XADO cermet update

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thank you to hate2work and TurboJim for their info on the last post about this.

Im 200 miles away from reaching the first 600 miles with the new oil, Castrol GTX 15w50, treated with this stuff.

I used XADO and a thicker oil because the last oil change lasted 600 miles from max to minimum oil level with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, a group III oil sold as Penzzoil Ultra in the US.

XADO is the only "cermet" type product available here in Portugal so i decided to give it a go.
I´ll check the oil level at 600 miles, compare, and will then try to reach the 1800 miles the dealer told me to drive, that is, if the GTX manages to last that long..
I'll post whatever results i manage to achieve then.

Tuga, Ive try one brand of this stuff and have been real interested in these treatments. I have done a bunch of homework on them. One thing the different brands seem to have in common is they work best in degraded & lighter weight oils. (Molly interfere with the process.) They work by fiction so the more friction the faster they work. Don't add them to new oil.

One company says to add it to oil them has 500 mile on it. So that the detergent ...
Another company says to add it to oil just before your oil change point.

Thank you for your input, Roland.
Here's the scenario:

I own a 1.4 VW engine (AUB code - 101bhp) bought with 87k miles on it.
It takes 3.38 quarts of oil to fill the engine.

Not knowing this car history, i did a flush using pro german brand SONAX and changed the oil with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.
(sold in US as Penzoil Ultra)
I used this oil mainly because its VW50200/503.01 grade and was not expecting oil consumption..

But it went thru around 1 quart of oil in about 600 miles..
Manual states that up to 0,5 quart oil consumption is considered normal..
But that does not explain why quite a lot of other owners are able to go up to 9.000 miles with NO oil consumption.

Took it to a local dealer, no oil leaks detected, compression test was 14,5 - 14,5 - 16 - 16, even higher than the 10,5 VW says it should be, so im not thinking piston rings problem.

Engine revs up fine, plenty of power, no smoke that i can see, no oil smell..

Also considering seals that need cleaning/conditioning..

Decided to try XADO first, see how long will the oil last this time , and then give Auto-RX a go..
So i followed XADO's instructions, wich stated an engine flush with their "Vitaflush" followed by spanking new oil and then take the full treatment, considered completed after 1800 miles..

Time will tell.. and so will i since i'll be posting the results here
12.gif

I know a member here who claims this Cermet Product really works, seems it is great at removing SLUDGE.
21.gif

Good to know that c3po, believe me.

I've read all the posts i could find about Xado, even got really excited with Hethaerto's experience until he suddenly posted it did not worked for him after all.

Also looked at jonny-b impressive list of additives he tried, XADO included, although i suspect with less then ideal results..

I'm just hoping that, after paying 76,90 Euros for this stuff, it will do some good..

If i manage to be able to do 3k miles OCI's after this, without the constant need to top up, i'll be more than happy!

If not, my only option will be to continue using the thickest/less expensive oil i'm able to find in my area, and so far it's Castrol GTX 15w50, way below VW spec, but there is no point in buying high quality synthetic oil just to see it gone after 600 miles.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Originally Posted By: TugaSaudade
Good to know that c3po, believe me

This user told me that Cermet did a much better job than auto-rx at removing SLUDGE.

From the history i could find. It seems that Johnny B had the most experience with this type products. He liked both CerMet and RVS but seemed to have had better experience with RVS.

I could not find any positive reviews for Xado but with so many variables who knows.

The product i used Fusion Tech Nano Maxx had good results but i think RVS may work better. my truck had bad oil consumption issue also. Like you my engine did not smoke at all but i had a plug that foul often. I believe mine is a cracked head, it consumed water also Blue Devil and Murroso worked for the water and Nano maxx worked well for the oil issue. i did not have the money for a engine change then but now i do. Now the engine runs so good i cant justify replacing it. it seems to still be getting better. you can hardly tell that my V8 is even running. My V6 villager not as big of a difference, it ran good from the get go.

Here some text results i got with my first experiance. I have not looked at this for months. i cant wait to try it again so i can do a better job recording results

Since this testing will take 90 days to get a good idea weather this helps, I’ll just keep the data here.

Fusion-Tech Nanomaxx engine treatment. Treated10-3-09

Test 1 GMC 3500 Savanna Van, 2001, Box-van GVWR 9500lbs, 222410 miles.

The GMC test will be more about weather it will reduces oil consumption and stop the fouling plug.
#4 cylinder fouled out in 130 miles, (that last plug I used was a Double tip platinum Bosch. I’m not sure whether the double tip just fouls out quicker, or the engine condition has gotten that much worst. Before the Bosch i used Autolite & NGK plugs they where lasting 300 miles before fouling. )

This van also has a FS2 Volo chip (I don’t think its going to work until the the engine can run without fouling plugs)

Oil useage Uses 1 quarts of oil of every 200 miles ( this has progressively getting worst over the last year)

Oil pressure; engine warm 19 psi @ idle, 39 psi cruising, 42 accelerating load

Average MPG 9.5

Test run MPG 10.38 MPG. 30.5 miles : 2.938 gallons = . 10-03-09. Test MPG after first treatment 30 mile round trip non stop (except McDonalds drive through), same gas QT, same pump, auto shutoff mode.

