Thanks for all the comments!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Any idea on why the first motor lasted only 114k?

From the PO's description, it threw a rod a few months after he bought it.

Originally Posted By: Bigsyke

D16y8, 5w20 is now spec'ed

Thanks, that's what I kinda thought. We'll run it on the current fill of 5w20, maybe try 5w30 if consumption is high.

re: the valve noise, I'll check the valve lash when I get around to it.

What I thought was a bad rear wheel bearing (wub-wub noise and vibration) wasn't. The left rear tire isn't even close to being round! The wheel spins smooth and quiet when it's up off the ground. We'll put on new tires all around ASAP.

I ran PYB 5W-30 in my 1999 Honda Civic and had good luck with it. I just sold it last year

Andy

Honda 1.6's from this era tended to burn a lot of oil, from what I've seen. I'd stick to 5W-30 and keep a close eye on consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back