Oil for 2006 Honda Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:

...My personal opinion only: Synthetic oils do not necessairly constitute a longer drain interval. There are other factors that will determine oil life other than the added oxidation resistance, higher TBN, etc in synthetic oil. For example, fuel contamination from short trips due to the engine rarely seeing normal operating temperature may justify the need for a shorter drain interval...

I've been doing regular oil analysis on my '02 Acura K20A3 engine since the factory fill, and I don't find that the synthetics I've tried (M1 0w-30, M1 5w-30, M1 0w-20, and Synergyn 0w-20) last longer than Havoline 5w-20 dino or Valvoline Durablend. Just the opposite.

The Critic makes some excellent points, especially from such a young lad.
grin.gif

I think RL 5w-20 is the best "high end" choice if you drive it hard. A lot of other oils would get the job done also.

I just put RL 5w-20 in my Honda which only has 165hp, however, I do drive it hard. I think the RL 5w-20 gives you the best of both worlds. Low viscosity but the protection of a 30wt oil with it's HT/HS of 3.3.

*I will test the RL at 12k miles or possibly even 15k.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
I've been doing regular oil analysis on my '02 Acura K20A3 engine since the factory fill, and I don't find that the synthetics I've tried (M1 0w-30, M1 5w-30, M1 0w-20, and Synergyn 0w-20) last longer than Havoline 5w-20 dino or Valvoline Durablend. Just the opposite.

I think one has to be careful when making sweeping generalizations. Some synthetics aren't necessarily built for extended OCIs. One also has to be careful when using single use UOAs to draw conclusions. But I will agree that use of a synthetic doesn't necessarily guarantee a successful extended OCI.

Thanks Mike!
A few things. I now do my own oil changes thanks to this site. And the recomended oil is 5w-30.

quote:

PS- Consider switching your transmission lube to either Redline MTL, SF MTL-P, or Amsoil MTF at the first oil change. Jiffy Lube or equivalent usually charges less than $30 for labor if you bring the fluid. [/QB]

a lot of honda enthusiasts recommend staying away from synthetic transmission fluids since they are too "slick" to enable the syncros to operate normally, and cause grinding?

quote:

Originally posted by EVOL:

quote:

PS- Consider switching your transmission lube to either Redline MTL, SF MTL-P, or Amsoil MTF at the first oil change. Jiffy Lube or equivalent usually charges less than $30 for labor if you bring the fluid.
a lot of honda enthusiasts recommend staying away from synthetic transmission fluids since they are too "slick" to enable the syncros to operate normally, and cause grinding? [/QB]

I have heard tons of good stuff about gm syncromesh fluid in honda's. Any opions on that stuff?

quote:

quote:

PS- Consider switching your transmission lube to either Redline MTL, SF MTL-P, or Amsoil MTF at the first oil change. Jiffy Lube or equivalent usually charges less than $30 for labor if you bring the fluid.
a lot of honda enthusiasts recommend staying away from synthetic transmission fluids since they are too "slick" to enable the syncros to operate normally, and cause grinding? [/QB]

I ran Red Line MTL for 85k on my '03 civic, and now im using Specialty Formulations MTL-P which says it has a group IV/V base, and no problems here. "Too slick" doesnt cut it for me, need some better reasoning than that.

quote:

Originally posted by Tennisjon2002:

quote:

quote:

a lot of honda enthusiasts recommend staying away from synthetic transmission fluids since they are too "slick" to enable the syncros to operate normally, and cause grinding?
I have heard tons of good stuff about gm syncromesh fluid in honda's. Any opions on that stuff? [/QB]

after some time, my friends integra type r started the notorious 3rd gear grind. he then tried the GM syncromesh friction modified (different from the regular one to those who don't know), it and took away his 3rd gear grind. it did the same for me; i had a slight 3rd gear grind in my type r transmission in my integra GSR, and it cured it.

i believe that not only is it superior to honda MTF, honda MTF "shears" down in weight overtime, but should be fine if you change it out with EVERY oil change (i.e. 3-5k)

GM syncromesh is like 11 bucks a quart, but if it can enable a syncro not to grind in 3rd when it previously had with the OEM MTF, i think it's well worth it.

edit: i am almost certain that honda MTF is nothing but 5w30 or 10w30 motor oil with some additives, and i BELIEVE the GM syncromesh friction modified is too, but just with a better attitive package. i'm not 100 percent certain, though.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:

quote:

quote:

I ran Red Line MTL for 85k on my '03 civic, and now im using Specialty Formulations MTL-P which says it has a group IV/V base, and no problems here. "Too slick" doesnt cut it for me, need some better reasoning than that. [/QB]

Ahh, I think it was when other people tried straight synthetic motor oil in their Honda transmissions instead of Redline. This has always scared me to try a synthetic MTF in my transmission, since rebuilding transmissions is by no means cheap
wink.gif

It seems that you and others have had good results from Redline MTF, so I might give it a shot. What turned you onto the Specialty Formulations MTF or MTL-P? How do you like it comparing to the Redline MTL?

quote:

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:
And Hondas love a Wix/Napa Gold filter...

Mine REALLY love the OEM "PCX" Toyo Roki oil filter specifically made for the S2000.

The construction is night and day above the OEM "PLM" Filtech made filter and is all I'll use on my two CRX's.

quote:

I have heard tons of good stuff about gm syncromesh fluid in honda's. Any opions on that stuff?

If you do a search on honda-tech and s2ki.com (an S2000 devoted online discussion community) you will find many that praise the GMSFM (GM Synchromesh Friction Modified) but you will find more that denounce it. It has caused transmission issues with a number of S2000 trannys and I prefer not to use it. It seems to work very well for the first 5,000 miles and then it degrades at an extremely fast rate.

I would suggest sticking with Honda MTF.

After 7k with Honda fill I went with MTL in my 5-sp RSX. Nice, will do it again. I wonder how GC would be???

Honestly I havent noticed much difference between RL MTL and SF MTL-P, theyre both very smooth when compared to Honda MTF. Although, i suppose it could all just be in my head
dunno.gif

I prefer to use MTL or MTL-P over honda because i think they will be much more shear stable and have better cold weather shifting.

quote:

Originally posted by biodiesel00:

quote:

If you do a search on honda-tech and s2ki.com (an S2000 devoted online discussion community) you will find many that praise the GMSFM (GM Synchromesh Friction Modified) but you will find more that denounce it. It has caused transmission issues with a number of S2000 trannys and I prefer not to use it. It seems to work very well for the first 5,000 miles and then it degrades at an extremely fast rate.

I would suggest sticking with Honda MTF.

Honda MTF shears down verrrry fast. It's fine, but IMO only for 3k.

quote:

I have a new 2006 Honda Civic Si with the K20 engine. I am trying to decide what oil and filter to use when I get to the oil change time. The Si is a performance oriented car with an 8000 rpm redline. It also has the oil monitor and I would like to use that feature if possible. I drive my car hard, mostly city miles. I live in NC so the climate is fairly mild.
I am thinking I should go Supertech Synthetic with a supertech filter and change on time/alittle over the oil monitor system (probably 6K miles or so). I think this is a good mix between interval time/cost/protection etc. Does this sound good or what else would you recomend? Should I use a Honda Filter instead? I will probably do a blackstone on it sometime.

My Acura GS-R has a redline of 8100 rpms. I've never used anything but conventional 5W-30 oil in it (Castrol GTX for most of the miles) with 3750 mi OCIs.

You'll be fine with conventional oil for city driving and following the oil monitor. As far as the oil filter, I've used both Honda and SuperTech filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back