Royal Purple vs. Penzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Royal Purple offer any advantages over PP? RP is made in my little hometown of Porter, Texas. The company donates a lot to community and I like supporting that. What I dont like is paying $2 extra a quart for an oil im not sure is doing anything better than an oil I get off the shelf at wal-mart.

Both are very good oils. As far as the premium for RP? It comes down with what you want to do with your money. Your engine will not know the difference IMO.

You can support your local business that supports your local community knowing that part of the $2 a qt is going towards that....or you can support Pennzoil and Walmart...and what they might do charity wise in your area.

Welcome to BITOG! Hang around here long enough and you can form your own opinion. Both oils you mention are good oils and either would do the job for you. You pays your money and takes your choice! FWIW --Oldtommy

Only main difference I know is RP is a grp IV (pao base) oil. I use RP when I alternate oils (I have a few cases of it). I get bored and change oil brands regularly :^P

I`d love to give PP a try if I could find the 15W50.

Originally Posted By: cshaynes2000
Does Royal Purple offer any advantages over PP? RP is made in my little hometown of Porter, Texas. The company donates a lot to community and I like supporting that. What I dont like is paying $2 extra a quart for an oil im not sure is doing anything better than an oil I get off the shelf at wal-mart.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Royal Purple makes good stuff. Whether there is any advantage over Pennzoil Platinum depends on your car, your usage, and what you are looking for. If you want to give us some more details, then maybe we can flesh this out a bit.

However, I can tell you that if I had to pick between two good oils, and one of them came from a company that I wanted to support, I wouldn't be deterred by a difference of $2/qt. If I were in your position, I would be asking if there's any reason not to use Royal Purple -- and unless you have a brand new car that is still under warranty, or your car has very esoteric needs, there is probably no such reason.
wink.gif

But again, if you want to flesh it out just to be safe, tell us more about your car and how you drive, and we can go from there.

I'd be more comfortable running RP for 10-12k miles over PP and that would help offset it's extra cost. You should probably get a UOA at a reasonable interval though before you jump to 10k mile OCI's w/ any oil. A closer comparison would be Pennzoil Ultra vs. RP but Ultra is relatively new.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Hype vs Substance

Do you ever tire of the endless hate for RP?
I know I tire of your ranting. Or should I say, rant vs substance? No help to the OP whatsoever, but you get your daily dose of wahhh in.

To the OP, I use and like RP. They also make great filters, but both are at a premium price.
What you'll hear here mostly is based on the money. I don't care as it's trivial. If it's not for you, other oils may work as well for you.
It all depends on the car, your driving habits, etc. Post more details...

Go find those 5W-20 M1 vs. RP cam pics from the guy with the '07 Mustang GT, RP is doing something right.

If we ruled out companies based on stupid marketing and exaggerated claims, there wouldn't be much left to buy. No one here is dumb enough to seriously put stock in the RP adds horsepower junk, so focusing on that and ignoring the oil's actually performance is silly.

It's a good oil. My friend just ran it longer than RP's own suggestion and, save for some dirt getting past the air filter, it looked very good. That's what matters, not a purple unicorn.

Now, all that being said, PP is a good oil too. heh

Originally Posted By: gib
If we ruled out companies based on stupid marketing and exaggerated claims, there wouldn't be much left to buy.

Between Las Vegas taxi claims, 8 times less wear claims, cleanest piston claims, horsepower claims, and so forth, I think we'd all end up having to buy from the dealer or buy house brands from Walmart and the gas stations.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only main difference I know is RP is a grp IV (pao base) oil. I use RP when I alternate oils (I have a few cases of it). I get bored and change oil brands regularly :^P

Show us where RP is PAO -- I've not seen conclusive evidence of that...... Just opinions and conjecture....

I have verification from RP that their base stocks are majority PAO (Grp IV) and POE (Grp V) and have been for over 10 years, at least. The premium is for the basestocks.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed

Show us where RP is PAO -- I've not seen conclusive evidence of that...... Just opinions and conjecture....

I asked their tech support this question some months ago, they say it's Group IV and V.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Zedhed

I asked their tech support this question some months ago, they say it's Group IV and V.

Fact,as I've also chatted with RP and this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back