BOLENS 13.5 H.P. riding lawn mower ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
from LOEWS . Anyone have this ? If so , what has been your experience with it ?

Last edited:
It's an MTD product. Probably with the transmatic shift on the go trans and a 38"-42" deck. If you've got nice easy mowing it should be fine for you. I've not had good luck with the transmatic (belt/variator) transaxle.

Joel

There's really not a whole lot of moving parts on this style lawn tractor powertrain. The MTD Transmatic is just two belts. One from the engine to the variator pulley, then one from the variator to the transaxle. The transaxle is noting more than a grease filled differential. The whole deck is driven by one belt basically from the engine pulley to the blade spindles. The deck is engaged when you lower it & it swings rearward to tension the belt. The transmatic will start to slip when either of the belts stretch or wear. The slide bushing/bearing in the center (moveable) sheave of the variator pulley is also prone to locking up. You'll loose all but one speed when that happens. If you keep the machine out of the elements and don't soak it with a hose or do a gazillion forward/reverse maneuvers, it will hold up well for you.

Joel

though used for years, a variator/transaxel is a very "cheap" setup. Ok for small/non hilly yard, when used correctly. No pulling a wagon loaded with wood, or anything like that, if you want it to last at all.....strickly a "mowing Machiene"

Figures . This comes with a free metal pull cart . Planned on using it to haul some wood , stones , etc.. This frame ain't what it used to be . Thanks for the input .

I think you will be ok to pull a small tow behind cart of wood.
My grandmother had a similar tractor, we pulled carts of wood all the time and didn't have any problems. It may just wear the belts a little sooner. Just keep your loads reasonable size and don't pile it to the sky!

Good to see
thumbsup2.gif

I think all of Lowes lawn tractors come with a free dump cart. Just got a Husqvarna from them this past weekend..

I believe the free cart ended TUESDAY . We have to go back and get the cart on FRIDAY since none were available . We got 10% off as well and 1 year with 0% financing with LOWES card . The cart itself costs $130 if I remember correctly . Put the BOLENS to work earlier today . It cut grass very well and used not quite 1/2 a tank to mow about 1 acre . Will be ordering the wheel kit for the deck since the yard is full of dips . The kit cost about $71 with tax and the shipping from MTD . Thing is we gained a riding mower and may have lost our beloved 4.0 H.P. CRAFTSMAN Eager 1 with the TECUMSEH engine of 14 years today
frown.gif
. If so , will give it a proper send off to that tall , plush , green field of grass in the sky
34.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: odie
... Will be ordering the wheel kit for the deck since the yard is full of dips . The kit cost about $71 with tax and the shipping from MTD..

Very good plan! Set the deck gauge wheels so they only hit on high spots. You'll get a ton more life out of the deck, belts and tractor if you don't let that deck bounce around on the ground. In regards to pulling a cart. You should have no problem. If it gets too heavy the transmatic will just slip. There is an adjustment procedure that's pretty easy to do once the belts stretch a bit and you start noticing slippage.

Joel

false alarm on the SEARS Eager 1 . Decided to start up . LOWES has extended the free cart until the 10th of this month .

Last year my 16 year old MTD 12hp B&S 38" tractor finally died. It lost compression. I would mow 3hrs/week 1ac of flat grass a week. Never had a problem with it.

Don't forget to drain the gas at the end of the cutting season and then run until the engine uses all of the gas in the carb. Or at least double dose with Sta-Bil the last gas you put in at the end of the cutting season, "WHEN THE GAS IS STILL FRESH" just after you bought it, NOT A MONTH LATER when the gas is already too old.

The one my grandmother had would not run in the spring until we drained all the stale gas from the tank and carb.

We also had to replace a belt on it once, but it was several years old before that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back