Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Summer Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you guys have experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760? According to the instrumented testing from TireRack and Car and Driver, the RE760 is superior to the Yokohama S.Drive.

The reason for asking is because I posted a thread on here several months ago about my friend's GTI needing tires. That was about 7,000 miles ago, and now the tires are as bald as bowling balls. So, we have an appointment with America's Tire tomorrow at 12.

America's Tire quoted $705 installed for four Bridgestone Potenza RE760s after a $100 mail-in rebate. The cost per tire is $159/tire, and the remainder of the price makes up the balancing charge, environmental fee, disposal fee, taxes and four TPMS rebuild kits.

However, I noticed that onlinetires.com sells the identical tire for $134.30/shipped-- which is a savings of 24.70/tire. So, I plan to ask them to pricematch.

Also, I need the tires road force balanced since this is a low-profile application. What is a reasonable price for performing a road force balance?

Thanks!

Roadforce balance shouldn't be any more expensive than regular balance. It's just a matter of what kind of balancing equipment the shop has. If they have the Hunter Roadforce balancer, then most likely they balance all their tires on it. And if they don't have the machine, then even if you offer them more money, they won't be able to help you.

Now, balancing with optimization may cost extra because it requires the worker to first find the heaviest (or lightest) part of the rim and then align it with the lightest (or heaviest) part of the tire, to minimize the need for balancing weights.

Take a look at Continental ExtremeContact DWS, it is the newest tire from Continental with 540 treadwear and W speed rate. America's tire price is $132 and onlinetires.com is $92 for 235/45-17.

Add 4 tire to shopping cart from onlinetires.com and select pickup, then print the result and ask America's Tire for price match.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Add 4 tire to shopping cart from onlinetires.com and select pickup, then print the result and ask America's Tire for price match.

I*'m actually bickering with America's Tire aboout price matching right now. The one that I am working with claims that they cannot do any pricematching if I qualify for the $100 mail-in rebate, which doesn't seem to be true.

So, America's Tire came through and did a one-time courtesy pricematch on the tires.

I saved $26/tire by having them pricematch onlinetires.com. However, that savings was almost wiped out as I paid $20/tire extra for Hunter Road Force balancing.

In the end, the bill was $677 after mail-in rebate for four Potenza RE760 sports with lifetime balancing, prorated road hazard and flat repair.

So, the RE760 Sports have 4,000 miles on them and they are still relatively quiet.

Although I did not measure the tread depth, I can already see noticeable wear on the front tires. If I had to guess, the fronts have about 8/32 left and the rears still look new.

I'll get the tires rotated and rebalanced in the next week or two and will report back with the tread depth. I sure hope these will not wear out as quickly as the Continental ContiSportContact 2s.

Update:

Around 5500 miles on RE760 Sports now. The fronts look like they have about 6/32" left, tops.

You need to rotate the tire at no more than 4k miles to even out the front and rear.

The Potenza RE760 is very good performance tire, the tread wear and cost makes it too expensive to own. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS may be a better choice for slightly lower cost and longer tread life.

I had RE730's on one of my cars back a few years ago. One of the grippiest best performance tires I've ever driven on.

Loud, sure, wore like [censored], sure.... Handled like glue! It's not the type of tire that is for everyone. They're all out performance.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Update:

Around 5500 miles on RE760 Sports now. The fronts look like they have about 6/32" left, tops.

Given their 340 treadwear rating, I thought they'd last a little longer... are you driving it like you stole it? :)

I've got a little over 6k miles on the RE960 and there looks to be around 75% tread still left on the rear (even more on the front obviously)... haven't even rotated them yet. They're pretty grippy as far as all-seasons go, just not as quick to respond as max perf summer tires. Still, no complaints in the dry or wet. Quiet, too.

You need to rotate the tire at no more than 4k miles to even out the front and rear.

Probably. I'll tell him to get to it.

The Potenza RE760 is very good performance tire, the tread wear and cost makes it too expensive to own. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS may be a better choice for slightly lower cost and longer tread life.

The DWS is not known for good handling. That tire is probably better suited to "sporty" cars that see a lot of nasty weathers, like Subaru Legacys.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Given their 340 treadwear rating, I thought they'd last a little longer... are you driving it like you stole it? :)

My friend drives the GTI on the harder side, but nothing ridiculous IMO. It is difficult to get a smooth launch from a stop on his car, so sometimes you do lay some rubber. Also, we have a lot of windy roads around here so that doesn't help with treadlife.

Thread wear indicators are manufacturer specific and one cannot compare apples to apples in that regard with other brands. Also, 360 in not a high indicator. If you want high mileage the tires rated AA OR A and B appear to give that. A A tires seems to have lower thread life. A B tires are just as safe for those that drive under 100 mph

Treadwear ratings aren't maufacturer specific, it is a universal system that compares to a standard. # is treadwear, letters are traction and temperature ratings.

Hmm... so rotating every 6K miles would be a good idea with my TL? I just had a set of these mounted. I like them a lot. No other decent tires were in stock.

15k+ on the RE760 Sports now and they still have tread left, according to the dealer during the 40k service. Rotations were done at 7k and 14k on the tires.

Friend said no problems with the tires at all, and they should last past 20k without any problems.

He's pretty happy with the tires as he usually needs at least 2 tires every 12k.

Get a tire with a warranty,next time. Keep up with the rotations. You,then get a pro rate on your next set of tires.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Hmm... so rotating every 6K miles would be a good idea with my TL? I just had a set of these mounted. I like them a lot. No other decent tires were in stock.

Update on mine: 10K on them, nearly 6 months after I purchased them. They look like they will last me about 30K. I am keeping up with the rotations pretty well and will have the vehicle aligned soon. Good thing my travel schedule is changing. I'll be flying more than driving now. 20K/year is murder on my pocket in terms of maintenance.

Update on mine: 10K on them, nearly 6 months after I purchased them. They look like they will last me about 30K. I am keeping up with the rotations pretty well and will have the vehicle aligned soon. Good thing my travel schedule is changing. I'll be flying more than driving now. 20K/year is murder on my pocket in terms of maintenance.

I hear that.. a few years back I bought a ford ranger 4x4.. decked it out with all the offroad stuff. Then they transferred me. I was going an hour one way... ugh.

15-18mpg x 35miles driving into the snow belt= sad panda

Originally Posted By: Rand
I hear that.. a few years back I bought a ford ranger 4x4.. decked it out with all the offroad stuff. Then they transferred me. I was going an hour one way... ugh.

15-18mpg x 35miles driving into the snow belt= sad panda

A lot of my travel is to Louisiana. I have no reason to stay the weekends as much as I use to so I'll just fly in. With all the travel I will do this year, I'd be dumb for not flying in and renting cars. I've hit platinum on some hotel chains, and will probably hit Elite on air travel and maybe even Avis First.

I also want to hold off on the monstrous 105K service because I'll need tires around then, in addition to that expensive service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back