Disappointed in Craftsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usual buy Milwaukee power tools until I found out they were made overseas. I was under the assumption that ALL Craftsman stuff was made in the USA. Wrong. I went in last weekend to look at and compare prices on sawzalls and none of them were made in the USA, all China. I looked at the other brands, same thing, China. I got curious and looked at ALL the power tools, all made in China except Dewalt, they were made in Mexico. I looked at other Craftsman products and pretty much every except hand tools is made in China. Where can I get power tools made in the USA?!

Some Milwaukee stuff still is, but I also assume most is made in China.

I have some Porter Cable stuff made in the USA. Actually, the only reason I know this is because it surprised me.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Where can I get power tools made in the USA?!

Maybe China or Mexico, seeing they send everything here. J/K

Good question!

Most Porter Cable stuff is built in the U.S. I have 3 PC routers, a cordless drill, dovetail jig and a circ saw. All USA made. Tough as nails too. Milwaukee still makes their famous SawZall in the US. Believe it or not, some Ryobi stuff is made in South Carolina.

Dave

Originally Posted By: cchase
Most of the PC stuff I have been seeing these days is made in China.

Probably after Delta took over. I still buy PC or Dewalt. Good stuff for the money. Take a Ryobi 1 1/2 HP router and a PC 1 1/2 router (I have 2 890's). Turn on the Ryobi, the only way you can tell it turned on is the noise. Then turn on the PC router, the torque will twist your arms, if you are not ready for it. If you want really good stuff, try Festool. German made, expensive, but will last forever...

Dave

Sparkplug,
How many miles are on your 4.7 and how does it run on the 15w-40? I tried running that grade in mine one time and the engine felt really sluggish.

What I want to know is where my craftsman lawnmower is assembled. Engine says made in USA on it, and I'm told that craftsman is husqvarna, and they have a plant in georgia.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Sparkplug,
How many miles are on your 4.7 and how does it run on the 15w-40? I tried running that grade in mine one time and the engine felt really sluggish.

She just turned 160k today. The only time it feels sluggish is on really cold mornings but surprisingly there are no noises, silky smooth and quiet. When the engine is warm I can't tell any difference between the Rotella and the M1 5w20 EP I ran this winter. I've actually gotten my best mpg's with the Rotella in the sump. Last summer I averaged 19.1, mostly highway of course.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I looked at other Craftsman products and pretty much every except hand tools is made in China. Where can I get power tools made in the USA?!

You probably could have titled this thread "Disappointed in ALL power tool manufacturers", since Craftsman is far from being the only one to source their power tools elsewhere. Craftsman's line of hand tools, for the most part, continues to be made by Danaher in North Carolina (there are exceptions, of course, and Sears' "Evolv" line of cheaper stuff all comes from China).

I too used to buy Milwaukee tools until they were bought by the Chinese. Most of the Milwaukee stuff I do have was made here but if I were to buy replacements I'm assuming they'd come from China. Fortunately the Milwaukee stuff I have is indestructable and should continue serving me well for a long time.

When my father passed away I inherited all his tools. This included a decent quantity of power tools mostly from the 1960's all made in the USA :)

Although slightly off topic I would like to rebuild the motors in these tools, new brushes, cleaning, lube etc. and polish the cases (these are all metal) no plastic junk here. Also would like to change cords/plugs over to 3 prong grounded type. Where can I find brushes and other parts to rebuild these tools?? Maybe some internet sites someone can point me towards... Tom

I have all my dad's Craftsman tools from when he was an A&P mechanic working for National and PanAm that were bought back in the 1960's and they will probably last another 50 years the way they were built.

Here's who makes what and generally where:

Black & Decker:
B&D with nylon gears (mostly China)
Craftsman "mouse" sanders & electric hedge trimmers
DeWalt (mostly Mexico, some China)
Porter Cable (mostly Mexico, some China)
Delta (mostly China)

Bosch
Bosch tools (Europe, USA, Malaysia, some China)
Skil (mostly China and low grade)
Dremel (mostly Mexico)
Craftsman "Dremel"-type tools
Roto Zip (?)

Techtronic/TTI
Ryboi outside of Japan (mostly China)
AEG (some Europe, rest China)
Milwuakee (some USA (Sawzall), some Czech, mostly China)
Rigid/Home Depot (China)

Makita
some Japan, some Europe, mostly China
older stuff made mostly in USA or Japan

Panasonic
mostly Japan, some China

Hitachi Koki
All made in China, older stuff in Japan

Metabo
mostly Europe

Freud
Mostly Europe

Fein
Mostly Europe

Chervon Tool China
All made in China: make most of Craftsman power tools now
Contract maker for Lowe's and other house brands

Perhaps the Milwaukee tools are mostly Chinese-built, but they are still pretty darn robust. I was very impressed with the quality and strength of my M18 cordless tools.

Once, when I was done working under the car, I started lowering the car using the jack. I noticed a spot of light on the wall that moved down when I lowered the car a little. It turns out that I was squishing my Milwaukee M18 worklight! The spot of light was moving down because the plastic frame was being forced over at a 45deg angle! It bounced back, and you can't even tell that it got squished.

Update: I found an American made Milwaukee sawzall! In Home Depot of all places. $120. I compared it to it's Chinese counter parts and they seem about on par. I may buy that Chinese 18v cordless drill I've been drooling over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back