Gas treatment in 2-stroke engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put gas treatment in my fuel in my 2 gallon fuel jug for my 4-stroke lawnmowers and I need to make 1/2 gallon of 2-stroke oil/gas mix for my trimmer. Is it ok if I use my gas treatment/gasoline mix?

I use a mixture of FP60 and Schaeffer's Neutra in my 2 cycle fuel and straight gasoline for my outdoor power equipment and my OPE runs like a champ. I've stored fuel up to two years without a problem and the gas smells as fresh as the day I pumped it.

With ethanol now the norm, I would be afraid to store any fuel without some kind of stabilizer or conditioner added.

I Treat all the gas in a 15 gallon container with Seafoam or MMO to stabilize it while in storage. I use this gas in 4 cycle equipment and I also draw from this container when I need to make my 2cycle mix at the oil's recommended ratio. No problems in 20 years.

I have never had carbon buildup in 2cycle equipment, but that may be due to using quality oil and correct carb settings.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I put gas treatment in my fuel in my 2 gallon fuel jug for my 4-stroke lawnmowers and I need to make 1/2 gallon of 2-stroke oil/gas mix for my trimmer. Is it ok if I use my gas treatment/gasoline mix?

How much fuel treatment did you put in the original 2 gallon container?

I regularly add Seafoam to my straight gasoline then use it to mix two stroke fuel. No bid deal. You'd have to put a lot, I mean like around a quart of fuel treatment into two gallons of fuel to have any effect on a two cycle engine. Even then, I doubt that it would have any detrimental effects.

My Echo equipment have approx. 10 oz. fuel tanks. Once a year I'll run an oz. of Seafoam in with a tank of fuel. Never had a problem. That's a 10% mix of fuel treatment to fuel. If your mix is less than that, I certainly wouldn't be sweating it.

I've never read nor heard of a fuel treatment causing problems if used anywhere near it recommended proportions.

I've read of some people having problems with Stabil going bad and had a half bottle or so of it change colour and go into an almost jelly state once. Hence the use of Seafoam now.

most high quality oem(husqvarna, etc) oil has stabilizer right in their little jug. and since your not affecting the ratio at all (way your doing it) it would not be a problem what-so-ever

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Most brands you will be OK, but others not. Ask the manufacturer of your fuel treatment.

What brand? What type? (stabilizer, cleaner, booster, UCL?)

Gumout complete fuel system cleaner.

Gumout should be okay. I made the mistake of using Techron and was told it was not recommended for 2-stroke air cooled engines. Did not seem to harm them. I have used Sta-bil, seafoam, and am going to try mmo. My main concern nowdays is E10 gas dissolving the carburetor gaskets on OPE.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back