Explorer Sport or Xterra? Opinions Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am hoping to get some opinions on two SUV's I am looking at. One is a Ford Explorer Sport and the other is a Nissan Xterra. I am hoping people that have had experience with one or the other can chime in and list the pros and cons of that specific SUV.

2000 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door)
- 4.0L 6 cylinder
- 4x4
- 86,000 miles
- Sticker = $4,900

2002 Nissan Xterra SE (4 doors)
- 3.3L 6 cylinder
- 4x4
- 93,000 miles
- Sticker = $6,900

I hear some Explorers can be problematic, but the 4.0L SOHC motor is a proven motor and and combined with 4WD and short wheel base will be great for my needs.

Is it worth the extra cash for a newer, better built (quality wise), and more features SUV? I did not find too much wrong with Xterras.

I'm hoping for someone to chime in...

Thanks for your time!

The 3.3L is a reliable engine, but gutless unless you get the super charged 210 hp. Low end torgue is good on both the N/A and S/C but struggles to get out of its own way. I used to have one, and it was a fun ride, but a pig on gas even with a N/A 180hp 04.

The Xterra will need a timing belt change at purchase, relatively easy to do yourself with some time. Shocks are past due(OEM last 25k), so pick up Bilsteins. Other than that the truck can go another 100k easy with the belt change.

So long as your not looking for a beast of an engine but a reliable ride that will get you where you need to go. Check ClubXterra.org out regarding the X, you'll pick up a lot of info.

Last edited:
Other than being American made there's honestly not a lot good I can think of regarding the "Exploder"s-wiring problems, premature rust, IMHO weak rear suspensions that make them useless for towing (& contributed to the rollover problems)-the 2 extra doors would be a big plus too.

Id say xterra also. Good looking car, and pretty tough, had a customer come in with a 03 for tuneup 150k on original plugs . I was amazed car ran fine

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Hey guys,

I am hoping to get some opinions on two SUV's I am looking at. One is a Ford Explorer Sport and the other is a Nissan Xterra. I am hoping people that have had experience with one or the other can chime in and list the pros and cons of that specific SUV.

2000 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door)
- 4.0L 6 cylinder
- 4x4
- 86,000 miles
- Sticker = $4,900

2002 Nissan Xterra SE (4 doors)
- 3.3L 6 cylinder
- 4x4
- 93,000 miles
- Sticker = $6,900

I hear some Explorers can be problematic, but the 4.0L SOHC motor is a proven motor and and combined with 4WD and short wheel base will be great for my needs.

Is it worth the extra cash for a newer, better built (quality wise), and more features SUV? I did not find too much wrong with Xterras.

I'm hoping for someone to chime in...

Thanks for your time!

Really quick, just one thing to think about is that the Xterra, thought it is a pretty good truck is going to be a more expensive vehicle to maintain than the Explorer. First thing also is that the 3.3 is a Timing Belt engine, and at 93k you are pretty [censored] close to needing to change the timing belt, so be sure to figure in the cost of that when buying your truck. They seem to go through distrubotrs pretty commonly. But other than that, they seem pretty reliable for a basic no thrills truck. Also, parts are a little more expensive and harder to come by than the Explorer.

And as far as features, Xterras are pretty basic 4x4's, nothing realy fancy with them. But again, I don't see too many of them come in for service (not a ton of them out there) but they usually don't have a ton of problems either.

As far as power, the Supercharged engine (if you can find one) really is nothing to write home about. It does have a little more power than the na 3.3l, but it is by no means a powerful engine.

If it came down to it, if you can find a well maintained Xterra that is good shape, it will prob be a more reliable better truck for the long haul.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked into an XJ (Jeep Cherokee, box style, not grand) ?? They are a little smaller, but I think they are a very reliable and proven 4x4. Not to mention the 4.0l engines are built like tanks, and the Aisin auto transmissions are indestructible.

Skip the sport and see if you can find a Limited with the 5.0L V8. They are EXCELLENT. Bulletproof engine.

Having OWNED a 1997 Explorer (4.0L OHV) for ~150,000Km that currently has 320,000Km on it:

1. I never had ANY problems with the wiring.
2. The rear shackles needed to be replaced last year
3. The springs and shocks (my sister is cheap) are still original
4. It needed a transfer case at 250,000Km due to being used excessively for towing more than it was rated for.... Like 7,000lb wooden boats.

It was arguably the best vehicle I've ever owned. Never left me stranded, would drive though [censored] and back (over a foot of snow on New Brunswick roads going to school) and CONTINUES to be a reliable workhorse for my sister who has had it for the past 5 years now.