Engine compression cylinders
(compression test not done by the book, Only removed one plug and ran engine. Taking the highest reading )
1. 100
2. 100
3. 95
4. 90
5. 100
6. 100
7. 100
8. 85
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________

Test 1 Mercury Villager 1994, 192,023 miles, very good cond, burns no oil, maybe a little week on power. This test is mainly for MPG monitoring

Average MPG, 20.0 MPG when I'm driving, 17.6 MPG when the wife drive. ( per Digital dashboard cluster readout)

Test run MPG 26.514, Digital dashboard cluster readout 22.5MPG
35.9.miles, 90 % hwy 10% city 1.354 gallons. Same gas Kroger, same pump, auto shut off

Oil useage not noticable under 3000 miles

Cylinder Compression.
Red are before treatment only removing 1 plug at a time and starting engine
The other black numbers are 70 miles after treatment, all plugs removed & throttle wide open. Low number is 4 revolutions, the second number is 10 seconds of cranking the engine.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_firing_orders.htm
1. 150-175------105
2. 150-175------105
3. 155-175------105
4. 150-175------105
5. 155-175------70 ******
6. 160-180------90

****** Note i tested that cylinder 4 times before treatment because it had the lowest numbers. the test were 65,65,70,65. i took the highest number. I did also a "one plug removal test" on this cylinder at the 70 miles after treatment and got 75psi at least a 5 psi improvement.

Last edited:
PART 2
Im copying this from a forum where i orignalyy posted my testing.

i really shoud test it agian before i do a second treatment.

"Its been about 6 weeks since my Ceramic treatment of Fusion Tech in 2 vehicles. I intended to do more reporting and testing but stuff happens.

Just a brief update to be followed buy a more detailed one and then a final report and opinion at the 3 month point.

My GMC has greatly improved it's fouling Spark plugs issue on #4 cylinder. (it had been fouling every 300 miles or less). Its now gone over been 1200 miles since the last fouling (it seems to be getting longer between fouling as time goes on.

The MPG has improved (about 10%) but i cant say for sure the the treatment had any thing to do with that. ( I will make a effort to isolate what contributed to improved MPG at 3 month point)

I have not done a compression check lately on the GMC.

Oil consumption has definitely gone down. but it seems to have been increasing a little with time. I need more time to determine how much oil use reduction has happened

Mercury Villager

I have had issues with this 1994 villager. The daily MPG (wife driving unknown about treatment or testing) has gone down about 20%. I first thought it had something to do with the treatment. I am now fairly certain it did not have anything to do with the treatment. I drove in it down to FL this week about 900 miles. The HWY driving showed a slight improvement in mpg 5-10%. but acceleration MPG does look to be worse according to the vans MPG gauge (I'll compared Data later) ( i believe it has a sensor issue but no codes)

I did a compression check and it did go up at week 2 but now it back down to orgininal comprsion.

I have to say the company Fusion tech really needs to get thier act together. Thier not very helpfull with details...
1. Thier online directions are for a Two part product, and they are now using a one part product.
2. They say to add product then drive at least 20 minites. After later conversations they recomdend add product and let idle for 20 minites.
I cant help but think the Type of oil you use matters also but no mention of that, I've been using Delvac 1300 15-40, but i think i should have use 5-30 (which is really the factory recomended oil for both of these vehcles)
If I had to do it over again i think i would have done this with RVS from the Canadian distibutor they offer a bit more helpfull details.

Anyway all in all I have to say as of now, i do think it was a very good investment for my GMC"

c3po, i don't know if i have a sludge issue, i only did an engine flush to be on the safe side.

First with SONAX, a german kerosene based flush, 10m@idle.

Then another one with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 already in the engine and after 1200 miles (and almost 2quarts worth of top up's), with Xado specific "Vitaflush", driving 120 miles with it as XADO instructions stated, before changing to GTX 15w50 with the xado cermet inside.

I kept the "old" (1200 miles) oil filter, allowed the remaining oil to drain from it completely during several weeks and measured its weight after.
It was 2.47 ounces heavier compared with a same brand new..

So 2 engines flush's in a 1200 mile period.

I have no ideia what's causing the oil consumption, so im trying to cover all possible causes, that is why i'm considering Auto-Rx for seal cleaning/conditioning, just to be on the safe side..
If it helps keeping the engine clean, i'll consider it an added bonus.

60 miles remaining to reach the 600 miles checkpoint..
The dipstick will tell then..

