Royal Purple vs. Penzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no bone to pick with RP as a company; they are nice people.

For empirical, testable performance, though, I have to agree with Audi. Irreverent as he may be, he does a LOT of testing. RP has consistently proven itself to be shear-prone, refused to license for SM under false "SL-is-better" marketing even though nobody else, even HDEOs, have problems with meeting SM.

There is no way RP, as an oil, is worth its price.

As a company though, it may be. But that's opinion.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: gib
If we ruled out companies based on stupid marketing and exaggerated claims, there wouldn't be much left to buy.

Between Las Vegas taxi claims, 8 times less wear claims, cleanest piston claims, horsepower claims, and so forth, I think we'd all end up having to buy from the dealer or buy house brands from Walmart and the gas stations.

wink.gif

Reminds me of back in the 60's when my brother and I went into a auto parts store and the guy tried to sell us a gagit that you put on the carburator and he said it would save half our gas so my brother being the wiseguy he was, he said I'll buy two and save all my gas - most everything is hype!

I,as well got a straightforward answer from them when I asked about their base stocks. Grp IV (base stock),grp V (ester aka Synerlec),and grp I as the carrier for the additives. No grp III whatsoever. They were very straight up,and didn`t give me the "Our basestocks contain *some* pao",or the famous "It`s proprietary blah blah blah blah" jargon. I asked them an oil recommendation for my car awhile back,and I got an actual email and not a computer generated bot telling me the classic "10W30" answer. They recommended I use 10W40,15W40 or 20W50 if I race my car. For a synthetic,they`re priced pretty competitavely imo. $8 a quart for RP,$10 a quart for Amsoil,$11 for Redline,$10 for Motul.

Originally Posted By: znode

For empirical, testable performance, though, I have to agree with Audi. Irreverent as he may be, he does a LOT of testing. RP has consistently proven itself to be shear-prone, refused to license for SM under false "SL-is-better" marketing even though nobody else, even HDEOs, have problems with meeting SM.

HDEOs don't have 800 ppm zinc and phosphorus caps in API SM, so they can get away with it. RP chooses to remain SL in their PCMOs because it allows a higher ZDDP content. I have no problem with this, nor do I have a problem with high end formulators foregoing API licensing. In my book, API is best for keeping the cheaper blends honest.

Only RP's 5W-30 seems to be shear prone, but we can say the same about M1 and PP, even if they are ever so slightly less shear prone in that grade.

Quote:

Pure opinion. In that '06 GT I would say it was worth the premium over M1.

Originally Posted By: znode

As a company though, it may be. But that's opinion.

Their 5W-40 meets API SM. Did you see the camshaft thread where camshafts used with RP and M1 were compared? Check it out if not.

I would not use RP 5W-30 because it does seem shear prone (for an expensive 5W-30 synthetic) in UOAs but I think their 5W-20, 10W-30, 5W-40 are better in that regard.

Royal Purple and Pennzoil Platinum are both great oils. PP is a better bang for the buck. It's a close match in performance, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
For a synthetic,they`re priced pretty competitavely imo. $8 a quart for RP,$10 a quart for Amsoil,$11 for Redline,$10 for Motul.

The problem with that is RL, Amsoil Dominator, and Motul are more competitive with RP's XPR oils, which are $14/qt.

RP is one of those expensive boutique oils that are no better than a good dino oil.

At least get some Redline or AMSoil if you want something better than good.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The problem with that is RL, Amsoil Dominator, and Motul are more competitive with RP's XPR oils, which are $14/qt.

^^Now that I agree :^) As much fun as it is experimenting with different oils,there`s NOOO way I`d pay $14 a quart for any motor oil,lordy!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
RP is one of those expensive boutique oils that are no better than a good dino oil.

That's absurd.

Originally Posted By: JAG

That's absurd.

So is dying oil purple.

In my car, it would be fair to say RP is no better, maybe worse than a good dino.

Hey, SL vs SM...you know the spec sequence.

That's absurd.

So is dying oil purple.

In my car, it would be fair to say RP is no better, maybe worse than a good dino.

Hey, SL vs SM...you know the spec sequence.

Color of an oil has no effect on how it performs.
When I used it,the purple color was gone within a couple days.

That's absurd.

So is dying oil purple.

Aren't you using green oil?

Originally Posted By: cshaynes2000
Does Royal Purple offer any advantages over PP? RP is made in my little hometown of Porter, Texas. The company donates a lot to community and I like supporting that. What I dont like is paying $2 extra a quart for an oil im not sure is doing anything better than an oil I get off the shelf at wal-mart.

As some others have said it would depend on what you want from the oil as to whether or not it offers any advantage for the extra $2 a qt. Both are excellent oils. If you will only run the oil to 5K then really PP will do the job and do it well for less $$$. While I feel RP is a superior product how much so over 5K of use? IF you could compare long term wear protection between the two, or when running longer OCI's( I wouldn't run PP over 10K and RP is good for 12-15K ), RP would beat out PP. However, run for 5K OCI's or less and the difference would be marginal.

If you will extend your OC's further then RP starts to offer more. RP is a Grp IV PAO base stock oil and PP is only a Grp III hydrocracked crude base stock oil. Penzoil Ultra has "some" Grp IV as I recall and would probably be a better comaprison with RP than the PP.

I am a huge RP fan and have run it for 2 decades. I love the stuff. It is worth the extra $$$ to me vs cheaper bulk jugs of Grp III type synthetics that are so popular here. Money to me is not the deciding factor. RP is a great company making great products and to me it is worth a little extra.

The only issue I see with RP is what year is this vehicle and is it still under warranty. RP, as some have stated, is only API Certified to SL in all but 1 or 2 odd weights. New vehicles( 04/05+ )need SMM w/ the Starburst. Warranty wise for an 04/05+ vehicle PP is the best choice.

Last edited:
Both are top notch oils. RP has more ZDP for applications that call for it.

That's absurd.

So is dying oil purple.

But green is okay? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
wink.gif

As for SM, there are Royal Purple oils that do meet the spec. 0w-40 and 5w-40 certainly do. Most do not, though.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

That's absurd.

So is dying oil purple.

Aren't you using green oil?

I'll skip the whole cycle of asking if you know why it's green, but inform you it's a werkstadt oil.

Also, I didn't buy it ~because~ it's green, nor does it have "green" in it's name, that would sound stupid...not much worse than ~Royal~ though. Who uses this stuff, social climbers? lol, oh, the Duke of Edinborough uses it, must be good.
crackmeup2.gif

Hype vs Substance

A battle of the

"Can't catch a break here" Royal Purple, vs.
the "Perfect and almighty" PP

here at Bob is the SOPUS Guy site!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back