Adding Lucas TB Zinc Plus to oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a jeep 4.0 with flat tappet camshaft And i was told that i could use Lucas TB Zinc Plus as a Zinc additive. But i don't remember what the ratio of TB Zinc Plus to quart of oil. I was thinking it was like 1 oz of lucas to a quart of oil or something like that? I remember hearing you can use to much and sludge up the engine So id like to find out so i can get my jeep running again. this is the stuff i'm using http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show

whoa...too much zinc actually causes excessive wear,right around 1200ppm is the max(sweetspot) ,900ppm would suffice,there have been whitesheets posted on this in the VOA section.They're very informative if you have a chance to look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
whoa...too much zinc actually causes excessive wear,right around 1200ppm is the max(sweetspot) ,900ppm would suffice,are you sure your on top of current VOA section?
Welcome to bitog!

VOA section? i don't know what that is.

I have been hearing for years that they took a lot of zinc out of newer motor oils and the jeeps needing oil with more zinc. I know the subjects been beaten to death but i havent drove my jeep in a long time and im trying to get it on/off the road again. Since it has a flat tappet cam id like to get my zinc back to protect my tappets/cam. Someone was telling me how much of the Lucas to add but i cant for the life of me remember what it was.

Now that i know 1200-900ppm is what im aiming for i can probably figure it out if i can find the info on lucas site and find out what the oil im running has in it (Valvoline 10W40 white bottle)

Originally Posted By: jeepthing07
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
whoa...too much zinc actually causes excessive wear,right around 1200ppm is the max(sweetspot) ,900ppm would suffice,are you sure your on top of current VOA section?
Welcome to bitog!

VOA section? i don't know what that is.

I have been hearing for years that they took a lot of zinc out of newer motor oils and the jeeps needing oil with more zinc. I know the subjects been beaten to death but i havent drove my jeep in a long time and im trying to get it on/off the road again. Since it has a flat tappet cam id like to get my zinc back to protect my tappets/cam. Someone was telling me how much of the Lucas to add but i cant for the life of me remember what it was.

Now that i know 1200-900ppm is what im aiming for i can probably figure it out if i can find the info on lucas site and find out what the oil im running has in it (Valvoline 10W40 white bottle)

Thats the Virgin Oil Analysis-VOA loated on the main forum page about halfway down......very good stuff there a 'must read'.

I downloaded the PDF file for Penzoil white bottle all it says for Zinc is "Zinc/Phosphorus 0.083/0.076" it says nothing about PPM. Sorry for being a noob but does anyone know what this means?

I checked out the VOA section but i don't see the white bottle i'm using listed on there.

that would be 830 ppm and 760 ppm typical new SM oil.

there was a calculation around here, i think it was 3 oz of Lucas break in add to 5qts of SM oil would be around 1200-1300 ppm Zn/phos. do advanced search for ZDDP

Originally Posted By: jeepthing07

Is there a cost benefit to using this additive? Just about any HDEO has sufficient zinc. Bought by the 5 gallon pail, you'd likely be paying significantly less than you would if you bought the same amount of regular dino oil in 4 or 5 quart bottles.

If you want synthetic, the HDEO synthetics are about the same cost as PCMO synthetics. Rather than messing around with a potentially expensive additive, my preference is just to use HDEO. Costs are good and if one is really worried about getting a good winter viscosity, the synthetics cover that.

I'm simply not a fan of adding something to the oil to make it "appropriate" when I can actually buy an appropriate oil off the shelf. For a break in of a non-roller cam, maybe. Other than that, not a chance.

This is a ratio thing which is not that hard. Lucas don't give any hint of what how much zinc is in the oil example in the literature, so that leaves a little room for error.

Anyway, if it boosts 4.5 quarts to 5000ppm then if you use half you get about 2500ppm. 1/4 gives you about 1250ppm.

So for a quart of oil to get to 1250ppm you need to divided by 4.5.

So that gives you 16oz/4/4.5 = 0.89oz.

Lucas would have been better off telling you how much Zinc it would add rather than how much you would end up with. As the second measure makes assumptions about how much Zinc is in the oil you are adding to.

Last edited:
I would argue that for a broken in, low performance engine Stock cam profile and stock valve spring pressure) the additive is unnecessary.

Also, you could avoid the worries about overdosing on ZDDP and get the same protection going to a 10W30 HDEO, like shell Rotella-T, which is generally around $10.50-11.00/gallon (either the good old T3 or the new T-5, or you could go with a 5W40 syn Rotella. Both have higher levels of ZDDP than the average SM.

As above, you should use the oil rating spec'd for your engine and you shouldn't have any problems (unless you have hotrodded it). Later spec oils are for later model engines.

Also agree with Mr.Allen.

I'm running RTS in my '97 Cherokee 4.0.
Seems to be doing quite well so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back