Then another one with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 already in the engine and after 1200 miles (and almost 2quarts worth of top up's)

I am guessing that you do not have an oil leak, if you did you would tell us.

Time to check the whole PCV System, meaning the Breather Baffle, PCV Valve, and the PCV Hoses and Breather.

I am wondering if your oil return holes in the cylinder heads are plugged up.

Roland, great search and test results!
Also, i've just looked at your post about Cermet vs RVS.

demarpaint posted that cermet products had the potential to foul plugs in gasoline engines.

Did you manage to find any info on this?

c3po sugested i should have the PCV valve checked, so i'm wondering if oil with XADO cermet burning in the combustion chamber due to a possible PCV malfunction on my engine could cause trouble..
If my engine is burning oil, my cat is probably coated in oil by now, should see some smoke, but i dont.
Emissions test is due in July, so i guess i'll find out soon enough..

What about your plugs?
Did you checked them?

c3po, if the oil return holes could be plugged, how can i fix it?

Anyway, only 7 miles left to check my dipstick.
Tomorrow i´ll find out if XADO made any difference..

Also , i wonder why these cermet products are so hard to find..
See you guys tomorrow!

c3po, if the oil return holes are plugged, how can I fix it?

I know of NO oil additive that will unclog oil return holes, the only way to do this is too take off the Valve Cover and take a look at the cylinder head, if they are clogged then you may need to get a screwdriver to try and get the crud out.

Not only does the PCV Valve need to be checked, but also the Breather, and the Baffle that the PCV Valve sits in, if the Baffle is clogged you may need to use some Carburetor Cleaner, you might have to spray it in there and let it soak.

Ok.. completed the first 600 miles.
Waited 1 hour (as usual) and went to check the dipstick..
Oil consumption continues.
This time it was within the "safe zone" and not at the border line of the point you MUST top up.
But since i used 15w50 GTX this time, instead of 5w40, not sure if it was XADO or GTX.. or if both had anything to do with it.

Anyway, i'm doomed to do a top up soon.
To help things, now an acid type smell started coming out of the air conditioning vents..
Just my luck.. or fate..

Engine works with top notch performance, oil consumption or not.
UOA is impossible were i live and costs a fortune to do it in the few places available in my country..
So i have no idea if the engine is wearing itself out in "a blaze of glory" or is in perfect working (and lubricating) condition..

Guess i'll have to move on to the next step..

Ok, quick update:

Checked the oil again this morning, drove like a mad man for 120 miles last night just to try to keep up with some friends with a far more powerful car (and a heavy foot).

Had to top up this morning, so here are my conclusions about XADO so far:

With the exception of last night, the car was driven much the same way as usual, "soccer mom" style short trips, about 6 times/day.

So, had to top up the GTX 15w50 after 720 miles, instead of 600miles (very small improvement, i know).

Engine is quieter since XADO is in there and also revs up noticebly quicker, even quicker than it did with Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 with no XADO, almost feels "greased" so Xado did produce some effects.. question is how long will they last..

On their portuguese website they claim that, with time Oil consumption will continue to drop, and XADO particles will remain in the engine for up to ten OCI's, so i'll keep checking every 600miles to measure if oil consumption slows down.

If its worth the money spent?
Probably to early to give a straight, decisive answer..
Engine performs better now but i guess i'll have to wait a bit more to be sure if it will be good enough..

Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks everyone
19.gif

Tuga

The first 600 i would not expext to much. I think the next 600 miles should so show weather it helps or not.

Was the treatment you use in a sringe ($99) or or a Squeze tube ($39) ?

I think CerMet labs sells a very good product. It did what they said it would do. But if I were to do it all over again, I would spend much more time and energy cleaning my engine out. I thought I had a clean engine, but I was wrong.

I think that the cermet particles work best if they can not get hung up in whatever sludge is hanging out in the engine. I would say any particulate-style oil additive would probably only make a sludged engine worse because it would build up on the sludge "banks" instead of mating to the metallic surfaces.

By the way, here's a good tip for you: if you decide to try out Pulstar spark plugs, enjoy them, they work great!, but DO NOT USE AMSOIL POWERFOAM IN YOUR INTAKE!! The Powerfoam will crystalize and permanently foul the super-hot tips of the Pulstar plugs.

Luckily I'm able to return mine for a refund. :D

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

By the way, here's a good tip for you: if you decide to try out Pulstar spark plugs, enjoy them, they work great!, but DO NOT USE AMSOIL POWERFOAM IN YOUR INTAKE!! The Powerfoam will crystalize and permanently foul the super-hot tips of the Pulstar plugs.

Luckily I'm able to return mine for a refund. :D

Interesting observation about the Power Foam. I wonder what would happen to a standard or platinum plug if it fouled a "super-hot" tip of a Pulstar plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back