How to remove scuff marks from a chrome bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would using WD40 and a brillo pad work to remove a scuff mark from my chrome bumper? I've tried Turtle Wax chrome polish but didn't have any luck. I'm just concerned that a brillo pad will do more damage.

I heard using polish and a brillo and applying polish to the bumper and gently rubbing works. You do not want to make direct contact with the bumper(brillo to bumper) you need some type of barrier there.

very fine steel wool with a polish should work, or a polish and buffer wheel on a drill.
As long as you use a very fine product, you can be fairly hard on it. just don't use anything course.
Here are a couple of shots of cleaning up chrome. For this I used the red polishing stick (Harbor freight or other store).

page19-1011-full.jpg

page19-1012-full.jpg

page19-1013-full.jpg

check the type of "brillo" pad you are using. Don't use an aluminum oxide pad, that will scratch it. You would want a regular type fine nylon pad or fine steel wool.
if you have rust or stains then you could try coca-cola as a cleaning agent- the phosphoric acid will do the cleaning, otherwise look for a chrome cleaner which will be acidic (phosphoric or hydrochloric usually).
metal wadding polish usually works ok, such as never-dull, but to get chrome really nice you need a buffing wheel like above with a chrome polish. and be careful with what polishes you use, chrome is only a thousandth of an inch thick and with the wrong polish, such as for aluminum, you can buff through the chrome when using a wheel. And you want a soft cotton type of wheel, do not use a sisal wheel or anything abrasive.

Thanks for all the advice. I used a light "scuff" pad and soap as a lubricant with a little elbow grease. That did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back