It never got good fuel mileage. EVER. But it was a good truck. I have ZERO complaints about it.

Hers was the inspiration for her boyfriend to purchase a '97 Limited 5.0L. It has been an EXCELLENT truck as well. It currently has an issue with the HVAC control, but that's the only issue he's had with it.

Given the price bracket you are working with, you should be able to find a 2002 or earlier Limited with the 5.0L for the same, or less than the Xterra.

I have owned several 4.0's in rangers and they are in my opinion by far the best engine in these trucks. I'm not up to date on the 2008, and later however the 4.0 does not really get any worse mileage than the smaller v-6's maybe 1-2 mpg depending on how you drive, but gobs more power if needed. My 4wd ranger got 24mpg on interstate driving 65 one time, however I used it around town, working about 10 miles from home, best truck I have ever owned in my life, and even my mama fussed at me when I got rid of it. If I had that truck back, and all the money I have blown on pure junk since then I would be in much better shape, and I'm sure it would still be running.

Oil change was easy on it, filter hung straight down on passenger side, motor was nothing to maintain. However I would jump up to a v-8 as well as mentioned in above post, as the 5.0 is also a proven engine, and I don't think mileage is going to suffer when your lugging so much weight around.

Distributors on the Xterra are usually every 60-100k. They are not sludgers, I usually change PCV every 30k as habit on most vehicles.

The Explorer is a great truck, but you need to know what you are getting. I have owned mine for 7 years, and can say it is the only vehicle I have ever owned that I still like as much as when I bought it. I handles very well and is a solid truck. Parts are cheap and plentiful, new or used, and the truck is easy to work on. Wring issues are minor. The engines will last a long time, but the SOHC engine does have issues with the guides and tensioners. Maybe the truck you want has had them done already. If not, the motor needs to come out to get at the chain that drives the right side camshaft. The OHV and the V8 are both very good engines. The V8 has no issues and will last 200K min. The V8 also comes with a better transmission, so if you are looking to tow any amount avoid the V6, The V8 only comes in all wheel drive and does not have the 2 speed transfer case like the V6 has. The 2 door model has single leaf springs on the rear, and are prone to sagging. You can get a set of used springs from a 4 door for cheap. Ford changed to multileaf, but I forget what year. I don't think Explorers rust any more than anything else. I solved rusting on vehicles years ago, so its not an issue for me anyway.

I am sold on leather interior, and would reccomend that as well if your looking around.

Last edited:
I have looked into Cherokees. One thing I do not like about them is the solid front axle. IFS rides much better in my opinion.

Wow, I am actually suprised majority say the Xterra. This is interesting...

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
I have looked into Cherokees. One thing I do not like about them is the solid front axle. IFS rides much better in my opinion.

But a solid front axle is a more durable system off-road. The articulated IFS steering linkage can wear out quicker in hard off-roading, especially if lifted.
Quote:

Wow, I am actually suprised majority say the Xterra. This is interesting...
I'm not surprised. I bought a new 2000 Xterra and drove it for 50k miles. It's basically an industrial design exercise sitting on top of the pickup truck's proven chassis and drive train, but in the end is still a well-made, comfortable and rattle-free vehicle.

I agree on the comments with the explorer - just know what you are getting. I own a '97 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC in it. Timing chain rattle is a known issue with these motors. I have not had to redo the guides on mine and I have 155,000 miles on it now. I have redone the intake manifold gaskets twice along with the tensioner and that's been enough. Your mileage may vary. A 2000 would still be prone to that issue.

No more wiring issues or rust than any other car I've ever owned (probably less issues than my '99 F150 in that regard, but the F150 has 30,000+ more miles on it).

I do have my sights on replacing the rear springs - I've got the "gangster lean" to the drivers side going at the moment, but its a cheap fix for about $300 for springs and hardware.

I'd go for the Explorer - it's older, and there are more of them around, so the chance to bargain down the price is better. You could probably get it for less than $4k, which puts it WAY ahead of a 2-year newer XTerra.

Does the Explorer you're looking at even have the SOHC engine? The Explorer was offered with BOTH the OHV (pushrod) and the SOHC until 2001. If the SOHC gets the updated parts installed, it is a very reliable engine. I'm confident I will get at least 200k out of mine without issues. I don't really know much about Xterra's so I can't really recommend or not recommend them, but I never hesitate to recommend an Explorer.

The Explorer does have the 4.0L SOHC engine.

I really do not like the fact that I will have to dump money into the Xterra for the timing belt. Does it have to be done right away? Will it give any warning signs when its about to go or will it just go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back