How to dispose of bad gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never yet been able to find anyone who will take bad gas. I sometimes end up with a gallon or two of old 2-stroke mixed gas after a season, and I'd rather get rid of it than take a chance of plugging up my carb in the spring. Ethanol just makes this problem worse. I live in a city where I can't just burn it off, and the whole area is now no burn anyway. What do you do to get rid of bad or old gas?

Sounds like it's not too old, how about running it in your car?

If you are worried about using all of it at once, spread it out, put a 1/2 gallon in each time and soon it will all be gone.

Yep, a little at a time. Ha, I just started my lawn mower with last years gasoline. Ran fine.

Oh and don't worry about the 2 stroke oil, I ran it in my fuel tank at 500:1 (about 1 oz per 4 gallons) for about a year as a fuel treatment. No adverse effects.

yep, put it in a clean glass jar and slowly use it. And don't buy as much next time...

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I've never yet been able to find anyone who will take bad gas.

Yeah, me neither. If you find a girl who will tolerate it, she's a keeper.

I usually feed it to my Caravan or Olds at a rate of one gallon of fuel/oil mix per tank (both have 18 gallon tanks). I run the tank to near-empty, add the mixed fuel, then fill.

At 40:1, there's only 3.2 oz. of two-stroke oil in one gallon of mix -- won't hurt a thing diluted in an 18-gallon tank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Feed it to my car... A quart per tank of almost anything won't hurt your car.

That's exactly what I do. The Aerostar gets it, I run it through a Coleman Lantern filter into a clean container, and add about 1/2 gallon at a time to a tank of gas. Since I don't want to carry it with me to the gas station I fill up until the pump shuts off, then add it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
yep, put it in a clean glass jar and slowly use it. And don't buy as much next time...

+1.

I use old gasoline and old 2-stroke fuel and mix it in fresh gasoline little-by-little. It won't hurt anything. Dumping it is just a waste.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I've never yet been able to find anyone who will take bad gas.

Yeah, me neither. If you find a girl who will tolerate it, she's a keeper.

43.gif

One time I might have accidentally put some in my used oil bucket. I also then accidentally might have taken it to AutoZone to dump in their recycling container.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: TurboWagon
One time I might have accidentally put some in my used oil bucket. I also then accidentally might have taken it to AutoZone to dump in their recycling container.

27.gif

might blow up somebody`s oil fire heater.... move over under their..
27.gif

I wouldn't dump anything but oil in those dump tanks. The owner of a garage where I dump oil said one of his tanks was contaminated with something and it cost him big $$$ to have the load removed as toxic waste. He now doesn't let most people dump oil there anymore. If we abuse the privilege we may lose it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: TurboWagon

27.gif

might blow up somebody`s oil fire heater.... move over under their..
27.gif

I would not advocate dumping a bunch of gas into a dump tank, but this does raise an interesting question: how much is too much. We often see UOA with a percent or two of gasoline dilution just from the operation of the vehicle. Very clearly, low levels of gasoline are expected in used oil.

But where is the problem/danger threshold?

Well, it was a rather negligible amount, but I see what you're all saying. Obviously not something to do on a regular basis, but seeing as they accept coolant, motor oil, gear oil, transmission oil, a little gas probably isn't going to hurt anything.

Personally, I would not run old gas in my car, especially if it has 2 cycle oil mixed in.

Use a little at a time in your vehicle, and it won't notice it.

Could always have a small dish of it somewhere safe and let it evaporate (yeah, you're not supposed to, but a little won't hurt...they tell us to dispose of old oil paint that way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back