Capacity of a tandem dump truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the load capacity of a tandem dump truck like this?
Freightliner%20dump%20truck_10_9_2008_25_5_l.jpg

I'm needing about 24,000 pounds of gravel hauled for a landscaping project. I was just curious how much of a load that 24,000 pounds would be for a truck like this?

A full load, 3/4 of a load, 1/2 of a load?

I think 10 tonnes is about the limit for a dual axle, a tri axle can do a bit more. Just ask for 12 tonnes in one load and see what they tell you.
Gravel pits sell by weight here, not loads or volume.

Cost is by weight so if the material is wet it costs more even if its the same volume. Most trucks that deliver to my place haul 12-13 ton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here they carry about 18 tons. Ever tandem load I've ordered is around that figure.

So, it sounds like I'm right at a full load.

I'm going to ask for 12 tons (or a full load, I'm not sure how big his truck is), I was just curious as to how much of a load that would be for a tandem truck.

Fully aware of what happens when gravel is wet. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it works.

Depends on how much the truck weighs empty.

Tandems can legal 34k and that front 12k total. 56,000lbs total with perfect loading. Truck alone probly weighs around 18-20k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
gravel will weigh 2,700 to 3,000 pounds per cubic yard

I was told to figure 1.4 tons (2800#) per cubic yard, so that's right in there.

I need about 8.5 cubic yards, so that's where I'm figuring that I need 12 tons.

What can I expect to pay... $5 - $10 a mile?

Round trip from my site to the gravel quarry and back will be right at 25 miles.

Do you have a license to drive that truck? What about experience driving 25 tons down the road?

I'd just have it delivered. Around here it would be cheaper than paying $200-300 in rental fees and you aren't wasting a couple of hours of your time.

Make sure it's LOCKED. when I lived in maine, we were following behind one of those, it would occasionally drop a few rocks out the bottom of the back. We stayed back. It went up a hill, and the back opened and dumpedabout 30 feet of big 4, 5" rocks onto the road, before closing again, and it did this twice more, though the amount of rocks it dumped was much smaller. Mom and I followed it and called the police, because he didn't even stop, just kept going. She blocked him in where he pulled in and let him know, and waited for the police to show up and take care of it. He didn't have it shut and locked properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What can I expect to pay... $5 - $10 a mile?

Round trip from my site to the gravel quarry and back will be right at 25 miles.

I think Grade A gravel(side of the highway type) was $20/ton delivered for free within 6 miles last time I got some, but I live in the country with probably a dozen pits within 10 miles of me.
Get some quotes, if you don't sound like you know what it should cost some guys might take you for ride.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think Grade A gravel(side of the highway type) was $20/ton delivered for free within 6 miles last time I got some, but I live in the country with probably a dozen pits within 10 miles of me.
Get some quotes, if you don't sound like you know what it should cost some guys might take you for ride.

I'm betting the gravel will be between $20 and $25 a ton.

As for the total cost, I really don't care, I'm not the one that is paying for it... it's actually for a Church.

I'm donating my time and labor to get it ordered, prepping where it goes, spreading it out with a garden tractor and blade, and then raking it out smooth.

The guy that I'm having haul it came highly recommended from a close friend. I just didn't pick this guy at random out of the yellow pages.

I look at it this way... if a guy wants to overcharge a Church and take them "for a ride"... well, then.... he's a lot braver than I am.

lol.gif

Around here, a standard truck like that can generally deliver about 10 cubic yards in one delivery (around 15 tons). Anything larger and you need to start adding axles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back