RTV sealant compatible with synthetic gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this on the Amsoil site. I recently changed my rear diff oil to Severe Gear 75W-90, and used Permatex red RTV (high temp) to seal it, will this be a problem?

[6] 1988-99 models
Do not use synthetic lubricant in axles using RTV sealant.
Synthetic lubricant will chemically attack RTV sealant.

American Axle has only approved the use of Synthetic
Lubricant 75W-90 GM part no. 12378261, as follows:
a. All 8.6 inch rear axles are compatible.
b. All 9.5 inch rear axles built before mid-February 1998
(RTV sealant used to seal cover pan) are not compatible
c. All 9.5 inch rear axles built after mid-February 1998
(equipped with cover pan & gasket) are compatible.
d. All 10.5 inch rear axles built prior to March 3, 1999 are
compatible if axle shafthub RTV sealer is replaced with GM
gasket part no. 327739.

Amsoil 92 S10

Last edited:
Ive been using black since Ive been doing diffys and have not had a leak yet. Though I learned from the other thread it isnt the correct application if you are going to go straight to torquing it down. Grey is for that.
Oh yeah, I have Amsoil SVT in my 8.8 with black. Leak free.

Last edited:
KB - this has been discussed a few times over the years hear at BITOG. Maybe a good test for the "new" BITOG googlelator.

It's actually from a GM TSB, Amsoil is just passing it on. I believe it originally came from or GM working with American Axle. It stems from the type of RTV American Axle used. I don't think it applies at all to Amsoil and any other RTV.

I have used bunches of RTVs and sealants.
Avoid the clear or translucent blue stuff for car use [maybe windows].

This does not mean the Permatex Ultra blue, which is great!

Get a premium product , thoroughly clean the substrate, and give it plenty of cure time before contact with any oil.

It won't leak.

I have had no problems with using Ultra Black RTV on a diff filled with Royal Purple...which is good because that [censored] is too expensive to leak out.

I'm using Valvoline synthetic gear lube in the front and rear axles on the Jeep with Permatex Ultra Copper RTV sealing the diff covers and they have never leaked.

If you are worried about leaks, just get yourself a diff cover gasket and avoid RTV altogether. I'm sure Felpro, ROL, Cometic, Mr Gasket, etc make one for your application. If nobody makes one, just get yourself gasket material and make your own-easy to do using the diff cover as a template.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back