Never changing oil - Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Love this thread, and ones like it (

their is something interesting about people living on the fringes of society.

Or perhaps the fringes of stupidity...
wink.gif

01.gif

I've decided not to change the oil anymore in my sister's 2001 VW Golf (this is the one that used to be my mom's car) When my mom was driving this car she drove less than 4k a year so I was running GC 0w30 in it and changing it every 2 years. The UOAs came back proving that was safe. Now this engine is burning a lot more oil (mostly because my sister drives a lot more than my mom did!) so my father has been adding about a liter every month or so (not exactly sure how many miles she drives per month but I'll guess around 2000) I'll find out the exact mileage tomorrow but I believe the current fill of GC (which is the original green formula, M04 batch to be exact) has about 10,000 miles on it. But it's also been replenished with about 5 or 6 liters of fresh GC as well (one liter of which was the gold formula, as my dad went out and bought a liter from Walmart last week and added it instead of waiting for me to give him a liter of the green stuff I still have left)

So my plan is to change the oil filter tomorrow (and will change it every year), and then give my dad the remaining 7 liters I have left of the original green formula GC (which is from the very early M05 batch) and he can keep topping it up as need be. With the amount of oil this engine burns I honestly think this will be safe and I'm probably going to do a UOA next year to double check.

Patman, I'm in the same situation with my Corolla. I've tried modifying the PCV system (which had short term consumption reduction), cleaning the ring packs with several various products, and it still consumes a quart every 1,500 or so miles. I'm a stickler for keeping the oil level full, so in the course of 4,000 to 5,000 miles, the entire crankcase capacity gets replenished with fresh oil from top offs. I'll change the filter every 5,000 miles maybe, and change the oil every 10,000 or so miles. With the constant top offs, the oil never even gets dark, let alone black.

as for an empty crankcase I remember the slick 50 salesman coming to my speed shop in North Tampa circa 1980 or so.

He actually removed his drain plug and drained every drop out of his older Cutlass. Left the plug and the oil in the lot.

We then took the car for a 20 minute ride with the ac and everything! It never missed a beat.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I've decided not to change the oil anymore in my sister's 2001 VW Golf (this is the one that used to be my mom's car) When my mom was driving this car she drove less than 4k a year so I was running GC 0w30 in it and changing it every 2 years. The UOAs came back proving that was safe. Now this engine is burning a lot more oil (mostly because my sister drives a lot more than my mom did!) so my father has been adding about a liter every month or so (not exactly sure how many miles she drives per month but I'll guess around 2000) I'll find out the exact mileage tomorrow but I believe the current fill of GC (which is the original green formula, M04 batch to be exact) has about 10,000 miles on it. But it's also been replenished with about 5 or 6 liters of fresh GC as well (one liter of which was the gold formula, as my dad went out and bought a liter from Walmart last week and added it instead of waiting for me to give him a liter of the green stuff I still have left)

So my plan is to change the oil filter tomorrow (and will change it every year), and then give my dad the remaining 7 liters I have left of the original green formula GC (which is from the very early M05 batch) and he can keep topping it up as need be. With the amount of oil this engine burns I honestly think this will be safe and I'm probably going to do a UOA next year to double check.

When your dad runs out of the GC you give him, do you think he'll buy more to top-off with, or will it just start getting 'whatever' your dad/sister buys?

Im sure either way, the car will be just fine - how many miles total on the car?

Originally Posted By: addyguy

When your dad runs out of the GC you give him, do you think he'll buy more to top-off with, or will it just start getting 'whatever' your dad/sister buys?

He will definitely stick with GC, as he has been using nothing but GC in his 2004 Volvo XC70 since it's very first oil change, so he knows exactly what to look for when he goes into Walmart.

Quote:

Im sure either way, the car will be just fine - how many miles total on the car?

Not that many for a 2001 actually, it's around the 115,000 km mark roughly. When my mom bought it used in 2004 it had 77,000 km on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back