Mercedes-Benz 228.31 oil OK for '09 Sprinter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: badnews
What I'm really saying is the laws of chemistry make some of those specs mutually exclusive.

Charlie

A lot of the TBN in this oil is antimony , a thing few others have due to expense - I am not a expert in oil chemistry construction but I can read specs and see what is what . And what some have and others don't .

The boiling point of Sb2O3 is 1425C., far above exhaust gas temps. Therefore, antimony, a metalloid, is an ash producer.
Plus, it's pretty far to the right on the periodic table so I don't think its' organic salts would make such good alkalinizing agents. IMHO Sb is used mainly for antiwear.

Charlie

Yeah, all references to antimony-based additives I've read about are for anti-wear, not detergency. Shaeffer SUPREME 9000 SAE 5W-40 has 1.0% ash, as stated in the PDS here: http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9000.pdf
That's too high to meet MB 229.51 spec.

MB MED GRADE MULT GAS OIL--229,3, .31
DIESEL=228.2 .3/.31

MB BEST-GAS--229.5/.51
DIESEL 228.5/.51

Originally Posted By: blakegeo
MB MED GRADE MULT GAS OIL--229,3, .31
DIESEL=228.2 .3/.31

MB BEST-GAS--229.5/.51
DIESEL 228.5/.51

Based upon what?!?

HD Diesel oils are the 228.x series, NOT smaller diesel engines.

229.x likely pertains to the sprinter LD diesel engine. You need the OM6xx.xxx code for the engine, and then verify via the bevo site. Or check the OM.

If there is a DPF, there needs to be a .x1 oil used.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
That's an impressive list, and many, many options for recognizable brands here in the States. I was not aware that so many brands/grades now meet the MB spec.

Thanks, Charlie!

Most HDEO brands have always met the MB 228.x spec.

Originally Posted By: JAG
What I'm really saying is the laws of chemistry make some of those specs mutually exclusive.

Charlie

A lot of the TBN in this oil is antimony , a thing few others have due to expense - I am not a expert in oil chemistry construction but I can read specs and see what is what . And what some have and others don't .

The boiling point of Sb2O3 is 1425C., far above exhaust gas temps. Therefore, antimony, a metalloid, is an ash producer.
Plus, it's pretty far to the right on the periodic table so I don't think its' organic salts would make such good alkalinizing agents. IMHO Sb is used mainly for antiwear.

Charlie

Yeah, all references to antimony-based additives I've read about are for anti-wear, not detergency. Shaeffer SUPREME 9000 SAE 5W-40 has 1.0% ash, as stated in the PDS here: http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9000.pdf
That's too high to meet MB 229.51 spec.

Well many of the MBenz approved 229.51 oils have an ash rating of 1.2 to 1.4 so if you have problems with that take it up with MBenz.

Plus you have seemed to loose yourself in the SAPS department issue and forgot that a lot of the MBenz approval has to do with volatility and HTHS ratings .

Schaeffer's is great oil for the Benz engine per their chemists. That is more than enough for me .
Will have a UOA soon 10,000 mileas on it now.

Last edited:
Well many of the MBenz approved 229.51 oils have an ash rating of 1.2 to 1.4 so if you have problems with that take it up with MBenz.
I looked at the list and I couldn't find any with ash that high.

Plus you have seemed to loose yourself in the SAPS department issue and forgot that a lot of the MBenz approval has to do with volatility and HTHS ratings.
It seems that way because I haven't brought those properties up with you but I talk about them very often in other threads. I was concerned about your position on ash so that's what I've focused on in your threads. I might as well say no more.

Schaeffer's is great oil for the Benz engine per their chemists. That is more than enough for me .
Will have a UOA soon 10,000 mileas on it now.
I hope it works out well in the end.

Me also , if not me and Schaeffer's will be at odds

Also , ran the Rotella T6 and was amazed at the oil loss after just a few hundred miles ( about 1 quart and the DPF cleaner went on ) . Wondered why that had happened and if it had anything at all to do with the turbo ?

Changed it out and went to the Schaeffers T9000 and had zero oil loss after 9,000 miles ( well almost zero figure it was 1/10 to 1/8 of a quart )

just would like to say thanks for all the help in this to you and others

While it may seem to others we are arguing to me it is hashing out the facts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back