Duralast vs. NAPA Water Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low coolant light came on on the Saturn, so I checked and found coolant on the subframe near the RF passenger tire. It has got to be the water pump as every other part of the cooling system (heater core, radiator, thermostat, cap, hoses, etc) are all new.

The two choices are NAPA for $40 or AutoZone for $37. Autozone's pump has a nationwide warranty, which is one advantage over NAPA.

Any experience with either?

Thanks!

I had a Duralast pump die in just over a year of use on my '89 Olds.

Sure, AZ replaced it with a free one, but while on a long trip, the wobbly pump shaft caused my serpentine belt to shred. A piece of the belt, running at highway speed, took out my crank sensor (tow-truck time).

The replacement has been running since the fall of 2007, but I'd probably go with NAPA, after that bad experience.

Last edited:
NAPA for sure, especially for the small difference in price.

You could even get a Gates pump off Rock Auto for about $35 including shipping and its probably better than both the others.

Originally Posted By: defektes
NAPA, especially with such a small price difference.

Gates is the supplier of water pumps to NAPA.

Of course, this does not guarantee that the quality of water pumps sold by Gates under their brand is the same quality as the pumps sold under the NAPA label.

I have used nothing but NAPA remans with the lifetime warranty, great results, the one on my jeep is over 4 or 5 years old and many miles. If you go with the NAPA make sure to keep your receipt, that is your warranty.

Originally Posted By: defektes
If you go with the NAPA make sure to keep your receipt, that is your warranty.

Really? That's lame.

With AutoZone, you do not even need the receipt. All of the information is tracked via your phone number through the computer.

Interesting dilemma. The NAPA name no longer guarantees that it is of general better quality now a days. They, too, are getting in more import parts to remain competitive.

I imagine both the AZ and NAPA pumps are imported? I wonder how they compare to a remanufactured OEM?

There's no clear cut better choice and you have buy one and "role with the punches".

My bias is to go with NAPA only because of their (and Gates) better reputation. BUT, the idea of having to retain a paper receipt is so old fashioned!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

My bias is to go with NAPA only because of their (and Gates) better reputation. BUT, the idea of having to retain a paper receipt is so old fashioned!

Just slip it in between two pages of the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I don't think you'll keep this car long enough to tell a difference between the two.

Some people might, however.

I've kept cars long enough that have required multiple water pump replacements, every 100 to 150K miles.

I shopped around for Saturn water pumps about 3 years ago. NAPA's, Advance's and Autozone's all looked exactly the same--I was looking at impellers, but I think the markings were even the same. I went with Advance, because they had the best deal. Good thing it had a lifetime warranty, because it was leaking again after 20,000 miles. Advance's replacement this time is cast aluminum with a flat flange and paper gasket, compared to the earlier stamped steel with an o-ring type gasket. Considering my experience so far, I would probably buy based on warranty.

If you've never changed one of these before, a long 10mm wrench and a 3/8" flex handle with short 10mm socket will be helpful. There's not enough clearance for a ratchet on some bolts, and the flex handle setup is just a bit thinner. The long wrench will help tighten the pulley bolts.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Same pump different box. Made in China from the same factory.

that has been my experience. all the stores have the same water pump with identical markings.

the last one i bought (1999 3500 454Cu) was from napa and made in china stamped right on the box

So, the water pump pulley bolts fought me for a while, but I eventually won.

I took off the water pump pulley and the shaft seal was dry. There was MAYBE one drop on one of the bolts, no conclusive signs that there was truly a leak.

So for now, I retightened the suspect bolts, and cleaned the entire area. I reassembled everything and started the car, revved it, etc...and the area is still dry.

So I'll just wait and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back